Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 110596 times)

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #300 on: April 18, 2014, 08:30:06 AM »
"Your credit rates are.........better than mine" - loan officer to me today

But on that note, how do you tell the loan officer than you had been working with that you found someone who has better rates? I feel pretty bad about it, I've been working with him for about a month.

you just tell him. it's a business.

Will an e-mail suffice? Phone call? Do I need to stop by?

Do I owe him any money for the time he's already spent with me?

How soon are you wanting to close?  If you're wanting to close within 30 days of the sale then I'd ask them both point blank if they will guarantee everything will be ready to go on your target closing day.  I'm pretty sure part of the job description for loan officers is "agree to a closing date.  Assure buyer everything is in order.  Give exactly zero effs, get around to it whenever you feel like it."

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 18, 2014, 08:34:39 AM »

But on that note, how do you tell the loan officer than you had been working with that you found someone who has better rates? I feel pretty bad about it, I've been working with him for about a month.

What a crazy savvy move by that dude.  I wonder how many times a day he says that?  If it's less than a dozen he is doing it wrong.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 18, 2014, 08:38:15 AM »
Well that was just mean SD.  GFA have you looked into coppell?

not really.  I've been several times for work and it seems nice.  I like grapevine itself quite a bit, and hurst/euless/bedford area which is where my fiancee is from and where her parents live, so she likes that.  I don't really have a commute for work because I'm virtual and am based from wherever I live, so I don't really care where personally.

you don't care where you are going to live for the next several years? good christ.  :flush:

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 18, 2014, 08:44:17 AM »

not really.  I've been several times for work and it seems nice.  I like grapevine itself quite a bit, and hurst/euless/bedford area which is where my fiancee is from and where her parents live, so she likes that.  I don't really have a commute for work because I'm virtual and am based from wherever I live, so I don't really care where personally.

No way I would ever move back to the mid-cities. Flower Mound or Coppell would be excellent places to live and a not a bad commute for Mrs GFA.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 18, 2014, 04:55:53 PM »

What a crazy savvy move by that dude.  I wonder how many times a day he says that?  If it's less than a dozen he is doing it wrong.

You obviously don't know how good Mrs. Stevesie and I's credit scores are. Sure, he may say it to a ton of people, but this is probably the only time he's meant it.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 18, 2014, 07:49:01 PM »

you don't care where you are going to live for the next several years? good christ.  :flush:

I mean I know the area of the city I like, all those little cities are right next to each other and pretty much the same.  I don't care about exact location because with my job I don't commute.  dick.
emaw

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 22, 2014, 12:18:04 AM »
Just closed today on a house (home!?) :surprised:

pics of your garden plz :impatient:

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 22, 2014, 12:19:44 AM »
Congrats!  :billdance:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 22, 2014, 08:38:51 AM »

After he said that you should have said "Well this other place has better rates than you too, so I'll be going over there."

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #309 on: April 22, 2014, 09:13:38 AM »
Put an offer in on a house today.  Very  :ohno:, but really  :crossfingers: at the same time.

We want it pretty bad.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 22, 2014, 09:24:08 AM »
Put an offer in on a house today.  Very  :ohno:, but really  :crossfingers: at the same time.

We want it pretty bad.

i hope you guys get it. good luck.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 22, 2014, 09:24:49 AM »
signing closing papers today

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #312 on: April 22, 2014, 11:24:56 AM »

We want it pretty bad.

He countered back with what we expected/hoped.  Realtor thinks we've got a deal.   :pray:

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 22, 2014, 11:31:57 AM »

We want it pretty bad.

He countered back with what we expected/hoped.  Realtor thinks we've got a deal.   :pray:

You can always make a little back on the inspection.  :Woot:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 22, 2014, 02:57:14 PM »

We want it pretty bad.

Oh yeah, how does this work? Are the current owners expected to pay for everything or can you negotiate it any way that you want?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 22, 2014, 03:03:20 PM »
you can negotiate it to a certain point, although if you nickel and dime a bunch of stupid little crap the owner can just go "nah, i'm good".  at that point as the buyer you've already paid for an inspection, earnest money and other crap like that so you're less likely to walk away unless major issues come up

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 22, 2014, 03:05:46 PM »
So I shouldn't feel like I got gypped if I pay for two of the issues and the buyer pays for two, and we end up paying about the same?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 22, 2014, 03:06:59 PM »

We want it pretty bad.

