Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 378431 times)

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4250 on: September 28, 2021, 03:00:29 PM »
yeah it's all about the land, and for good reason

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4251 on: September 28, 2021, 03:13:22 PM »
I think that farm and ranch related stress is possibly going to kill my dad. Inter- and intragenerational problems with no clear boundaries, structure, roles, succession plans - just farm until you drop over dead. It feels like he is trapped. It is ruining any nostalgia I had left for growing up on a farm.
Honestly I think my dad is kind of going through the same thing. It's just not as much fun for him.

This is prob pretty normal (I have no idea, but it makes sense). Guys have worked their asses off every day their whole lives and don't know or really want anything different. I guess its like the guy that went to his regular job every day until they basically made him retire. Farmer guys don't get that option if they don't have family that want to take it over I guess. One thing I have learned about farms is that the land is really really rough ridin' important to some people in the families. I'm fairly certain my MIL would sell a body part to keep 1/10th of an acre of her family's land. Other people in the family would have sold it off a long time ago.
No one in my generation has really shown an interest in getting into farming - possibly because the older generations never showed any signs of wanting to give up control of any of it.

My dad feels bad - like a deep guilt from shirking duty - anytime that he is not working. He knows it isn't healthy but it is really hard for him to enjoy things like vacations, hobbies, etc. Makes me mad and I feel bad for him at the same time. My grandpa never lost enthusiasm for farming - he just can't physically do it any more. Unfortunately, he never passed control of his farming projects onto the next generation so other people who already have already bitten off more than they can reasonably chew are trying to keep things going for him. It's a real mess and I'm not sure there is a healthy way for dad to extract himself from the situation. I used to admire the way grandpa loved his work and it is good to enjoy your work but there is a point when it all becomes unhealthy.

[gE, feel free to send me a bill for using the board instead of going back to therapy]

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4252 on: September 28, 2021, 03:35:53 PM »
I think that farm and ranch related stress is possibly going to kill my dad. Inter- and intragenerational problems with no clear boundaries, structure, roles, succession plans - just farm until you drop over dead. It feels like he is trapped. It is ruining any nostalgia I had left for growing up on a farm.
Honestly I think my dad is kind of going through the same thing. It's just not as much fun for him.

This is prob pretty normal (I have no idea, but it makes sense). Guys have worked their asses off every day their whole lives and don't know or really want anything different. I guess its like the guy that went to his regular job every day until they basically made him retire. Farmer guys don't get that option if they don't have family that want to take it over I guess. One thing I have learned about farms is that the land is really really rough ridin' important to some people in the families. I'm fairly certain my MIL would sell a body part to keep 1/10th of an acre of her family's land. Other people in the family would have sold it off a long time ago.
No one in my generation has really shown an interest in getting into farming - possibly because the older generations never showed any signs of wanting to give up control of any of it.

My dad feels bad - like a deep guilt from shirking duty - anytime that he is not working. He knows it isn't healthy but it is really hard for him to enjoy things like vacations, hobbies, etc. Makes me mad and I feel bad for him at the same time. My grandpa never lost enthusiasm for farming - he just can't physically do it any more. Unfortunately, he never passed control of his farming projects onto the next generation so other people who already have already bitten off more than they can reasonably chew are trying to keep things going for him. It's a real mess and I'm not sure there is a healthy way for dad to extract himself from the situation. I used to admire the way grandpa loved his work and it is good to enjoy your work but there is a point when it all becomes unhealthy.

[gE, feel free to send me a bill for using the board instead of going back to therapy]

My wife's family just has someone farm it for them. I have zero interest, but have said that if they want to keep it, we at least need to know who to call if something happens. I'm sure that is going to be a mess when they are gone. I'm sure that would probably be really hard for your dad, but maybe its an option?  :dunno:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4253 on: September 28, 2021, 03:50:24 PM »

