Author Topic: travel thread  (Read 1373775 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #2375 on: August 20, 2013, 05:07:04 PM »
200k AA for 2 biz class RTs for starters.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: travel thread
« Reply #2376 on: August 20, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »
Hawaii and it's not even close in this poster's opinion.  I can't fathom why someone not on spring break would want to vacation in Mexico when there are so many better options.

cancun area is cheap and easy to get to/out of so i can see why people would want to do it. but westcoastrus is already on the west coast, so i'd hawaii it if i were him.

I went to Cancun on spring break and it was okay for getting black out drunk with other random college party people, but I would have hated it as an adult.  Same for Acapulco and Puerto Vallarta.  Remove my youngness and the crazy partying oppies with other like-minded and like-aged individuals and eff no.  I don't care how cheap it is Rusty, don't you do it.

yeah. i don't think i'd really like cancun as an adult during the middle of spring break either. ii can understand why adults would sometimes go there instead of hawaii though. i mean eff it. why even go to hawaii when the maldives are just sitting there. right, bread?

Cancun as an adult would be shitty whenever you go unless you enjoy having a terrible time at a subpar locale.  The maldives look awful.  Too small and low.  Might as well take a vacation on a pontoon boat in the middle of the Indian Ocean.  Maybe you'd like to suggest Beirut, great beaches I hear and crazy cheap.

i had fun in cancun the one time that i went as an adult a few years ago, but then again i'm a really fun person that tends to have a lot of fun wherever i go. dunno.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: August 20, 2013, 06:33:16 PM »
Flew oak-mci in feb with a layover in phx.  The phx-mci part was 30% people coming back from Hawaii and when we landed it was super cold and snow on the ground and they were all super bummed.  Was a very boozed up party flight before that though.

I don't really have anything else to add.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: August 20, 2013, 06:36:45 PM »
Flew oak-mci in feb with a layover in phx.  The phx-mci part was 30% people coming back from Hawaii and when we landed it was super cold and snow on the ground and they were all super bummed.  Was a very boozed up party flight before that though.

I don't really have anything else to add.

i flew to aruba once and there was some old couple (may have been a threesome-old guy that appeared to be with two old ladies) that appeared super boozed up. anyway, he and one of the ladies proceeded to grope and make out and all sorts of stuff. it was at like 11am and then they finally passed out. good grief.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: August 20, 2013, 07:45:45 PM »
Retirement sound great.  Aruba.  Ladies. Morning benders.   Money magazine needs to spend more time talking about that and there would be more ppl investing in their retirement.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: August 20, 2013, 10:31:25 PM »
Going to Nashville for work then sticking around for a weekend.  What should I do/stay?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #2381 on: August 20, 2013, 10:40:33 PM »

Going to Nashville for work then sticking around for a weekend.  What should I do/stay?

I bet trim has an idea...

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: August 20, 2013, 10:48:24 PM »
I have basically no miles right now, but United is easiest for me to build up w/ lots of travel. Have really only done one SW card, a Delta card, and a United Explorer card so I'm pretty wide open. Was planning on doing Sapphire next but can be swayed.

4 people

go to kauai. stay at the grand hyatt kauai. you and the wife each get the hyatt card sometime this year and that gets you 4 nights there. you can use UR points for additional nights at 22k a night from there. with no points right now you are going to have a tough time getting free flights in that timeframe. best bet would be to find cheap airfare for 4 or find award space on a flight for 1 or 2 people and pay for the remainder. award space is tough as crap to get to hawaii anyway and it has been open for next April for a few months now so your availability may already be spotty.

Michigancat and SB could have an April Kauai pak. :horrorsurprise:
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline NDSU Lollypopkid

• servicing the good witch
  • Dances With Wolves Aggie
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: August 20, 2013, 11:16:24 PM »
For a beach vacation: Hawaii or somewhere in Mexico or central America? pros/cons of each?

have been to mexico and hawaii multiple times each and will probably not go back to mexico. have not been to central america. hawaii has better water, surf & snorkling where I have gone. I've only been to cancun, cabo and the gulf coast of mexico south of padre though so I'm sure it has better options than what I saw. mexico will be cheaper apples to apples.
Cabo is amazing....and it doesnt have the aura that youll get your head chopped off at night if you go out on the town like other Mexico cities
titletown..lulz

