Author Topic: Fire Chris Klieman  (Read 110042 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Chris Klieman
« Reply #825 on: October 21, 2021, 01:16:30 PM »
The back to back posts of WC08 saying he used to get too worked up about this stuff in his 20s and now he's a happy sensible fan and then getting way too worked up about the DII vs FCS thing was very enjoyable.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: October 21, 2021, 01:18:10 PM »
Klieman has to lose at least 2 more games this season for me to get worked up about him at all. He's great until that happens. Then, he's toast.

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: October 21, 2021, 01:19:09 PM »
The back to back posts of WC08 saying he used to get too worked up about this stuff in his 20s and now he's a happy sensible fan and then getting way too worked up about the DII vs FCS thing was very enjoyable.

I respect the passion.  Just wish he was on team #firekliegoober.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: October 21, 2021, 01:23:28 PM »
:curse: :lol:

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: October 21, 2021, 01:50:26 PM »

I respect the passion.  Just wish he was on team #firekliegoober.

I don't think he should be fired yet at all, I just can't believe we gave him a buyout that is higher than Mario Cristobol's and "lots" of other coaches. That is just bonkers. He coached at a D1 however many A's school forever and then took at job in KS to work for his buddy. Where the hell did they think he was going to run off to?

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: October 21, 2021, 02:16:47 PM »
I think it's dumb to compare them because I know first hand how much of a crap show Prince was and I still have some faith in CK, but it's pretty incredible how similarly their K-State tenures have trended so far.

Prince: Started 10-7 w/ 2 wins over UT, went 6-13 after (3-11 in conference), 0-1 in bowl games
Kli: Started 10-6 w/ 2 wins over OU, has gone 6-8 since (2-8 in conference), 0-1 in bowl games

Imagine if we would've given Prince an extension and $15mill buyout after that second UT win.......

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: October 21, 2021, 02:18:45 PM »
I think it's dumb to compare them because I know first hand how much of a crap show Prince was and I still have some faith in CK, but it's pretty incredible how similarly their K-State tenures have trended so far.

Prince: Started 10-7 w/ 2 wins over UT, went 6-13 after (3-11 in conference), 0-1 in bowl games
Kli: Started 10-6 w/ 2 wins over OU, has gone 6-8 since (2-8 in conference), 0-1 in bowl games

Imagine if we would've given Prince an extension and $15mill buyout after that second UT win.......

One had an NFL QB, the other...

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: October 21, 2021, 02:20:50 PM »
The rumblings were they were a bit taken back when they got here and started working players out how much less talent they were working with than at NDSU.   He got a dog crap roster and wasn’t talented enough of a recruiter to get it back to stocked very quick.
I believe that. They were great recruiters at NDSU. It should have translated better here.

Agreed to a point, I think branding and the tradition helps a lot. I'd imagine at FCS level you're essentially writing off the top of the top guys since they go D1 so you're got to be good at finding guys who are going to be good but are going to be passed over, which it appears (and many of remarked) he's been good at identifying talent early.

I think the bigger miss so far is he's from a school that basically was/is the Alabama of the FCS, and while I'm sure Saban works hard to recruit, once you got that type of system set up it's not like you gotta try too hard "wanna win a championship" is a pretty damn easy sell to big time recruits, and it's not like Saban was told "no" a lot. I think he's probably really a bit having to get that built up being thrown into the middle of the pack, not slotted in at the top.

Hopefully he is able to start getting more yesses rather than noes and eventually it straightens itself out.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: October 21, 2021, 02:21:41 PM »

6-8 isn't very similar to 6-13.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: October 21, 2021, 02:29:12 PM »

Here's the numbers at their same points in time, respectively:

https://twitter.com/TrimGoEMAW/status/1449565518915010564

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: October 21, 2021, 02:30:31 PM »

Well, they both do have a 6 in them so they are like 50% the same.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: October 21, 2021, 02:30:39 PM »

The rumblings were they were a bit taken back when they got here and started working players out how much less talent they were working with than at NDSU.   He got a dog crap roster and wasn’t talented enough of a recruiter to get it back to stocked very quick.
I believe that. They were great recruiters at NDSU. It should have translated better here.

Agreed to a point, I think branding and the tradition helps a lot. I'd imagine at FCS level you're essentially writing off the top of the top guys since they go D1 so you're got to be good at finding guys who are going to be good but are going to be passed over, which it appears (and many of remarked) he's been good at identifying talent early.

I think the bigger miss so far is he's from a school that basically was/is the Alabama of the FCS, and while I'm sure Saban works hard to recruit, once you got that type of system set up it's not like you gotta try too hard "wanna win a championship" is a pretty damn easy sell to big time recruits, and it's not like Saban was told "no" a lot. I think he's probably really a bit having to get that built up being thrown into the middle of the pack, not slotted in at the top.

