Author Topic: West World thread  (Read 37071 times)

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: West World thread
« Reply #225 on: November 10, 2016, 03:25:07 PM »
I think maybe ksuw is just not able to process nudity in art as a mature adult.
I can't get FreundinSonntag to give this show a shot because she gets uncomfortable around nudity  :bawl:

you should get a divorce. now.
I know, its weird.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 10, 2016, 03:25:53 PM »

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 10, 2016, 03:29:13 PM »
I can't get FreundinSonntag to give this show a shot because she gets uncomfortable around nudity  :bawl:

Does she wear jean shorts in the shower?

:lol:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 10, 2016, 03:29:42 PM »

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 10, 2016, 03:41:50 PM »

I know, its weird.

seriously, tell her that some guy on the internet that you've never met thinks she needs to get over it.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 10, 2016, 04:50:48 PM »

I know, its weird.

seriously, tell her that some guy on the internet that you've never met thinks she needs to get over it.

Also, tell her some woman on the internet that you never met thinks the same thing.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 12, 2016, 01:38:40 PM »
I don't have a problem the nudity in general. It dehumanizes the robots so it has a point. The orgy was stupid and out of place. This lady explains it better. https://www.google.com/amp/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2016/11/4/13514468/westworld-theories-answers-hbo

Tasha: I’m so used to HBO’s tits-n-butts-n-blood-n-guts aesthetic that nothing in Westworld really registered as meaningfully excessive until the orgy scene, and that only hit home because it was so utterly pointless, so willfully, obviously gratuitous. We knew it was coming because of all the 2015 news about a ridiculous casting call that demanded extras who were willing to submit to “genital-to-genital touching” and a long list of silly, not-sexy behaviors. And the reality looks about as hilariously artificial as that casting call sounded. The entire sequence is so performative, so unsexual, and so strained that it took me out of the story as much as the violence has been taking you out. It doesn’t fit in the setting — a gritty Old West edge-of-frontier outlaw town where virtually everyone just happens to be young, beautiful, clean, and dressed up like they’re at a Victorian costume ball? It’s also flat and completely lacking in the energy of lust, daring, fun, or even glee at breaking taboos. That sequence made sex look boring, more about posing and prancing than intimacy, passion, or even animal satisfaction.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 12, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »
I wonder if KSUW finds Sodom and Gomorrah out of place in the Bible.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 12, 2016, 02:19:34 PM »
Also I'm surprised that no one is unpacking Ford's drink with MiB.  They seem to have history and I'm wondering if MiB could be an Arthur bot/power host.  It would pick up on his search for consciousness and picking up the quest for making bots something more.  Do we know what accident actually "killed" Arthur?  Maybe he Tron/Jeff Bridges-ed himself into a bot too.

Additionally is anyone else really surprised that the lower floors look abandoned?  Like not moved out, we got new digs up stairs, more we need to GTFO right now. 

Finally anyone watching the season preview clips at the end of the show?  Showed some real violence coming up, security forces clearing what appears to be the lower floors.
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 12, 2016, 02:24:58 PM »
I don't have a problem the nudity in general. It dehumanizes the robots so it has a point. The orgy was stupid and out of place. This lady explains it better. https://www.google.com/amp/www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2016/11/4/13514468/westworld-theories-answers-hbo

Tasha: I’m so used to HBO’s tits-n-butts-n-blood-n-guts aesthetic that nothing in Westworld really registered as meaningfully excessive until the orgy scene, and that only hit home because it was so utterly pointless, so willfully, obviously gratuitous. We knew it was coming because of all the 2015 news about a ridiculous casting call that demanded extras who were willing to submit to “genital-to-genital touching” and a long list of silly, not-sexy behaviors. And the reality looks about as hilariously artificial as that casting call sounded. The entire sequence is so performative, so unsexual, and so strained that it took me out of the story as much as the violence has been taking you out. It doesn’t fit in the setting — a gritty Old West edge-of-frontier outlaw town where virtually everyone just happens to be young, beautiful, clean, and dressed up like they’re at a Victorian costume ball? It’s also flat and completely lacking in the energy of lust, daring, fun, or even glee at breaking taboos. That sequence made sex look boring, more about posing and prancing than intimacy, passion, or even animal satisfaction.

