Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 110517 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #125 on: December 15, 2011, 08:32:52 AM »
if you're comparing interest rates between all of your loans, then you might not want to pay anything off early because you'd prefer to use that extra cash for paying interest on your next loan.

It's really about comparing interest rates to inflation. If I can get a loan at 3%, that is probably well below the inflation rate over the period of the loan, so I would come out ahead paying the minimum and investing whatever I would have applied to the loan to pay it off early. This plan does not really work if you just pay the minimum and use the extra money to buy things like tv's, furniture, etc.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 15, 2011, 10:22:59 AM »
if you're comparing interest rates between all of your loans, then you might not want to pay anything off early because you'd prefer to use that extra cash for paying interest on your next loan.

It's really about comparing interest rates to inflation. If I can get a loan at 3%, that is probably well below the inflation rate over the period of the loan, so I would come out ahead paying the minimum and investing whatever I would have applied to the loan to pay it off early. This plan does not really work if you just pay the minimum and use the extra money to buy things like tv's, furniture, etc.

What about fancy suits and elite cologne?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 15, 2011, 10:32:43 AM »

Those don't work, either. Items that actually appreciate in value, like some jewelry and interestingly enough, Rolexes, do apply.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 15, 2011, 10:59:14 AM »

Those don't work, either. Items that actually appreciate in value, like some jewelry and interestingly enough, Rolexes, do apply.

Good!   :kstategrad:

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 15, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
I recently refinanced my home at 3.875%. Cut $200 off my payment a month.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 16, 2011, 03:45:02 PM »
torts did u get my pm

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 21, 2012, 06:13:12 PM »
will the new host of prop virgins keep them in first place over house hunters?

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 21, 2012, 09:11:00 PM »
looking to buy a house this year as well, but I am really lazy and have no motivation to look.

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 21, 2012, 09:43:05 PM »
looking to buy a house this year as well, but I am really lazy and have no motivation to look.

looking for a house can be fun  :D

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2012, 10:07:46 PM »

yeah, it's really hard.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 21, 2012, 10:16:20 PM »
I think I looked at 50 houses before buying.  It SUCKS.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 21, 2012, 10:26:37 PM »
Seriously considering my next home to be a duplex where I own both sides and try to rent to people not like Mr. Mom in Pacific Heights.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 21, 2012, 10:29:24 PM »
i've owned three houses in my life. two of them i still own/pay mortgage payments on. i've walked into a total of four houses with the thoughts of buying them. just not that hard folks.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 21, 2012, 10:30:33 PM »
i've owned three houses in my life. two of them i still own/pay mortgage payments on. i've walked into a total of four houses with the thoughts of buying them. just not that hard folks.

Agreed.  I can look on a website, check out the photos, do the "street view" thingy, and pretty much know whether it's a "go" or not.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 21, 2012, 10:44:10 PM »

Can you do some online research for me and point me to the good buys in Johnson county? Thanks.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2012, 10:45:12 PM »

Can you do some online research for me and point me to the good buys in Johnson county? Thanks.

Yes.  What's your budget?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2012, 10:45:22 PM »

it is hard, you don't know.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 22, 2012, 10:05:09 AM »
will the new host of prop virgins keep them in first place over house hunters?

I don't think I will like this new host. She doesn't seem to have Sandra's charm and personality judging from the previews.

Not digging the new host at all. Sandra was very professional and educated about real estate. The new host slurs through words and phrases quickly (as if she's eating them,) had a dress on that was too short and tight for the task at hand - selling real estate (she was dressed more for Hollywood than for selling real estate) and was bland. Can't hold a candle to Sandra; she very obviously has no real estate savvy and it shows. I really miss Sandra and hope that HGTV picks up her new show because I'm done with Property Virgins. It's like a boring rehash of House Hunters (another show that HGTV ruined by removing the one-time host, Suzanne Wong.) HGTV has a great track record of destroying wonderful shows (Designed to Sell) by dumping fantastic hosts (Lisa and Clive) and replacing them with low-quality knockoffs (Tanya Nayak, Monica Pederson) who must cost a lot less because they sure give a lot less to the audience.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 22, 2012, 12:57:54 PM »
I am probably buying a house this year too, pretty excited, not too worried

Offline Pendergast

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 22, 2012, 09:14:49 PM »

When it comes to financing:
-  Put 20% down, or get there fast. If you can't get to 20% within a year, you shouldn't be buying.

What the eff?  Or you could live somewhere besides the midwest.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 22, 2012, 09:29:36 PM »

-  Put 20% down, or get there fast. If you can't get to 20% within a year, you shouldn't be buying.

Yes, this is absolutely horrible advice. Especially if you dont plan on living there forever.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2012, 10:12:16 AM »

Yes, this is absolutely horrible advice. Especially if you dont plan on living there forever.

PMI is a waste of money. Might as well flush hundred down the toilet every month instead. And if you don't plan to live in the house for at least 4 years, you typically shouldn't buy because of the costs of buying and selling a home. In addition to closing costs at purchase, you're going to have weaselly agents 3 to 6% when you sell.

Also, the idea that you can earn a better return by investing what you would otherwise spend on a higher mortgage payment sounds great in theory, except that most people don't invest that money. In addition, a 15 year mortgage is about .75% lower interest than a 30 year.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2012, 10:19:04 AM »

-  Put 20% down, or get there fast. If you can't get to 20% within a year, you shouldn't be buying.

What the eff?  Or you could live somewhere besides the midwest.

PMI is a waste of money. Might as well flush hundred down the toilet every month instead. And if you don't plan to live in the house for at least 4 years, you typically shouldn't buy because of the costs of buying and selling a home. In addition to closing costs at purchase, you're going to have weaselly agents 3 to 6% when you sell.

Also, the idea that you can earn a better return by investing what you would otherwise spend on a higher mortgage payment sounds great in theory, except that most people don't invest that money. In addition, a 15 year mortgage is about .75% lower interest than a 30 year.

Wait.  So you're telling me things are easier if you have a bunch of liquid assets ready to buy stuff without financing?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:03:55 AM by Tortuga »

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2012, 10:24:36 AM »
anybody who spends anything on a place to live is just wasting their money. screw that idiot and his stupid "you have to have 20% down" comment. instead, why not just take that 20% and invest it and then go live under a bridge somewhere. my god what is society coming to in this country.  :facepalm:

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 23, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »

:jerk:  Put 10% down on the primary and get a concurrent piggyback HELOC for the other 10%.  No PMI and you don't have to tie up a bunch of money in an illiquid asset.  With rates what they are right now, borrow as much money as you can for as long as you can.  Then just don't be a total rough ridin' moron with your money.  If you have to give more money to the bank so you don't blow it on lottery tickets and bobblehead dolls, you don't have the self-restraint necessary to be a homeowner anyway.
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."