Author Topic: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....  (Read 4097325 times)

deputy dawg and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke your cigars and enjoy the band while you can....
« Reply #8925 on: September 01, 2011, 10:00:00 AM »
I think one completely believable/viable scenario is a BYU addition with ND joining for non-football sports.

Agree.  With an annual Notre Dame/Texas football game guaranteed as well.

Could also see the scenario where BYU would join the conference in football only and keep the rest of their sports in the WAC.  Albeit, I would really like them to join in basketball.

I can't see a scenario where ND joins in everything but football and BYU only joins in football. BYU will move all of their non-football sports here if they get to play ND.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #8926 on: September 01, 2011, 10:05:18 AM »
I think one completely believable/viable scenario is a BYU addition with ND joining for non-football sports.

Agree.  With an annual Notre Dame/Texas football game guaranteed as well.

Could also see the scenario where BYU would join the conference in football only and keep the rest of their sports in the WAC.  Albeit, I would really like them to join in basketball.

I think it's a full join.  If the goal is exposure for BYU (to promote the flagship LDS school), getting BYU on all of our various outlets and letting them put third-tier programming on their own network pretty much fulfills all of their goals.

The thing about ND joining as a non-football member, but "partnering" with BYU and Texas, is that they basically get to design their own network strategy (by watching the LHN) and see how a staunch religious institution like BYU with their mission can function in our environment.

It's basically like designing and testing your lifeboat with real life examples in the event you ever need it.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8927 on: September 01, 2011, 10:11:17 AM »
Joe C. was on local sports radio last night and he said (if i remember it all correctly)

- OU and OSU are going to be together no matter what happens

- OU has no desire to split with Texas, Kansas, and Kansas State (encouraging that he mentioned KSU by name)

- Laughed when asked if OU was currently entertaining offers to leave...said that he wouldn't waste his time and be a part of a special search committee for the conference if they were leaving

- The conference has had a plan in place for quite a while in regards to this...it wasn't a shock to anyone that A&M is leaving

although it was a radio intervew and people will say whatever helps their cause, it made me feel at ease that the main players (UT, OU) are working on the conference and not on their own exit plans.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8928 on: September 01, 2011, 10:15:09 AM »
IMHO, at this point the Big 12 needs to bolster confidence in the league staying in tact and allowing Notre Dame or BYU partial conference status doesn't necessarily do that. I think ND is unlikely, but I would think you could still pull BYU in as a full member.

I also think it helps the Big 12 to get back to 12 teams. Staying at 9/10 continues to make things appear unstable b/c if a couple teams leave you possibly lose BCS status. Pulling in a couple more like Memphis and Louisville increases your footprint, but still maintains some regional aspects while still allowing for attrition should Missouri or someone else decide they want to leave again at some point.

If the Big 12/Texas is unable to do this, I hope teams that might want to leave (OU/OSU, Missouri) just go ahead and do it so we can quit stringing this thing along. Idealy I think the best interest for K-State is a stable Big 12/staying with Texas, but if that's not going to happen we need to know so we can move on.

Offline username

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8929 on: September 01, 2011, 10:16:18 AM »
Joe C. was on local sports radio last night and he said (if i remember it all correctly)

- OU and OSU are going to be together no matter what happens

- OU has no desire to split with Texas, Kansas, and Kansas State (encouraging that he mentioned KSU by name)

- Laughed when asked if OU was currently entertaining offers to leave...said that he wouldn't waste his time and be a part of a special search committee for the conference if they were leaving

- The conference has had a plan in place for quite a while in regards to this...it wasn't a shock to anyone that A&M is leaving

although it was a radio intervew and people will say whatever helps their cause, it made me feel at ease that the main players (UT, OU) are working on the conference and not on their own exit plans.

thank you for sharing that. that is encouraging.

Offline kst8cat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8930 on: September 01, 2011, 10:28:05 AM »
IMHO, at this point the Big 12 needs to bolster confidence in the league staying in tact and allowing Notre Dame or BYU partial conference status doesn't necessarily do that. I think ND is unlikely, but I would think you could still pull BYU in as a full member.

I also think it helps the Big 12 to get back to 12 teams. Staying at 9/10 continues to make things appear unstable b/c if a couple teams leave you possibly lose BCS status. Pulling in a couple more like Memphis and Louisville increases your footprint, but still maintains some regional aspects while still allowing for attrition should Missouri or someone else decide they want to leave again at some point.