Oh yeah, how does this work? Are the current owners expected to pay for everything or can you negotiate it any way that you want?

The way I look at it is the opening negotiation is just getting to a price, a temporary agreement, to get it off the market temporarily.  As a buyer I like to think of that price as the price I'm paying for a perfect, move-in ready home.  They must negotiate in good faith, which means they shouldn't be hearing other offers, albeit I'm sure that happens.  Depending on how the contract is written you could have 30-60 days to inspect, negotiate, and close.  When you inspect and find stuff, you negotiate for either work to be done by competent contractors or ask for a discount off the price.  Worst case scenario is they say no to everything and you can still buy it at the previously agreed price. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 22, 2014, 03:09:02 PM »
So I shouldn't feel like I got gypped if I pay for two of the issues and the buyer pays for two, and we end up paying about the same?

The last home I bought there were a dozen or more little issues, stuff I could fix no problem.  I was happy with the price so I just asked him to fix a couple things and called it good.  He voluntarily fixed some of the other issues, too, out of pride I think. 

FYI, you get the earnest money back if a contract isn't executed. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 22, 2014, 03:09:22 PM »

We want it pretty bad.

I would just keep it honest with everything the inspector says and estimated costs.  If there is a big expense, like a new roof or something, I would consider getting a roofer's estimate on that cost.  My expectation is that they will fix or pay to fix anything major.  Minor wear and tear stuff ($100 or so) I would probably just take care of.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 22, 2014, 03:10:31 PM »

hey stevesie-

did you guys buy a house or something? exciting if so. where at?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 22, 2014, 03:14:02 PM »

hey stevesie-

did you guys buy a house or something? exciting if so. where at?

In the process. Closing date is in August since it's being rented out now and we're currently renting. It's a couple blocks down from the Northview pool. So guess who will be going down a bunch of bad ass slides all day every summer day for the foreseeable future? That's right, Stevesie60.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 22, 2014, 03:18:23 PM »

We want it pretty bad.

The way I look at it is the opening negotiation is just getting to a price, a temporary agreement, to get it off the market temporarily.  As a buyer I like to think of that price as the price I'm paying for a perfect, move-in ready home.  They must negotiate in good faith, which means they shouldn't be hearing other offers, albeit I'm sure that happens.  Depending on how the contract is written you could have 30-60 days to inspect, negotiate, and close.  When you inspect and find stuff, you negotiate for either work to be done by competent contractors or ask for a discount off the price.  Worst case scenario is they say no to everything and you can still buy it at the previously agreed price.

Should be noted that any negotiation on the inspection items that effects cost is legally a counter offer and could provide the other party a window to kill the sale without repercussion.  At least that is what our realtor told us last time around.  It isn't a big deal unless you are getting a huge deal and get the feeling the the seller has wised up.

In my experience, my realtor consulted me to take care of the stuff that was reasonable on my dime since we got so close to full asking price. 

Everyone's sitch is diff though.  Just get as much of a read on the sitch before you throw out outlandish demands.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 22, 2014, 03:20:11 PM »

We want it pretty bad.

Should be noted that any negotiation on the inspection items that effects cost is legally a counter offer and could provide the other party a window to kill the sale without repercussion.  At least that is what our realtor told us last time around.  It isn't a big deal unless you are getting a huge deal and get the feeling the the seller has wised up.

In my experience, my realtor consulted me to take care of the stuff that was reasonable on my dime since we got so close to full asking price. 

Everyone's sitch is diff though.  Just get as much of a read on the sitch before you throw out outlandish demands.

Probably in the terms of the contract, right?  The contract allows for renegotiation, and like I said you can always take the house as-is for the price/terms previously agreed upon.  Asking them to fix something or for a discount doesn't invalidate the contract.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 22, 2014, 03:20:41 PM »
just don't be a piece of crap and go into the inspection knowing you're about to try to nickel and dime the hell out of the seller.  no house is perfect.  on the flip side, i'd be a little cautious if we're talking issues major enough that you won't move in until they're resolved