Online mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: August 21, 2013, 09:36:31 AM »

there's a bunch of good Nashville stuff earlier in this thread
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:31:58 AM by mocat »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2385 on: August 21, 2013, 09:38:37 AM »
For a beach vacation: Hawaii or somewhere in Mexico or central America? pros/cons of each?

have been to mexico and hawaii multiple times each and will probably not go back to mexico. have not been to central america. hawaii has better water, surf & snorkling where I have gone. I've only been to cancun, cabo and the gulf coast of mexico south of padre though so I'm sure it has better options than what I saw. mexico will be cheaper apples to apples.
Cabo is amazing....and it doesnt have the aura that youll get your head chopped off at night if you go out on the town like other Mexico cities

If someone asked me what someone from ND would say about Cabo I would probably type this exact thing word for word. Amazing.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: travel thread
« Reply #2386 on: August 21, 2013, 09:54:51 AM »

If someone asked me what someone from ND would say about Cabo I would probably type this exact thing word for word. Amazing.

To be fair to our ND friend, there are 18 times as many Hispanic people in Kansas as ND. It's pretty common for people to be uncomfortable around things their uncultured selves have never been exposed to. We really are blessed to have grown up in such a diverse environment.
:adios:

Offline EllToPay

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Typical EMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: August 21, 2013, 11:02:07 AM »

that's it?  :don'tcare:

Offline NDSU Lollypopkid

• servicing the good witch
  • Dances With Wolves Aggie
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: August 21, 2013, 11:04:38 AM »

Great minds think alike..but that said, I'm not from nd
titletown..lulz

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: August 21, 2013, 11:06:01 AM »

that's it?  :don'tcare:

yeah, let me know when you have those and we'll get to hotels and transfers and whatnot.

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: August 21, 2013, 07:52:58 PM »

there's a bunch of good Nashville stuff earlier in this thread

Thanks mocat.  Headed there tomorrow.

Offline Rams

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Worst poster on this board by far
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: August 21, 2013, 09:07:05 PM »

Great minds think alike..but that said, I'm not from nd
:facepalm:
"Son. This is why we are wildcats. Hard work, pride, the heart of this country. And if that's not enough for you, you can just move to California with your punk friends."

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: August 21, 2013, 09:07:49 PM »
Detroit is as pud as you imagine it is.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: August 22, 2013, 12:28:26 AM »
I have basically no miles right now, but United is easiest for me to build up w/ lots of travel. Have really only done one SW card, a Delta card, and a United Explorer card so I'm pretty wide open. Was planning on doing Sapphire next but can be swayed.

4 people

go to kauai. stay at the grand hyatt kauai. you and the wife each get the hyatt card sometime this year and that gets you 4 nights there. you can use UR points for additional nights at 22k a night from there. with no points right now you are going to have a tough time getting free flights in that timeframe. best bet would be to find cheap airfare for 4 or find award space on a flight for 1 or 2 people and pay for the remainder. award space is tough as crap to get to hawaii anyway and it has been open for next April for a few months now so your availability may already be spotty.

Change of plans, probably will do it next October. Start churning some AA cards?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: August 22, 2013, 12:47:10 AM »
october is a good time to visit mexico.  ditch the kids and i'll hook you up with places to stay wherever you want to go.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: August 22, 2013, 01:01:11 AM »
october is a good time to visit mexico.  ditch the kids and i'll hook you up with places to stay wherever you want to go.

dude you told me to go inland. Not sure if I can trust you.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
travel thread
« Reply #2396 on: August 22, 2013, 05:54:53 AM »

4 people

Change of plans, probably will do it next October. Start churning some AA cards?

Yeah, whoever flys from oak or sfo. Also, the Maui invitational featuring the cats is around that time.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: August 22, 2013, 07:03:37 AM »

when did i tell you that?  i was right though, if you go to mexico, you should go inland.  central mexico is way more interesting, and montane western mexico is more beautiful.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: August 22, 2013, 07:09:47 AM »
when did i tell you that?  i was right though

:thumbs:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: travel thread
« Reply #2399 on: August 22, 2013, 09:02:14 AM »

when did i tell you that?  i was right though, if you go to mexico, you should go inland.  central mexico is way more interesting, and montane western mexico is more beautiful.

yeesh, it was just Sunday.

it really has that signature NorCal summer heat thing going

go a few miles inland, norcalcat.

in all honesty your potential itinerary sounds like it would be great, but I've never taken a sit my ass on a tropical beach vacation and it sounds pretty nice and relaxing.