Author Topic: House buying/owning advice  (Read 109790 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: House buying/owning advice
« Reply #575 on: August 06, 2014, 01:30:52 PM »
flood insurance is mandated for most places here lol

Get a sump pump with battery back up and you will be fine.

Might as well just get an automatic generator, right?  Batteries are esssspensive.  Probably get a decent little generator for <$500, and get to operate your fridge/freezer, garage doors, WIFI, furnace, basic lights, and the sump.

If a hurricane storm surge hits Ski'Ben, the wifi will be shot anyway. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: August 06, 2014, 01:31:38 PM »
T's&P's Skinben.  :frown:

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: August 06, 2014, 01:34:21 PM »
get a low deductible. if it hails you don't want to pay for $5k of a new roof. also home insurance is essentially free. it's amazing how cheap it is.

low deductible for sure.  I'm surprised yours is cheap considering Omaha gets so much hail.  insurance is expensive in Texas but even then when you consider how much it covers, it's a pretty good deal.

yeah, I'm surprised as well. we got a new roof on our old house and in speaking with old people in the office most of them have never paid for a roof because omaha is good for a new roof storm every 10 years. our premium is ~$1k a year.

yeah that's pretty solid.  ours is like double that.  Texas, Louisiana and Florida rotate every year and trade spots as the top 3 most expensive states to insure in, because hurricanes obviously but both states also get hail and other types of severe weather.

what's also weird is our new house is ~ the same premium as our old house and it's over twice the size/value/coverage.

must be an error, they will catch it then retro charge you for the add'l premium. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: August 06, 2014, 01:36:43 PM »
get a low deductible. if it hails you don't want to pay for $5k of a new roof. also home insurance is essentially free. it's amazing how cheap it is.

low deductible for sure.  I'm surprised yours is cheap considering Omaha gets so much hail.  insurance is expensive in Texas but even then when you consider how much it covers, it's a pretty good deal.

yeah, I'm surprised as well. we got a new roof on our old house and in speaking with old people in the office most of them have never paid for a roof because omaha is good for a new roof storm every 10 years. our premium is ~$1k a year.

yeah that's pretty solid.  ours is like double that.  Texas, Louisiana and Florida rotate every year and trade spots as the top 3 most expensive states to insure in, because hurricanes obviously but both states also get hail and other types of severe weather.

what's also weird is our new house is ~ the same premium as our old house and it's over twice the size/value/coverage.

must be an error, they will catch it then retro charge you for the add'l premium.

you know what else is weird? our auto premium went up ~$100 a year based on our new address. we just moved from SW Omaha to even SW'ier Omaha.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: August 06, 2014, 02:01:32 PM »

you know what else is weird? our auto premium went up ~$100 a year based on our new address. we just moved from SW Omaha to even SW'ier Omaha.

closer to Mexico?   :dunno:

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: August 06, 2014, 02:25:20 PM »
Do some math prior to committing to a policy. Use the info in this thread to do set up some comparisons. For instance, my mansion is insanely mansiony. I pay $700 a year for high deductible mansion insurance, replacement cost.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline dmartin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: August 07, 2014, 09:12:21 AM »

Same thing happened when we built a new house. House was twice as big, and over twice the value, but the insurance was actually cheaper than our old house which was built in the 50s. Has more to do with everything in the new house being new and up to date compared to the old house with old wiring, plumbing, construction methods, etc. It's actually pretty common.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: August 07, 2014, 11:33:13 AM »

new house = up to code and new roof.  new roof discount is by far the biggest discount you get on homeowners.  my house is 52 years old and has a 10 year old roof and it's in Texas so all that together makes it a lot more expensive.
emaw

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #583 on: August 07, 2014, 11:53:21 AM »
Our new house had an ugly brass casing (thing) on the fire place.  We got it all prepped last night and spray painted it with some nice, high-heat black spray paint.

Really classed it up.  It looks like a sexy black matte football helmet now.

We have gold trim on the fireplace and the shower.  We are using some Rustoleum stuff that is made to cover both for now.  Glad to hear it worked well for you. 

We have taken a whole bunch of gold trim light fixtures and other stuff and done similar successfully.

What product are you guys using?  Do recommend?  Link?

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/specialty-paints/bbq-and-stove/

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: August 07, 2014, 11:55:08 AM »
I am not using that specific rustoleum product, but still rustoleum.  I think it is HomeDepot that actually has an online forum for finding the right paint DIY product they sell to match the project you have.  I goodled shower trim refinish and ended up there and looking at the other rustoleum product we plan to use. 

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: August 07, 2014, 12:43:17 PM »
Basement flooded last night you guys  :frown: at least 3 inches of water. Good thing we didn't have anything important down there!

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 07, 2014, 01:03:04 PM »
Lemme know if you want to borrow a pump KCFDcat.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 07, 2014, 01:21:47 PM »
it's all drained through the floor drain down there. I think it all came up through the drain last night though.  :dubious:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 07, 2014, 02:01:32 PM »
it's all drained through the floor drain down there. I think it all came up through the drain last night though.  :dubious:
had a friend in PV with that problem- turned out the check valve the city put in when they addressed the flooding problems back in the 80s was backwards. 

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 07, 2014, 02:57:21 PM »
had a friend in PV with that problem- turned out the check valve the city put in when they addressed the flooding problems back in the 80s was backwards.

Old houses man...I have a feeling the pipe under the floor is all busted so water just comes up through the opening.  :dunno: gonna have a plumber out to take a look

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 07, 2014, 03:37:14 PM »

can i get a low deductible AND a free new roof?

Also it barely hails here and it's a brand new house so maybe that won't be an issue because of warranty or w/e? :dunno:
unless you have a very reputable company as your builder your warranty is very LOL. FWIW

anyone who thinks a builder's warranty covers hail is  :Crazy:

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 07, 2014, 03:38:51 PM »

nyet, get a water pwered backup.   Battery systems reuqire a lot of maintenance.   Water powered just require municipal water supply, no power.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 07, 2014, 03:43:12 PM »
the Rustoleum Universal hammered finishes are nice.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 07, 2014, 04:07:00 PM »

nyet, get a water pwered backup.   Battery systems reuqire a lot of maintenance.   Water powered just require municipal water supply, no power.

Mine was a joke as Ski'ben lives in NOLA.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 08, 2014, 11:46:16 PM »
That was a joke? I just bought a sump pump. Top of the line. :frown:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 08, 2014, 11:47:38 PM »

Good buy
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 09, 2014, 08:59:07 AM »
Can never go wrong.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 09, 2014, 11:32:53 AM »
yeah, you get what you pay for with sumps.  cheap ones can overheat if they are working hard.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 09, 2014, 08:49:42 PM »

This.

A couple of years ago my parents were out of town when a big storm rolled in, neighbors called them to say the neighborhood lost power and they had a couple of inches of water their basement.

Parents give me a call and I go over to their house the next day. I open the basement door to find our washing machine and my childhood Baseball/Football card collection floating in 3 ft of water.  :frown:

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 09, 2014, 08:59:05 PM »

Mine was a joke as Ski'ben lives in NOLA.

i didn't know you were joking but i laughed at your post.  and then mikey  :facepalm: