Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 110417 times)

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #400 on: June 17, 2014, 08:56:50 AM »
advice:  If you think you are going to do a bunch of work on stuff, you won't after you get your couch and TV deployed.

i've lived in my house for a few years now and still haven't gotten around to hanging artwork :lol:

Offline NDSU Lollypopkid

• servicing the good witch
  • Dances With Wolves Aggie
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 17, 2014, 11:23:32 AM »
We started painting last summer and still need to do 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

titletown..lulz

Offline KSUblumpkin

• Dr. Blumpkin, Esquire
  • goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Combo-Fan
  • My awesomeness gives Bill Self diarrhea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 17, 2014, 04:49:04 PM »
Finally closing this Friday at 9am.  I have spent the better part of each one of my nights watering new sod on a 15,000 square foot lot.  It absolutely sucks.
#OperationMotorBoatCindy

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 17, 2014, 05:55:51 PM »
Finally closing this Friday at 9am.  I have spent the better part of each one of my nights watering new sod on a 15,000 square foot lot.  It absolutely sucks.

how long does it take you to turn on the sprinkler system?

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 17, 2014, 06:03:28 PM »

Dr. Blumpkin are you a blumpkin doctor in New Orleans? Because you must be a gabillionaire.

Don't ever move here, you'll prolly never have a dece. yard. :frown:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: June 17, 2014, 11:33:31 PM »
SB, house stilts!

Definitely helps in some areas, doesn't matter in other areas. The flood zones here as they apply to insurance rates aren't always what you might expect. It's a weird place to live. But yeah, it definitely hurts SB's heart to know that as long as long as I live here, I'll never have a kewl Cat Cave basement with a potential walkout like SD. :frown:

knowing I can't get a basement is very, very tough.  :frown:
emaw

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: June 18, 2014, 07:15:56 AM »

mine is an enormous swampy junge. It's 95 and windy today so I didn't think it was a good idea to shut down the sprinklers for 24-48 hours to let it dry enough to mow for the first time.  :ohno:

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #407 on: June 18, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »
So, it turns out that one of the bedrooms in our new home (which is 27 years old) is not connected to the HVAC system.  There's a vent there, duct work in the walls, but they never bothered to connect it to the main line.

So, they're going to find a way to rig it through my attic to save money and not rip my walls apart, but somehow that was not addressed in nearly 30 years.

Mind boggling.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 18, 2014, 07:05:53 PM »
So, it turns out that one of the bedrooms in our new home (which is 27 years old) is not connected to the HVAC system.  There's a vent there, duct work in the walls, but they never bothered to connect it to the main line.

So, they're going to find a way to rig it through my attic to save money and not rip my walls apart, but somehow that was not addressed in nearly 30 years.

Mind boggling.

Is/was your inspector a giant dumbfvck?

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 18, 2014, 07:51:33 PM »

Mind boggling.

Is/was your inspector a giant dumbfvck?
yes to this. I don't care what the contract you signed with that inspector. You should get a full refund. "Reasonable and acceptable something something. " lawyers, help me out here.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 18, 2014, 07:52:51 PM »
That's unforgivable.  Also pretty sketchy of the seller not to disclose that. 
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 18, 2014, 08:07:25 PM »
I had a reputable guy tell me that ks has a law that would allow you to collect damages from the builder in sitches where the work was never built to code.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 19, 2014, 12:39:32 PM »
I had a reputable guy tell me that ks has a law that would allow you to collect damages from the builder in sitches where the work was never built to code.

this is correct, and not just in Kansas.   BUT you are limited to a statute of limitations as to when a resonable person might have discovered the problem, and likely just the original occupant.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 19, 2014, 01:36:18 PM »
Your inspector is not off the hook. If you haven't notified him or your attorney, then I don't know what you have been doing for the past 24 hours, but it had better have been PRETTY DAMNED IMPORTANT!

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 19, 2014, 02:02:21 PM »
Just met with our banker and we have been pre-approved to buy a house up to eleventy trillion.
:kstategrad:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 19, 2014, 02:23:16 PM »
Also, check code requirements in your municipality regarding air supply/return.  I would assume that to represent and sell something as having x  many bedrooms, that all bedrooms would need to have supply and return air.  Since yours doesn't, assuming the above, the owner you bought from may be liable for misrepresented the house and could be liable for the costs to meet air requirements.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 19, 2014, 02:24:09 PM »
Just met with our banker and we have been pre-approved to buy a house up to eleventy trillion.

Garden District!   Buy mannings neighbors house!

Offline KSUblumpkin

• Dr. Blumpkin, Esquire
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: June 19, 2014, 03:10:31 PM »

how long does it take you to turn on the sprinkler system?

Wishing I would have upgraded to a sprinkler system instead of the "classic" watering approach I took.  The lawn looks fricking awesome now. 
#OperationMotorBoatCindy

Offline KSUblumpkin

• Dr. Blumpkin, Esquire
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 19, 2014, 03:12:33 PM »

mine is an enormous swampy junge. It's 95 and windy today so I didn't think it was a good idea to shut down the sprinklers for 24-48 hours to let it dry enough to mow for the first time.  :ohno:

I hear you SD.  I am drying mine out now after two weeks of solid watering.  I will water it lightly the next week and mow after the end of the third week.  I am debating waiting till the one month mark, but I have no clue what I am doing so it will probably be after the three week mark.
#OperationMotorBoatCindy

Offline KSUblumpkin

• Dr. Blumpkin, Esquire
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 19, 2014, 03:14:29 PM »

Baller!
#OperationMotorBoatCindy

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: June 19, 2014, 03:20:30 PM »

take the money but don't buy a house.  move into the rent controlled apartments near fanman in the river market and invest the living crap out of the rest.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 19, 2014, 03:42:02 PM »

CNS do you live in NOLA? Can we 'pak? :excited:

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 19, 2014, 04:13:37 PM »

CNS do you live in NOLA? Can we 'pak? :excited:

I wish, SB.  Kinda, anyway.

Kinda w re to living there,  paking would be great.

Offline KSUblumpkin

• Dr. Blumpkin, Esquire
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 19, 2014, 04:36:59 PM »

Dr. Blumpkin are you a blumpkin doctor in New Orleans? Because you must be a gabillionaire.

Don't ever move here, you'll prolly never have a dece. yard. :frown:

I wish.  I am stuck in Ames freaking Iowa.  I am now the proud owner of 15,000 square foot yard in the land of floods and mold.  Iowa State fans are the absolute worst.  I am the only KSU fan in the neighborhood. 
#OperationMotorBoatCindy

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #424 on: June 19, 2014, 04:37:05 PM »
Your inspector is not off the hook. If you haven't notified him or your attorney, then I don't know what you have been doing for the past 24 hours, but it had better have been PRETTY DAMNED IMPORTANT!

Gonna win 'em all!

It's all behind the walls, though.  I'm not sure if there's much I can do in that regard.

Of course, I have no idea what I'm doing here.