So this lady thinks the robots acted robotic?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 12, 2016, 05:01:50 PM »

I will say when they walked into the hall of fun it did look too clean and dressy.  Walking into the town seeing sex going on in the alley ways and carriages seemed to be *more appropriate* for the town.  But I had no issue with too much nudity in that hall as a theme for it being a Gomorrah type place.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 12, 2016, 05:14:25 PM »

I will say when they walked into the hall of fun it did look too clean and dressy.  Walking into the town seeing sex going on in the alley ways and carriages seemed to be *more appropriate* for the town.  But I had no issue with too much nudity in that hall as a theme for it being a Gomorrah type place.

I agree. I expected debauchery. But the hall and costume ball and other stuff did not fit.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
West World thread
« Reply #237 on: November 12, 2016, 05:28:55 PM »
In the movie, there is a Roman world.  It's as if they were trying to work in the Caligula stuff into the old West.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 12, 2016, 08:58:03 PM »
All right I'm going to rewatch to see if I can better understand what's going on.

Epi 1 observations....
1. The young outlaw robot who goes haywire is talking to Arnold.
2. Bernard whispers something to the dad before putting him in storage. Hmmm...
3. Why is Bernard having these discussions with Delores? Testing her, or something else?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 12, 2016, 10:04:49 PM »
Epi 2...
1. Bernard is telling Delores to remember stuff. So appears he is planting the memories.
2. The angry QA lady says corporate is ready to "launch" - Bernard knows about it too. I'm guessing Bernard has told Ford, Ford doesn't like it, and they're brewing some sort of sabotage.
3. Bernard gives Dolores a gun. Real gun?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: November 12, 2016, 11:55:10 PM »
Epi 3....
1. Boy they're sure hinting that Bernard is a robot. Sounds like he's modeled after Arnold based on the tragedy backstory. Also, Ford often pauses before he says "Bernard" like he wants to say another name.
2. So this new Wyatt story is "based in truth." Wyatt thought he heard the voice of God. So Wyatt was either a host set on a killing spree by Arnold or he was Arnold?
3. Delores lied to Bernard about staying on loop. So now she can lie and shoot.

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 13, 2016, 12:17:15 AM »
The nudity absolutely exists in the storyline to dehumanize the robots.  It happens to fall within a pattern of HBO cinematography but it still serves to further the plot.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 13, 2016, 08:43:18 PM »
Epi 4....
1. I've heard a theory that the William and MIB are the same person in two different narratives set 30 years apart. Doesn't make sense for lots of reasons, but I think this episode puts that to rest? The security dude is definitely in the MIB's storyline, and in this episode he is also in William's storyline (he comments on Delores being way off track, as she is wit William). So unless security dude is a robot who never ages, and that doesn't make much sense, this theory is debunked.
2. I don't get Delores interaction with little girl.
3. So didn't Ford just recently create the Wyatt storyline? It seems that the MIB is just playing the latest story of Ford's - not hacking deeper into the maze.
4. Board already has a rep that QA lady didn't know about. Ok?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 13, 2016, 09:03:26 PM »
Bernard!

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 13, 2016, 09:40:06 PM »
Epi 5....
1. What's deal with mini-Ford randomly running into MIB?
2. So this is one of those things that just doesn't make sense - in a future where robots are so lifelike, wouldn't it be way cheaper and easier to do all this with VR instead? First mention of VR in this episode.
3. Eh I need to stop binge watching these. Losing interest in the intentional obfuscation.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 13, 2016, 10:19:42 PM »
So unless security dude is a robot who never ages, and that doesn't make much sense, this theory is debunked.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #246 on: November 13, 2016, 10:27:53 PM »
This show is boring and weird. And also boring.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 13, 2016, 11:56:37 PM »
Bernard!
couple of ya'll called it. 

Great episode.  Seems like Maeve is going to be the bot that does the blood letting instead of Yul/Gunslinger. 

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 14, 2016, 12:09:03 AM »
Also I'd love to hear people's thoughts on Dolores and William's plan.  Are they going to stumble into the maze?  I also assume the voice Dolores has been hearing isn't the sat uplinks and is related to her quest, which makes me think she is being drawn to the maze.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 14, 2016, 12:20:37 AM »
Maybe the replacement for Theresa is being made right now!