My wife's family just has someone farm it for them. I have zero interest, but have said that if they want to keep it, we at least need to know who to call if something happens. I'm sure that is going to be a mess when they are gone. I'm sure that would probably be really hard for your dad, but maybe its an option?  :dunno:
This is a good idea. I think having more (or maybe all) of the crop ground custom-farmed could be part of a solution for him. I think he derives enjoyment from his cow/calf operation but as far I can tell, all the aspects of cash grain production are pure drudgery for him.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #4254 on: September 28, 2021, 03:54:12 PM »
I was able to buy my 10 acres because 7 of 8 3rd generation kids wanted nothing to do with farming. The family chopped up 100 acres with road frontage into deep lots. Sold the back 100 acres and 2 lots to 1 of the 8. He's now in debt for $1.2M.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4255 on: September 29, 2021, 08:09:32 AM »

From personal experience and talking to neighbors, this is very common.  My parents estate was a screwed up mess that took several years to unwind.  Infact it could be a case study of what not to do.  All because dad wouldn't give up control of the one thing that defined/gave meaning to his life, his farm.  I could write a book about this family,  :lol:.

Your dad should look into estate planning himself just to get an idea where he will be/wants to be in 10 years.  Also, cultivate some hobbies outside of work.  good luck to your dad.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4256 on: September 29, 2021, 08:42:40 AM »

From personal experience and talking to neighbors, this is very common.  My parents estate was a screwed up mess that took several years to unwind.  Infact it could be a case study of what not to do.  All because dad wouldn't give up control of the one thing that defined/gave meaning to his life, his farm.  I could write a book about this family,  :lol:.

Your dad should look into estate planning himself just to get an idea where he will be/wants to be in 10 years.  Also, cultivate some hobbies outside of work.  good luck to your dad.
This is good. Thanks

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4257 on: September 29, 2021, 05:34:02 PM »
Anyone have an extra 25 million laying around?

https://americanlandbroker.com/detail/kansas-gentleman's-farm-wallace-kansas/21268/

Seems a little high for 3500 acres even if most of it's irrigated.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4258 on: September 29, 2021, 05:44:42 PM »
ogallala irrigated land is not something I'd invest in at all. pay cut rate for dry land next door. it'll all be the same in our lifetimes.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4259 on: September 29, 2021, 05:46:29 PM »
and the fact that you can grow dry land corn in Meade, KS right now because of science makes the irrigated not worth the effort anyway (in our lifetimes, not now)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4260 on: September 29, 2021, 05:57:53 PM »
Needs more strippers.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4261 on: September 30, 2021, 06:28:02 AM »
I'm in if AST agrees to live in the guest house and be full time cook.

Turn it into a goEMAW farmer retreat for the fathers and grandfathers on here that can't give up farming.  I would just sit around and listen to all the great stories.

Milo and Tater could run for miles and cool off under a sprinkler head before rounding up all the cats for the evening and snacking on morsels of smoked pork belly.

Seriously,  I am watching dryland property in NEKS go for 4-5k recently and none of them came with equipment or a 6k sqft house.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4262 on: September 30, 2021, 07:25:37 AM »
I grew up listening to farmers constantly talk about what land was going for. just befuddled that anyone would pay what they were paying for land right then. and I'm guessing it has been that way since we decided land could be owned and it will always be that way. and prices have only gone one direction for the history of time. it's a great thing to have. my dad obsessively watches land come for sale and works deals 24/7/365 to acquire it and then tells me what outrageous price he paid for it per acre like I know what is good or bad. it's all just big numbers to me. and it's almost exclusively just garbage pasture or sw ks dryland. but he's wild for it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4263 on: September 30, 2021, 07:27:56 AM »
you want to hear some farm mafia stuff? there is a wooden bridge just in the middle of our ranch over a creek bed that you can drive over. it has a sign on it that says "5 MPH" and it's kept up by the state. so you're driving through just grass for miles and miles and all of a sudden there's a sign that says "5 mph" and a wooden bridge you can drive over for no reason. Like 70 years ago they got dirt or sand or some crap or something else off our property in exchange for them building this bridge they drove over and agreeing to keep it up after they did it? something like that. they tried to back out of this agreement 50 years ago and like our ranch sued them and won and they have to keep up this bridge to nowhere in the middle of nowhere for no reason for eternity. well, it's in bad shape and needs to be replaced. so the state called my dad and offered him $200k to get out of the agreement. literally nobody has driven over this thing for the last 50 years and not even cows walk across it because the creek is dry AF. my dad said he'd have to run it by his attorney.

