Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 110596 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #1175 on: March 30, 2022, 04:47:18 PM »
idk fellas, this outlet looks pretty rank and i'm a little afraid to even look at it. 

fwiw i've changed out outlets before who do you think you're talking to?  but the outlets i changed out were tame and docile.  scary garage outlet is a whole other can of worms (worms may be living in it)

Let that ckt stay off, then take the outlet off the circuit(take the pluggie thing out of it's box, disconnect the wires from it's sides, let the wires just kinda sit there pointing into space and not touching each other) then try to flip the breaker again and see if it stays on.  If so, change that outlet and don't GAF about how mumped it looks.  If that doesn't work, call a guy.  It could be a crap ton of things.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: March 30, 2022, 04:52:17 PM »
This man's name is CNS, listen to him.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: March 30, 2022, 04:59:32 PM »
i've already arranged for the electric man to visit my home tomorrow.  on the phone i told him i replaced the breaker all by myself so he knows i'm not to be trifled with.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: March 30, 2022, 05:05:32 PM »
Probably a good idea.  I try not to mess with water or power.  Both are catastrophes waiting to befall you.  I can mess up paint and still have a house in the morning. 

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: March 30, 2022, 05:10:40 PM »
Power I'm fine with to the extent of swapping out outlets and I even ran a new line in my new place to my media room tech area and basement freezer.  Never got into the breaker box, I'd probably stop there.

Plumbing I hate.  I do basic stuff because I don't want to pay but hate it.  Always be leaking!

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
House buying/owning advice
« Reply #1180 on: March 30, 2022, 06:11:44 PM »
Probably a good idea.  I try not to mess with water or power.  Both are catastrophes waiting to befall you.  I can mess up paint and still have a house in the morning.
Yes water was my moment of brief triumph before fall. Our house shutoff valve (super old and located outside the house) rusted off so I tried to replace it and successfully turned the water off using the replacement. Then in the process of trying to turn it back on I ended up making it spray water everywhere and calling the city to shut it off until a plumber could fix my screwup.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: March 30, 2022, 06:23:50 PM »
Anyone who is in the gamble with their house mood and up for some diy plumbing, check out Shark Bites. Your welcome. Unless you flood your house anyway, in that case, I told you so.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: March 30, 2022, 07:00:39 PM »
I have fully wired 3 houses from start to finish :gocho:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: March 30, 2022, 08:24:34 PM »
I will work on other ppls houses too but not mine unless I know I know.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: March 30, 2022, 09:08:57 PM »
I'm an EE so gotta live in it.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: March 30, 2022, 09:31:09 PM »
Switched out the breaker without killing myself but the new one is tripping too.  :angry:
Did you up the amps on the new breaker?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, the YouTube guy I watched was pretty emphatic about getting the exact same kind of breaker and amps.

Yeah, that is correct, don't ever do that.

Does it trip like right away, or does it take "time" ie it holds and then trips later.

So the garage breaker intermittently tripped (like maybe once every two months) for a while, but over the last month, it started tripping progressively more often (weeks --> days --> minutes).  Over the last week, it started tripping minutes after i flipped it, and eventually, after i messed around with it for a while, it would flip immediately.  After I replaced it, and as things are currently ;) ), it trips after a few minutes.

After I replaced it lastnight and it stayed good initially, i was ecstatic.  When I tested it again a few hours later and learned that it tripped again...I don't know if i've ever been more disappointed about anything in my whole entire stupid life.

I troubleshoot more or less for a living so this crap gets me excited rather than frustrated but understand when you don't know.

Reason I asked how long is breakers do two major things: overload and instantaneous protections (they have a timed component but that's really more to bridge the gap between the two). Overloads are like too many things plugged in, instantaneous would be a short (grounded). Given how you described it here I'd actually wager it's a conditional ground, ie, the right conditions have to be met, so something like how XcoloteThundarr had with moisture in something, or it could be a wire whose insulation is thin/worn out and as it heats up with current it expands and rubs into metal or a ground wire, or it's in the garage door openers/lights themselves and their operation triggers the short. It could also be that outlet, though it really depends on how it looks, scuffed shouldn't matter, but if it's pushed back or is askew or if it looks like something could get between the prongs that could do it.

I suppose it's hard to know but moisture does seem a likely culprit. I wonder how closely your issues are tied with snow/rain/high humidity days.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: March 30, 2022, 09:33:06 PM »
I am very curious though what it is, good luck tomorrow

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: March 31, 2022, 06:15:42 AM »
Very tied to rain/snow.  When I say “scuffed” I don’t mean like the surface is scratched.  I mean the entire thing looks messed up.  That outlet ain’t right.

I’ll update this thread later today.  Who knew electrical stuff got this blog so horned up?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: March 31, 2022, 06:39:30 AM »
Very tied to rain/snow.  When I say “scuffed” I don’t mean like the surface is scratched.  I mean the entire thing looks messed up.  That outlet ain’t right.

I’ll update this thread later today.  Who knew electrical stuff got this blog so horned up?
We’re all incredibly old now

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: March 31, 2022, 08:22:03 AM »

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: March 31, 2022, 08:28:49 AM »

Yup, the biggest things that get me going now are things like my new garage door, water heater, and dishwasher, all which I had to have replaced over the last year. Makes me feel very old

Though, electrical things should always cause a stir ;)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: March 31, 2022, 08:29:56 AM »
How tf does 2/3rd's of Americans own their own houses? How many rough ridin' boomers are still kicking?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: March 31, 2022, 08:32:18 AM »
Initial impression is that the line into the garage will need to be replaced and rerun to the house :blindfold:

They think the concrete in the garage (through which the line is run) settled and is messing with the line

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: March 31, 2022, 08:34:08 AM »
64% ownership according to census 2020 data.  I was surprised it was that high too.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: March 31, 2022, 08:34:44 AM »
Initial impression is that the line into the garage will need to be replaced and rerun to the house :blindfold:

Is this a tear up a crap ton of wall solution? 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: March 31, 2022, 08:35:51 AM »
I think it may be a tear the crap out of the concrete floor and possibly the yard and patio solution. 

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: March 31, 2022, 08:37:30 AM »
owning your home does not mean completely paid off mortgage.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: March 31, 2022, 08:45:02 AM »
is private equity ownership included in those ownership percentages?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: March 31, 2022, 08:45:39 AM »
is private equity ownership included in those ownership percentages?

that 64% came from the census household survey so I'd think not?

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: March 31, 2022, 08:46:36 AM »

I hate every single thing about home ownership.  Condo ownership is as committed as I can get and I still have to deal with too much.