Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 109759 times)

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »
crap is starting to break in my house after 5 years of living there, kind of irritates me but not enough to pay someone to get it fixed, or attempt to do it myself. I'll probably wait until the problem gets worst and then pay out the ass to fix it.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2011, 11:25:04 AM »
on Extreme Makeover Home Edition the people from the show aren't even at the location and have nothing to do with the design or actually building it.  They show up at the beginning and the last day to film some crap.  Local contractors just plow through the remodel and get no camera time.

what a terrible show.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2011, 11:38:49 AM »
on Extreme Makeover Home Edition the people from the show aren't even at the location and have nothing to do with the design or actually building it.  They show up at the beginning and the last day to film some crap.  Local contractors just plow through the remodel and get no camera time.

what a terrible show.

Also, bad things happen when you do certain things that fast.  those houses have to look like crap very soon after.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2011, 11:49:29 AM »
Built over 2 years ago. Have only had to change a couple of light bulbs.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2011, 12:01:08 PM »
that story about house hunters is pure fiction.  they have NOT already purchased a home.

As for "Property Virgins", they probably freak over $2K because the pushy-ass host has already pressured them to buy at the very top of their budget. 

LMAO...that host is one of the most irritating hosts on TV. For whatever reason, she makes me really uncomfortable watching her. She bugs!

Agreed!  She's absolutely horrible.  I stopped watching the show because she was so annoying!

I can't stand the host of "Property Virgins." When she asks her clients how much they've been approved for, they'll say something like "The bank approved us for $300K, but we only feel comfortable spending $200K." Perfectly reasonable, right? Every MM lady knows that you can't rely on the bank to tell you what you can afford.

But the host's response is always a smug "I see. So you're not willing to make any financial sacrifices to own the home of your dreams." What, like eating ramen for 30 years to live in a $300K home?

basically blaming the financial meltdown on rinomato in this post-

I hate that, too!  She acts as though it's ABSURD that people wouldn't want to go completely out of their financial comfort zone. 

And people wonder why so many people got so overextended on their mortgages.  Granted, it's a show - but I know she's not the only real estate agent to have that attitude.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2011, 12:01:29 PM »
gj rinomato, huge fanbase you have out there.  :lol:

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2011, 12:05:24 PM »
more advice:  1. don't bother taking mrs. tortuga anywhere that doesn't have granite kitchen countertops.  2. look for good bones.  3. when they show you the master bedroom closet, jokingly ask where you can store your clothes now that you've seen where mrs. tortuga's clothes will go.

Offline wes mantooth

• freak and stud
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #LIFE is good
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2011, 12:11:00 PM »
more advice:  1. don't bother taking mrs. tortuga anywhere that doesn't have granite kitchen countertops.  2. look for good bones.  3. when they show you the master bedroom closet, jokingly ask where you can store your clothes now that you've seen where mrs. tortuga's clothes will go.

:lol:

Things white, midwestern folk say thread

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2011, 12:14:37 PM »
Renters rejoice!

what happened to this dude from Saul's roof problems thread?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2011, 12:15:06 PM »
gj rinomato, huge fanbase you have out there.  :lol:

that's what happens when you're not a LIAR and a FRAUD like HOUSE HUNTERS.  home buying is not pretty and certainly not for the weak.  some people just can't handle realty reality.  i hope tortuga isn't one because house hunters will make him hate his life if they can.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2011, 12:48:24 PM »
I love on House Hunters after the people tell the realtor  exactly what they are looking for and how much they can spend they always show the realtor on camera alone saying that they hope the couple can compromise because there is no way they are going to get everything they want for that price.

Offline 06wildcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2011, 12:57:59 PM »
If you buy an older home and the seller offers any type of allowance, just take that right off the asking price. Nothing like paying off $1,500 for new carpet over 15 or 30 years.

Low ball the crap out of your first offer. The sellers will usually respond right away with a counter offer, wait a day or two and go $2,000 higher than your first offer. It helps to look up what the property was last listed/sold for when doing this as well. Also Google the owners and see if you can find out why they're selling. Anything being sold as part of an estate is ripe for getting below market value.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2011, 01:00:24 PM »
Renters rejoice!

what happened to this dude from Saul's roof problems thread?

You do the math.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2011, 01:11:16 PM »
I had a house built. Nothing needs fixed. Nothing needs maintained because its all efficient new stuff.

what was your cost vs buying an existing house in the same area?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2011, 01:55:54 PM »
I love on House Hunters after the people tell the realtor  exactly what they are looking for and how much they can spend they always show the realtor on camera alone saying that they hope the couple can compromise because there is no way they are going to get everything they want for that price.

Also, this is more of a property virgins thing, but when there is a place with ugly ass wallpaper or something, they say, "First time owners can't see past things like this. And they're easy to fix! Stupid property virigins!"

LMAO, realtor lady, it's real easy/cheap for YOU when you collect your fee and don't have to pay to tile a bathroom.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 13, 2011, 02:03:58 PM »
Anyone else tired of HGTV shows being based in Canada? Sick of their accents.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 13, 2011, 02:53:54 PM »

I'm sick of the word "joist"
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #92 on: December 13, 2011, 02:54:30 PM »
I had a house built. Nothing needs fixed. Nothing needs maintained because its all efficient new stuff.

what was your cost vs buying an existing house in the same area?

pretty much the same

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 13, 2011, 03:04:56 PM »

one of my biggest complaints about rinomato.  of course, guys like chum1 just eat her toronto crap right up.  not me pal, these colors don't run.
also, read the rough ridin' thread next time before posting in it.  JFC.

Also, this is more of a property virgins thing, but when there is a place with ugly ass wallpaper or something, they say, "First time owners can't see past things like this. And they're easy to fix! Stupid property virigins!"

LMAO, realtor lady, it's real easy/cheap for YOU when you collect your fee and don't have to pay to tile a bathroom.
this actually just happened last night on hunters, of course, they were house shopping in Connecticut.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2011, 03:07:24 PM »
you know how there's an extra charge for floor mats when you buy a new car?  same goes for new houses.  you want a driveway?  that's extra.  deck in the back so that your back door doesn't have a three foot drop into your yard?  extra.  other than stuff like that, though, prices can be comparable.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 13, 2011, 03:15:15 PM »
you know how there's an extra charge for floor mats when you buy a new car?  same goes for new houses.  you want a driveway?  that's extra.  deck in the back so that your back door doesn't have a three foot drop into your yard?  extra.  other than stuff like that, though, prices can be comparable.

Every builder has different allowances for you to spend on various parts of the house (flooring, appliances, fistures, etc.) that is built into the price.  When you go over the allowance figure you are OOP.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 13, 2011, 03:26:05 PM »
pvs on right now.  still no canadian accent for rinomato.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 13, 2011, 03:28:54 PM »

She's as Canadian as they come. Sheep in wolf's clothing. What my pappy always says.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 13, 2011, 03:31:49 PM »

She's as Canadian as they come. Sheep in wolf's clothing. What my pappy always says.

not sure about that.  i've never heard or noticed any canada accent with rinomato.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 13, 2011, 04:00:06 PM »

Every builder has different allowances for you to spend on various parts of the house (flooring, appliances, fistures, etc.) that is built into the price.  When you go over the allowance figure you are OOP.

wait, so this isn't like you decide what you want your house to look like and then they build it on the land you already own?  this is like they're building 200 houses and they'll sell you one on a lot they own and you tell them what kind of tile to put in when they do it?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."