Update, they have settled on $225k and this deal is done. I'm guessing my dad's attorney is going to take most of that $25k negotiated markup as his fee on the deal. but you can't take the first offer!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4264 on: September 30, 2021, 07:41:35 AM »

Turn it into a goEMAW farmer retreat for the fathers and grandfathers on here that can't give up farming.  I would just sit around and listen to all the great stories.

Milo and Tater could run for miles and cool off under a sprinkler head before rounding up all the cats for the evening and snacking on morsels of smoked pork belly.

Seriously,  I am watching dryland property in NEKS go for 4-5k recently and none of them came with equipment or a 6k sqft house.

Tom

This sounds great and all but my biggest issue (besides the 25 million) would be the lack of an actual real windbreak.

The top of this photo is North where you would want your largest/thickest windbreak! Unbelievably piss poor wind break design and execution here IMO.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4265 on: September 30, 2021, 07:48:43 AM »
Plant some cedars, Benji!

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #4266 on: September 30, 2021, 08:10:44 AM »

Tom

This sounds great and all but my biggest issue (besides the 25 million) would be the lack of an actual real windbreak.

The top of this photo is North where you would want your largest/thickest windbreak! Unbelievably piss poor wind break design and execution here IMO.

Build a giant wall with windmills attached to it. Problem solved.  :gocho:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4267 on: September 30, 2021, 08:19:04 AM »
Can't wait until some rich guy who considers himself outdoorsy from the west coast buys it. First time he pulls up in early December with his crew to go hunt they get bitch slapped with 25mph winds and blowing dust/corn husks from the harvested corn field 100 yards away while it's 40 degrees outside.

The next morning they step outside and it's the same thing.

They spend the rest of the week in the house hoping for better weather then never return.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4268 on: September 30, 2021, 09:28:21 AM »
I grew up listening to farmers constantly talk about what land was going for. just befuddled that anyone would pay what they were paying for land right then. and I'm guessing it has been that way since we decided land could be owned and it will always be that way. and prices have only gone one direction for the history of time. it's a great thing to have. my dad obsessively watches land come for sale and works deals 24/7/365 to acquire it and then tells me what outrageous price he paid for it per acre like I know what is good or bad. it's all just big numbers to me. and it's almost exclusively just garbage pasture or sw ks dryland. but he's wild for it.
"ya know the thing about land.. they aren't making more of it" - everyone who over pays for land

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4269 on: September 30, 2021, 10:05:01 AM »
At least the foreman/hired hand's house has a halfway decent windbreak. Swimming pool too!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4270 on: September 30, 2021, 11:11:04 AM »
Classic barndominium

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4271 on: September 30, 2021, 11:35:10 AM »
you want to hear some farm mafia stuff? there is a wooden bridge just in the middle of our ranch over a creek bed that you can drive over. it has a sign on it that says "5 MPH" and it's kept up by the state. so you're driving through just grass for miles and miles and all of a sudden there's a sign that says "5 mph" and a wooden bridge you can drive over for no reason. Like 70 years ago they got dirt or sand or some crap or something else off our property in exchange for them building this bridge they drove over and agreeing to keep it up after they did it? something like that. they tried to back out of this agreement 50 years ago and like our ranch sued them and won and they have to keep up this bridge to nowhere in the middle of nowhere for no reason for eternity. well, it's in bad shape and needs to be replaced. so the state called my dad and offered him $200k to get out of the agreement. literally nobody has driven over this thing for the last 50 years and not even cows walk across it because the creek is dry AF. my dad said he'd have to run it by his attorney.

Update, they have settled on $225k and this deal is done. I'm guessing my dad's attorney is going to take most of that $25k negotiated markup as his fee on the deal. but you can't take the first offer!

sddad played hardball and totally clownsuited the state, nicely done.  It will be the talk of the farm guys while they sip coffee down at the Stop 2 Shop or whatever the local gas station/gossipy hangout spot is.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4272 on: September 30, 2021, 08:25:51 PM »
I found a truck for the new goEMAW farm

Tom

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4273 on: September 30, 2021, 09:10:51 PM »
what are we thinking that hot POA goes for?

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4274 on: September 30, 2021, 09:14:28 PM »
That's a rough ridin' beauty. Just made for hauling feed sacks and dirt around.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.