Author Topic: Responsible gun owner protects personal property  (Read 118022 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Responsible gun owner protects personal property
« Reply #1550 on: February 19, 2024, 08:08:21 PM »
A little late, but....
Like it or not, Guns are politicized, Don't politicize a tragedy is always the comment after a shooting but that is to try to change the subject that we are really the only country where this happens in the civilized world...but hey look at the GOP, they've practically sexualized guns, send them out on Christmas cards, and wear AR-15 Lapel pins.

Yeah, too many of us are terrible for anything to ever be done. At this point, every time a gun but I know offers thoughts and prayers or mentions mental health after a shooting, I just tell them that I don't give a crap about those dead kids either, and talk about something else. It's way less exhausting and no less productive.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: February 26, 2024, 01:53:16 PM »
A little late, but....
Like it or not, Guns are politicized, Don't politicize a tragedy is always the comment after a shooting but that is to try to change the subject that we are really the only country where this happens in the civilized world...but hey look at the GOP, they've practically sexualized guns, send them out on Christmas cards, and wear AR-15 Lapel pins.

Just finished listening to a podcast from Jason Kander. It's time to reframe this conversation. What I found both intriguing and hopeful from this podcast was about the history of the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act, PLCAA, and how repealing PLCAA could turn the corner on gun control in this country. That being said, I harbor no faith that the Dems would get this done if they took Congress and maintained the white house, after all, they had the chance to repeal this under Obama, as they also had the chance to codify Roe. Anyway, I found this very interesting. Everything before 27:00 is background on Kander, 27:00 and after is talk about PLCAA and how the gun companies could be forced to reform.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G111As34QPg&t=1625s

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: March 07, 2024, 08:54:45 AM »
They went into a "soft lockdown" at my kids' school yesterday because someone had a medical situation in a bathroom so they wanted everyone out of the hallways while paramedics attended to the sick student. This just retraumatizes kids over and over (they just assumed someone was coming into the school to slaughter them). My kid's history teacher explained to the class how she has filing cabinets positioned so that they can rapidly barricade the door and towels ready to protect the students' hands if they leave the building thru broken windows. I have another kid whose kindergarten class was taught to arm themselves with scissors or hide on top of a toilet in the bathroom during an "intruder drill". Grownups (the legislators who refuse to do anything meaningful to stop gun violence) are failing our kids so badly. It is incredibly messed up. 

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: March 07, 2024, 09:12:18 AM »
They went into a "soft lockdown" at my kids' school yesterday because someone had a medical situation in a bathroom so they wanted everyone out of the hallways while paramedics attended to the sick student. This just retraumatizes kids over and over (they just assumed someone was coming into the school to slaughter them). My kid's history teacher explained to the class how she has filing cabinets positioned so that they can rapidly barricade the door and towels ready to protect the students' hands if they leave the building thru broken windows. I have another kid whose kindergarten class was taught to arm themselves with scissors or hide on top of a toilet in the bathroom during an "intruder drill". Grownups (the legislators who refuse to do anything meaningful to stop gun violence) are failing our kids so badly. It is incredibly messed up.
It is so unbelievably frustrating that roughly half our government refuses to take even the slightest steps toward what every other country in the world has figured out. Don’t put me on a watch list, because I’m not advocating violence, but I think the only way they change is if the problem comes to them. Otherwise they’ll gladly keep accepting the bribes…I mean campaign contributions.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: March 07, 2024, 10:28:00 AM »
It is so unbelievably frustrating that roughly half our government refuses to take even the slightest steps toward what every other country in the world has figured out. Don’t put me on a watch list, because I’m not advocating violence, but I think the only way they change is if the problem comes to them. Otherwise they’ll gladly keep accepting the bribes…I mean campaign contributions.
At some point, we need to acknowledge that the second amendment wasn't intended as a suicide pact but for now, most people seem just fine with having the highest rates of gun deaths in the developed world. There has been horrific gun violence in red states like TX (Uvalde), TN (Covenant school) and KS (Hesston) but it hasn't moved the needle a bit.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: March 07, 2024, 10:32:32 AM »
Yeah, no conservatives give a eff.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: March 07, 2024, 10:51:47 AM »
Should let the trial lawyers go at manufacturers but that ain't happening

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: March 07, 2024, 11:01:54 AM »

In what school are they teaching kids to arm themselves with scissors?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: March 07, 2024, 11:54:50 AM »

In what school are they teaching kids to arm themselves with scissors?
At my kids' school about 5 years ago. Administration got feedback from parents that this was traumatizing to kids so they stopped that aspect of "intruder drills" but the drills go on in other forms. As recently as last year, my kid was told that she should hide behind the door of the bathroom stall if there is an "intruder situation." She instinctively knows how pointless it would be to try and protect herself from a psychopath with a rifle using a bathroom stall door.

Online Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: March 07, 2024, 11:57:23 AM »
Active shooter drills are routine. 

I have had 3 kids go through the same school and they know me very well but I still have to show an id before they will buzz me in.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: March 21, 2024, 08:56:13 AM »
A student at Honey Creek Middle School is the only thing that can stop a Good Guy With A Gun:

https://twitter.com/K12ssdb/status/1770810534494957851?s=20

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: March 21, 2024, 10:09:35 AM »
Left his poop knife at home. Now has a poop gun.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: March 25, 2024, 12:37:53 PM »
is there a good guy with a gun in this scenario?

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: March 25, 2024, 12:38:11 PM »
It feels like this would be a case for criminal negligence  :dunno:

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #1566 on: March 25, 2024, 12:59:06 PM »
Agreed. My pistol is always in a holster unless I'm cleaning or shooting. These dumbfucks need to feel real consequences.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: March 25, 2024, 01:14:39 PM »
I would be shocked if the mom faces any charges but heavy penalties for negligent homicide in cases like this should be part of common sense gun reform.

We have had two youths in our community die from suicides that were completed with their guardians' unsecured firearms in the last year and zero charges have resulted.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: March 25, 2024, 02:02:21 PM »
Are you suggesting that we INFRINGE the right of this American patriot to have a handgun locked and loaded to respond to any threat (real or perceived) at a moment’s notice? Which is a real scenario that actually plays out other than in MAGA’s wet dreams?