If the Big 12/Texas is unable to do this, I hope teams that might want to leave (OU/OSU, Missouri) just go ahead and do it so we can quit stringing this thing along. Idealy I think the best interest for K-State is a stable Big 12/staying with Texas, but if that's not going to happen we need to know so we can move on.

I would rather it get strung out and get a few more years of  :kstategrad: than to have to move on to a lesser conference in 2012.

catzacker

« Reply #8931 on: September 01, 2011, 10:28:39 AM »

The problem is Missouri.  And it will always be Missouri until basically the big 10 and sec gets to 14 or 16 (sans MU).   Nobody else wants the big 12 to go away or wants to leave the big 12 (either because they couldn’t or because they don’t want to).   What would force people to stay is a steeper penalty.  Not just limited revenue, but an actual penalty on top of that (i.e. 20million).  This would virtually guarantee MU (and most anyone else sans Texas) from staying.  

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8932 on: September 01, 2011, 10:34:44 AM »
what is it about this thread that makes everyone complete retards when it comes to what an absolute is and how no one says exactly what they mean. Good Grief.

Is it an absolute that no one says exactly what they mean?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8933 on: September 01, 2011, 10:39:31 AM »
what is it about this thread that makes everyone complete retards when it comes to what an absolute is and how no one says exactly what they mean. Good Grief.

Is it an absolute that no one says exactly what they mean?

possibly! :surprised:

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8934 on: September 01, 2011, 10:41:28 AM »

As soon as I can get around to writing it on our blog, my prediction is that we end up offering Pitt, Louisville, and BYU, WVU becomes SEC #14, and the Big East becomes a strange hybrid of existing schools and the best of what they can grab from C-USA.

If you map out an East/West Big 12 with the following divisions, it looks doable:

Big 12 East:
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Iowa State
Louisville
Pitt

Big 12 West:
BYU
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Pitt and Louisville get to be in an area that's not horribly geographically awful for the majority of their sports, and the basketball division would simply be fantastic and up to par with the night in/night out competition in the Big East.  BYU gets to play in a division that's heavy in television appearances, which allows them to get BYU on TV and furthering interest in their program and school (even though this is the much stronger football division).

I know that everyone is scratching their head on Pitt, and where this is coming from, but I'm almost positive that there's a vibe going on in the backchannels that the SEC and WVU realize that this is the partnership that's ultimately going to happen for #14, and Pitt wants a guaranteed lifeboat because their main Big East rival is going bye bye, and no matter what anyone says, the Big East is by far the most vulnerable conference due to geography, lack of a tent pole football program, and an albatross of eight basketball only schools that hold a lot of sway in what the conference does.  

I mean, for God's sake, they have to hold off expansion talks in the Big East because they're waiting on Villanova, who they had to ultimately reject/put on hold because their plan was to play their home games in an 18,500 seat soccer stadium.

WVU will be school #14.  Pitt and Louisville probably know this is a possibility/probability, and they're going to be looking for the first wagon out of Dodge when that happens.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8935 on: September 01, 2011, 10:50:58 AM »

As soon as I can get around to writing it on our blog, my prediction is that we end up offering Pitt, Louisville, and BYU, WVU becomes SEC #14, and the Big East becomes a strange hybrid of existing schools and the best of what they can grab from C-USA.

If you map out an East/West Big 12 with the following divisions, it looks doable:

Big 12 East:
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Iowa State
Louisville
Pitt

Big 12 West:
BYU
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

Pitt and Louisville get to be in an area that's not horribly geographically awful for the majority of their sports, and the basketball division would simply be fantastic and up to par with the night in/night out competition in the Big East.  BYU gets to play in a division that's heavy in television appearances, which allows them to get BYU on TV and furthering interest in their program and school (even though this is the much stronger football division).

I know that everyone is scratching their head on Pitt, and where this is coming from, but I'm almost positive that there's a vibe going on in the backchannels that the SEC and WVU realize that this is the partnership that's ultimately going to happen for #14, and Pitt wants a guaranteed lifeboat because their main Big East rival is going bye bye, and no matter what anyone says, the Big East is by far the most vulnerable conference due to geography, lack of a tent pole football program, and an albatross of eight basketball only schools that hold a lot of sway in what the conference does.  

I mean, for God's sake, they have to hold off expansion talks in the Big East because they're waiting on Villanova, who they had to ultimately reject/put on hold because their plan was to play their home games in an 18,500 seat soccer stadium.

WVU will be school #14.  Pitt and Louisville probably know this is a possibility/probability, and they're going to be looking for the first wagon out of Dodge when that happens.

Yum! Center   :love:
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #8936 on: September 01, 2011, 10:51:05 AM »

Big 12 East:
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Iowa State
Louisville
Pitt

Big 12 West:
BYU
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

I like this. East Division would need to be renamed "Roundball Division" and West to "Fooball Division".
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8937 on: September 01, 2011, 10:53:54 AM »
Screw going back to 12, I want the big 12 to be the first to 16 (with ND).  

I believe Delaney and Scott's endgame is 16 and the SEC will go to 16 because the other two have.  Deloss has got to be tired of reacting to what other schools do;  I hope he is ready to be aggressor.

Let ND pick their pod, they never have to play a road game @KSU or @KU - play both in arrowhead or @ISU - Soldier Field?

What's not to love?

Offline Scary Smart

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8938 on: September 01, 2011, 11:33:09 AM »
I know that it's been mentioned before, but this thread is such a rough ridin' emotional roller coaster.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8939 on: September 01, 2011, 11:40:56 AM »

Big 12 East:
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Iowa State
Louisville
Pitt

Big 12 West:
BYU
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State

I like this. East Division would need to be renamed "Roundball Division" and West to "Fooball Division".

Why? We are a 2 sport school. We go to bowl games and the NCAA tourn  :kstategrad:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8940 on: September 01, 2011, 11:52:53 AM »
Division A:

K-State
Iowa State
Colorado State
Houston
SMU
Texas State

Division B:

New Mexico
New Mexico State
Boise State
Utah State
Fresno State
Idaho

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8941 on: September 01, 2011, 11:58:32 AM »
Division A:

K-State
Iowa State
Colorado State
Houston
SMU
Texas State North Texas

Division B:

New Mexico
New Mexico State
Boise State
Utah State
Fresno State
Idaho

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8942 on: September 01, 2011, 11:59:28 AM »
Division A:

K-State
Iowa State
Colorado State
Houston
SMU
Texas State

Division B:

New Mexico
New Mexico State
Boise State
Utah State
Fresno State
Idaho

I think we would stick with Baylor if it came to that. Also, If KU finds a home, I doubt Tech will.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8943 on: September 01, 2011, 12:01:03 PM »
Division A:

K-State
Iowa State
Colorado State
Houston
SMU
Texas State North Texas

Division B:

New Mexico
New Mexico State
Boise State
Utah State
Fresno State
Idaho

oh crap, now you've done it.  42 is going to murder your ass.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8944 on: September 01, 2011, 12:02:02 PM »
Division A:

K-State
Iowa State
Colorado State
Houston
SMU
Texas State

Division B:

New Mexico
New Mexico State
Boise State
Utah State
Fresno State
Idaho

:dubious:

Don't make me be mad at you.

Offline bakerman

• Big Salt Spokesperson
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8945 on: September 01, 2011, 12:08:46 PM »
Division A:

K-State
Iowa State
Colorado State
Houston
SMU
Texas State North Texas

Division B:

New Mexico
New Mexico State
Boise State
Utah State
Fresno State
Idaho

oh crap, now you've done it.  42 is going to murder your ass.

I thought you just skipped over my posts?

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8946 on: September 01, 2011, 12:13:42 PM »
i literally have  no idea who you are  :horrorsurprise:

Offline Boom Roasted

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #8947 on: September 01, 2011, 12:18:24 PM »
Do Mormons eat meat goats?  If so, bring on BYU.
 :kstategrad:

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8948 on: September 01, 2011, 12:20:45 PM »
ew2x4, chunkles, pissclams, Lefty, I_have_purplewood, leroylulu, Panjandrum, Cleveland, Boom Roasted, scott8814, WillieWatanabe, bigwillie20, chum1, jtksu, geesiskryst, wetwillie, slucat, ksu_FAN, Eliteo, MeatSauce, brm7070, Prince McJunkins, EMAWgeddon, EMAWgasm, kst8cat, purplehaze, C_Manbeck, yoEMAW, kitten_mittons, The Minister, Perry, Stupid Fitz, KSNimrod, 06wildcat, LilSmokyMcIntyre, Wildcat Dynasty, john "teach me how to" dougie, doom, wazucat, username, O-town Kat (+ 1 Hidden) and 51 Guests are viewing this board.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8949 on: September 01, 2011, 12:30:24 PM »
aren't we owed a mizzou announcement this afternoon?