He wasn't competing for top tier recruits, he was competing against lower-level FBS schools for recruits. And it's not like there's a magic dividing line between FCS and FBS and he just got all the best FCS recruits and none of the FBS ones. Evaluation and closing is also super important at that level because your best receipts can easily get snatched up by FBS.

I think the championship thing is a decent point but they still had to be great evaluators and closers to sustain what they did at NDSU and there's no reason that shouldn't have translated. (And I think it has to an extent with quite a few guys)

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: October 21, 2021, 02:39:45 PM »

Here's the numbers at their same points in time, respectively:

https://twitter.com/TrimGoEMAW/status/1449565518915010564

The difference is KU, that's it. A very competitive KU changes these numbers for Ron and ended his time at K-State. A hilariously/historically bad KU will keep Kli around.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: October 21, 2021, 02:42:42 PM »
He also never beat MU and NU and went 0-9 vs his rivals. That will do it. And again, nobody was calling Prince after his first year.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: October 21, 2021, 02:49:34 PM »
I mean, if Klieman loses his next 5 games, I don't think he will be the coach next season, and I really doubt anyone will think better of him than they do Prince.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: October 21, 2021, 02:56:24 PM »
I mean, if Klieman loses his next 5 games, I don't think he will be the coach next season, and I really doubt anyone will think better of him than they do Prince.

Gene wouldn't fire oscar w/ a $2mill buyout after the worst (close to it?) 2 year stretch in the history of our program.

Klieman isn't getting fired... probably ever by Gene (Gene would be fired before CK)

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: October 21, 2021, 03:05:08 PM »
Our fans and donors care more about football than basketball, and Klieman's best season to date was the equivalent of making the NIT in basketball. He won't survive 1-5 vs Tech, KU, WVU, Baylor, TCU, and Texas. We haven't have a football team bad enough to do that since the 80s.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: October 21, 2021, 03:12:42 PM »
He also never beat MU and NU and went 0-9 vs his rivals. That will do it. And again, nobody was calling Prince after his first year.

You have said this a few times and I'm genuinely asking. Who was calling for CK? Was there any real indication that he would even consider leaving? I can maybe see someone "calling" after his first year, because ADs always make "calls", but was there any real indication that he would ever take said "call"?

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: October 21, 2021, 03:12:52 PM »
Our fans and donors care more about football than basketball, and Klieman's best season to date was the equivalent of making the NIT in basketball. He won't survive 1-5 vs Tech, KU, WVU, Baylor, TCU, and Texas. We haven't have a football team bad enough to do that since the 80s.

You think one of our donors is going to pay 20 million to fire Klieman and his assistants and let Gene pick another replacement?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: October 21, 2021, 03:17:08 PM »

You think one of our donors is going to pay 20 million to fire Klieman and his assistants and let Gene pick another replacement?

I think we would find a way. The best case for Klieman would be Gene getting fired after that season and then he coaches a lame duck season next year.

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: October 21, 2021, 03:19:51 PM »

I think we would find a way. The best case for Klieman would be Gene getting fired after that season and then he coaches a lame duck season next year.
Better hope they also donate money for good assistant salaries or we’ll continue down the MVC assistants.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: October 21, 2021, 03:21:47 PM »

You have said this a few times and I'm genuinely asking. Who was calling for CK? Was there any real indication that he would even consider leaving? I can maybe see someone "calling" after his first year, because ADs always make "calls", but was there any real indication that he would ever take said "call"?
Michigan St. for sure. Rumors from big donors said Iowa was unsure what Ferentz wanted to do for a period, so they called to play grab ass with Kli's agent as well. Since Michigan St. got mushed by Kli, they stole our DC instead with their new hire.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: October 21, 2021, 03:29:50 PM »
I've said it before but I'll say it again: If Prince wasn't a maniac losing every game by 3+scores with a disastrous insane juco class and assistants leaving left and right, he probably would have stayed based on his record alone. 7-6, 5-7, 5-7, wasn't that bad based on Bill's two seasons prior.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: October 21, 2021, 03:33:04 PM »

The curiosity would be if he loses his next 3.

From this point, here's RP's schedule:

L @ colorado
L vs oklahoma
L @ kansas
L @ missouri
L vs nebraska
W vs iowa state.

But if it was after that 3rd L that KSU informed him he was done at year-end. 

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: October 21, 2021, 03:37:36 PM »
I've said it before but I'll say it again: If Prince wasn't a maniac losing every game by 3+scores with a disastrous insane juco class and assistants leaving left and right, he probably would have stayed based on his record alone. 7-6, 5-7, 5-7, wasn't that bad based on Bill's two seasons prior.

If you swap a KU win with someone else and his record remained the same each season, but he was 3-0 against KU, all the insanity would have been pushed aside and he probably would've been here a few more years.