Author Topic: OU 2000 MHK memories  (Read 5958 times)

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
Re: OU 2000 MHK memories
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 09:32:38 PM »
I honestly think I completely blocked it out of my memory. I don't remember anything about it.

Offline PurpleSleezyE

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2011, 09:58:44 PM »
Greatest atmosphere ever!  I also wanted to kill the OU cheerleaders when laid the OU flag over the powercat.  Never in my life did I feel anger like that. 

Offline Legit Elite

• Resident Vanier Barber
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2011, 10:01:15 PM »
I remember walking through the trees from the old shitty Jardine and hear the crowd in the line for gameday.  The gates were about to be open and some guy was up on top of the porta pisser being all elite doing the K-S-U.  Gameday was kinda meh because we couldn't hear anything.

After gameday, went immediately into GA line.  Was prob 1st fifty in the gate when it opened.  In those days, not sure if it still is, impossible for frosh to get icat as it was always sold out by the time we could enroll.  Oh, and the student section was always full.  

I remember being all hyped about our 25 game home winning streak and #2 ranking, but the sooners were a team of destiny that year.  1998, 2000, and 2003 were the years that I really felt like we could win the national title before the season started.  Was not worried about OU going into 2000...everyone had UNL circled on the calendar.

Left the game pretty much speechless...empty feeling.  First time I saw us lose in the Bill.
Free edge up to defensive starters when opponents held under 10.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2011, 10:08:33 PM »
I was so much fun.  Everything but the final score at least, and 3 & 26 was pretty bad too.  Quincy TD/B2B Sacks/Newman TD was the best sequence of plays ever.  I remember being pissed that we lost but confident we would beat them in the rematch at Arrowhead (getting there was a foregone conclusion to me). 

The ATM loss was much worse for me, I just couldn't believe that we lost to those guys.  A real black-eye on the season.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline purplenutz

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2011, 10:49:52 PM »
I remember a slew of bonehead plays.  Lockett had the dropsies in the endzone, Cooper's stupid Personal foul penalties, inability to tackle anybody, JT Thatcher's return for TD.  Our team's overconfidence played into the loss on that day, everybody thought we were going to win that game.  With that said, the biggest crap ever that day was some company had printed these "Oklahoma Wins 41-31" posters.  They were trying to sell them as fans were leaving the stadium.  disappointing day. bad memory.  Seeking revenge as a fan this saturday.  Would absolutely love to beat the sooners at BSFS.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 10:54:54 PM »
That Beasley QB sneak was BS. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 10:58:10 PM »
I broke up with my girlfriend over the rematch

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2011, 11:16:25 PM »
Barry Switzer hanging on like a chad on the sideline 

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2011, 11:17:37 PM »
Remember this little jerkface 10yr old kid saying we're gonna lose to OU a couple days before the game and I was all pfffffff  WRONG-O.  Then I thought to myself whatev, it's a new rough ridin' millenium, and the last millenium was like OU's and NU's and other famous schools, but this one is our millenium, it's OUR millenium down here.   

The moons and stars were aligned, you know?  Guess not.   :rolleyes:

BUT MAN, IT SURE WAS LOUD, RIGHT GUYS.
Wasn't sure if the loudness of the punt block had been mentioned for the billionth time.  Wasn't there, saw it on tv.  Super Glad you all heard the really loud stuff that day.  We still lost that stupid idiot game and a shot at dominating everything for an entire millenium, JFC.  By all means tho, go be loud, WHOOOOOOH.   

:cry: 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2011, 11:25:11 PM »
Remember this little jerkface 10yr old kid saying we're gonna lose to OU a couple days before the game and I was all pfffffff  WRONG-O.  Then I thought to myself whatev, it's a new rough ridin' millenium, and the last millenium was like OU's and NU's and other famous schools, but this one is our millenium, it's OUR millenium down here.   

The moons and stars were aligned, you know?  Guess not.   :rolleyes:

BUT MAN, IT SURE WAS LOUD, RIGHT GUYS.
Wasn't sure if the loudness of the punt block had been mentioned for the billionth time.  Wasn't there, saw it on tv.  Super Glad you all heard the really loud stuff that day.  We still lost that stupid idiot game and a shot at dominating everything for an entire millenium, JFC.  By all means tho, go be loud, WHOOOOOOH.   

:cry: 

Big league bbs'ing.

Especially liked the Goonies refery.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Cricketer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2011, 10:20:22 AM »
Was pretty confident heading in.  Finishing up my time at KSU (graduated a year later).  Bought a bedsheet at Walmart the Sunday before and painted it up with a message: "BRING ON THE TRAITORS - SCREW OU!" All purple letters except for OU (carefully titrated correct crimson and OU was an exact representation of their logo.  Message was pretty mean, but we were still hurting from '98.  Banner was then hung from our porch on Anderson.  Received lots of compliments and was featured by a visiting OKC TV station on their back home newscast.  Said banner was stolen from porch by drunken Sooners on Friday night (they probably needed it for warmth since their trailer wheels were flat and they were all sleeping in a truck bed  :ck: 

Went out to Aggieville on Friday and got into some good natured trash talk with Sooners.  Ended up climbing onto a table at Porter's and leading a packed bar in the K-S-Uuuuuu chant.  Got several in before the bouncers were able to wade through the crowd and remove me.  Hopped down off the table and exchanged in some high fives and a couple free drinks from admiring fans. 

Next day attended Gameday and generally spent a lot of time yelling "Don't believe the Heup-el!" (get it...like a play on words of hype) at random Sooners because who could believe that a skinny QB with a gimmick offense could take down the Cats.  I mean, sure, they worked the Horns the week before...but that was Texas...not a good team. 

Timeline of my emotions during game:  :excited:   :eek:   :ohno:   :shakesfist:   :curse:   :ksu:   :comehere:   :crossfingers:   :pray:   :cry:   :runaway:  End of an era.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2011, 10:23:40 AM »
lots of grumblings that lockett was on the take in that one.  LOTS. 

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2011, 10:29:48 AM »

Father like son? :ohno:
RIP Fatty

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2011, 10:30:53 AM »

Not Kevin.  :facepalm:

Offline Cricketer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2011, 10:31:53 AM »
lots of grumblings that lockett was on the take in that one.  LOTS.  

What was the spread?  I've mostly forgotten specific plays from that game...did he crap it up?  Honestly can't remember much other than the punt block and Quincy buckling JT Thatcher's knee.

Offline TellurideCatbacker

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2011, 10:35:08 AM »
Did not attend any football games in 2000, as a senior in architecture I was locked up in Studio.... :facepalm:

Offline "storm"nut

• SOCK (outed by The Laundromat)
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2011, 10:36:12 AM »

Not Kevin.  :facepalm:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :bang: Uncle like nephew then :goodbyecruelworld:
RIP Fatty

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2011, 10:41:18 AM »
wasn't that the game where a ruffneck put some ksu kid in a headlock?

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2011, 10:48:09 AM »

He walked through SB before the game. He looked like an alive dead guy in person.

Why did you bring this up Fatty?  I was having a good day  :curse:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2011, 10:48:59 AM »

He walked through SB before the game. He looked like an alive dead guy in person.

Why did you bring this up Fatty?  I was having a good day  :curse:

"y'all had a nice run"

Offline Bookcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2011, 10:53:33 AM »
this is also the game where we magically forgot how to do two things

1. catch a pass on 3rd down

2. forgot how to tackle...most notably Jarrod Cooper

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 26, 2011, 11:25:39 AM »
The thing I actually remember the most about that game was the week before, sitting in Memorial Stadium during the annual beatdown of ku and hearing the Texas/OU score, and thinking, "Hoooooboy, Texas REALLY sucks this year! Looks like we got the Big 12 champy wrapped up!"

Watching Heupel get knocked down time after time in those 2 games that year and still complete those crap-ass passes was just maddening.

I remember the Arrowhead game much better. So cold. So sucky.

Whatever you do, don't talk to any OU grad who was in college during that year. It's all, "oh, that year was so awesome and magical, we didn't even know who K-State was and we were like, 'what? that game's not supposed to be that close,'" as if the 5 straight losses to K-State and sucky decade of OU football didn't even happen. "Why does K-State hate us?"   :dubious:

:frown:

The only thing that gives me any kind of solace for the 1998/2000 OU coaching heist championship is that there seems to be a minor curse on everyone involved. "Big Game Bob" has gotten repeatedly humiliated in big games after that year. Mike Stoops and Mangino have both been fired as head coaches. Venzy can't get hired as a head coach and now has people saying Mikey should be hired back to replace him.  Screw all those guys. They can eat a big old bag of Bob Stoops. 

Offline Three-putt

• HIQ Lurker
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2011, 11:40:54 AM »
Criketer.  You're sign was fantastic!!