Author Topic: Blue wave/red wave 2018 midterms prediction thread, now add your own!  (Read 24189 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Blue wave/red wave 2018 midterms prediction thread, now add your own!
« Reply #100 on: October 31, 2018, 01:12:00 PM »
This is the first I've heard of removing voting from polling places. Are you talking about the Oregon model of mail in ballots or just something you read on breitbart?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 31, 2018, 01:26:22 PM »
Early voting totals, it could have been worded better

When they put the "total" between asterisks, kinda looked like they were emphasizing that "total" meant "total." I'm legitimately wondering if whatever dumb dumb tweeted that actually thinks that's what's happened. Problem with getting news by tweet.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 31, 2018, 01:28:31 PM »
The problem was using a hashtagged word as part of the sentence, for some reason that's giving you a mental block

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 31, 2018, 01:29:14 PM »
This is the first I've heard of removing voting from polling places. Are you talking about the Oregon model of mail in ballots or just something you read on breitbart?

I'm talking absentee voting (by mail), which I believe is now permitted in every state. In most states you don't even have to provide a reason you can't make it to the polls.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 31, 2018, 01:31:04 PM »
Interesting definition of "removing voting from polling places", I'd more accurately describe it as alternatives to voting at a polling place

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2018, 01:31:47 PM »

I'm talking absentee voting (by mail), which I believe is now permitted in every state. In most states you don't even have to provide a reason you can't make it to the polls.

I have no idea why this would be a concern. Sometimes you are just going to be out of town or be too busy to vote on election day.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2018, 01:32:09 PM »
it took me like an hour to fill out my ballot and i used my computer frequently to research ballot measures and candidates.  filling it out in person at a polling place would have been a nightmare and i'd have voted dumber.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2018, 01:35:17 PM »
it took me like an hour to fill out my ballot and i used my computer frequently to research ballot measures and candidates.  filling it out in person at a polling place would have been a nightmare and i'd have voted dumber.

I did the same when I lived in Colorado.  I'm a big fan, particularly with lesser known ballot measures and candidates.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Blue wave/red wave 2018 midterms prediction thread, now add your own!
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2018, 01:38:28 PM »
At least in the great state of TX you can print out a sample ballot based on your jurisdiction and then research in the comfort of your own home. I just take that in with me and copy the answers. It’s never taken me longer than 20 minutes to actually vote and that includes waiting in line.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2018, 01:38:50 PM »
I like vote by mail. I’m simply pointing out that if you’re worried that husbands are filling out ballots for their wives, as Dems evidently are, then it’s kinda weird to favor a voting mechanism that enables that.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2018, 01:40:47 PM »

An hour?!  Goodness.  I usually don't even sit down.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2018, 01:41:45 PM »
I’m all over the place today, but one of the bigger surprises to me this election cycle is I kinda assumed the KC Star was gonna drop at least one more Propublica-written hit piece against Kobach in late October. Maybe this guy is cleaner than I thought.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2018, 01:44:43 PM »
Much like trump, Kobach is his own hit piece

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2018, 01:51:06 PM »
I voted at the local Board of Elections today. No line. Whole thing took five minutes.

Total no-brainer issues. Reduced state sentences for drug offenses and a liquor license for a local business. YES and YES!

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2018, 01:54:49 PM »
MO ballot is huge this cycle, the state is cautioning to allow 40-60 minutes just to fill it out, and with no early voting the lines are already guaranteed to be long. I'm guessing at least 2 hours for me Tuesday  :frown:

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 31, 2018, 01:58:25 PM »
I like vote by mail. I’m simply pointing out that if you’re worried that husbands are filling out ballots for their wives, as Dems evidently are, then it’s kinda weird to favor a voting mechanism that enables that.
I don't think there is a concern that husbands are literally filing out the ballot for their wives.  I think they mean that white married women tend to vote the way their husband wants or for his best interest, and not necessarily their own. 

I haven't dove into it enough to see how they discern this, but I don't think anyone is saying there needs to be a systemic solution to this.  The solution would be in using this information to campaign more effectively.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 31, 2018, 02:09:40 PM »
I don't think there is a concern that husbands are literally filing out the ballot for their wives.  I think they mean that white married women tend to vote the way their husband wants or for his best interest, and not necessarily their own. 

I haven't dove into it enough to see how they discern this, but I don't think anyone is saying there needs to be a systemic solution to this.  The solution would be in using this information to campaign more effectively.

Well if that's the case, then I am shocked - shocked - that one spouse might follow the other spouse's lead, particularly if one spouse thinks it's to the economic advantage of the primary bread-winning spouse. :surprised: And seriously, I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination that one spouse fills out the ballot (hopefully at least with consent) for the other - this probably happens quite often.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 31, 2018, 02:13:07 PM »
KSUW apparently has many things he'd like to get off his chest. Goodness.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 31, 2018, 02:14:03 PM »
Is that what happens at your house?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 31, 2018, 02:14:45 PM »

Well if that's the case, then I am shocked - shocked - that one spouse might follow the other spouse's lead, particularly if one spouse thinks it's to the economic advantage of the primary bread-winning spouse. :surprised: And seriously, I don't think it's a stretch of the imagination that one spouse fills out the ballot (hopefully at least with consent) for the other - this probably happens quite often.

lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 31, 2018, 02:20:50 PM »
Early voting totals, it could have been worded better

speaking of which:

https://twitter.com/mcpli/status/1057698731666165761

worth pointing out that texas 2018 turnout is weird (big) compared to most states and also that 2014 turnout is weird (small) compared to most midterms.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 31, 2018, 02:22:54 PM »
on the same theme, this is a good thread where nate cohn talks about how so far the early voting appears to be in line with their turnout models for states.

https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1057692219669446656

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 31, 2018, 02:24:53 PM »

my wife asked me how she should vote today

(odd coincidence)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 31, 2018, 02:26:27 PM »
Is that what happens at your house?

My wife asked me to but I refused out of principle. Pretty sure she did sneak a peek at mine when she filled hers out. (My wife also thinks the suffrage movement was probably a mistake overall :love:)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 31, 2018, 02:29:40 PM »
(My wife also thinks the suffrage movement was probably a mistake overall :love:)

:sdeek: