Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 933794 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #1700 on: April 11, 2011, 02:52:31 PM »
Seems to be something of a passive aggressive way of pushing for a raise.

lol, no.  "hey, no one's called about me, but i'd totally leave if anyone ever did" isn't give me a raise.  it's why won't you call me, i've always loved you.

I don't know.  Just sounds like he wants everyone to know that he will always listen, which is employee speak for make me a better offer.  

That's not all he said, though. He went on to say that he thinks the reason Miami hasn't called him is that they might think he makes 1.5 million instead of 1.1 million. He also said that Miami has unfairly been called a bad job. It sounded like he was interviewing for the Miami job, only Miami doesn't want anything to do with him.

If Frank really wants to stay and is just trying to get a raise, he should probably find himself a better agent.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: April 11, 2011, 02:53:39 PM »

lol, no.  "hey, no one's called about me, but i'd totally leave if anyone ever did" isn't give me a raise.  it's why won't you call me, i've always loved you.

I don't know.  Just sounds like he wants everyone to know that he will always listen, which is employee speak for make me a better offer. 

That's not all he said, though. He went on to say that he thinks the reason Miami hasn't called him is that they might think he makes 1.5 million instead of 1.1 million. He also said that Miami has unfairly been called a bad job. It sounded like he was interviewing for the Miami job, only Miami doesn't want anything to do with him.

If Frank really wants to stay and is just trying to get a raise, he should probably find himself a better agent.

He can keep his agent to do boring contract writing and stuff; he just needs to hire goEMAW PR.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: April 11, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »
Probably realized that we're not cool with second round exits and fourth place anymore.  Miami fans would rough ridin' love him for that crap.  Hell, some of them might even show up for the games, IN PERSON!!!
I'd be pretty damn cool with that season next year.

we need to find tucker and get the message out:  media reports that kstate fans are not cool with second round exits and fourth place are inaccurate.  we will accept less.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: April 11, 2011, 02:56:12 PM »

lol, no.  "hey, no one's called about me, but i'd totally leave if anyone ever did" isn't give me a raise.  it's why won't you call me, i've always loved you.

I don't know.  Just sounds like he wants everyone to know that he will always listen, which is employee speak for make me a better offer.  

"Mr. Currie, I really like Miami and I don't make as much as our fans think I do.  Did I mention that I really, really like Miami and that it is better there than you think it is?  Do our fans know that I make $400k less a year than what has been recently reported?"

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: April 11, 2011, 02:57:30 PM »
So, with this article now in tow...and Frank has essentially resorted to trying to orchestrate a job offer from Miami through the media, he at this point couldn't give two cacs if he alienates the entire fan base and university that he works for.

If I'm Miami, get on the phone and simply throw out a low ball offer.  You can have him for cheap because it appears Frank is willing to take a considerable pay cut if it means getting the hell out of Dodge.

And this isn't about leveraging for a raise at K-State.  This is about wanting out.

Seems like if he just wanted out, he would have simply had his agent contact Miami directly.  I'm thinking Frank wants more money but, for right now, a better job hasn't presented itself.  Just throw out an article like this, let the KState fans know that he's not getting paid as well as most thought and let everyone know that he is willing to entertain offers from other schools.  Our fanbase will freak out and Currie will pay him more money.  In the next few years, when a really good opportunity is open, he bolts with extra cash in his pocket.  (Possibly to help with his buyout?)

I’m sure his agent has contacted Miami directly.  There’s probably been a lot of contact through intermediary channels.

Honestly, I think it’s as simple as he really wants to go back to Miami.

I also think UM sees Frank as unattainable because of his salary and the perceived additional support for his assistant coaches, and has conscientiously not reached out to focus on what they believe to be more achievable targets.

If this was about milking another couple hundred grand out of K-State, I just find it hard to believe that this his negotiation tactic is to insult the current athletic department publically by broadcasting how little he thinks he's being paid one year from a raise and contract extension.  To me, it seems exactly as it appears, an attempt to say, "I’m more within reach than what you may perceive and I'm willing to listen".

And I wouldn’t be surprised in the next few days to see Frank start popping up on their coaching list, especially as their shitty targets start to fall by the wayside.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: April 11, 2011, 02:59:31 PM »
Until further notice he's Frank Kruger.

This is playing out almost exactly the same.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: April 11, 2011, 02:59:39 PM »
And I wouldn’t be surprised in the next few days to see Frank start popping up on their coaching list, especially as their shitty targets start to fall by the wayside.

It will be their losing McDermott to land Huggins moment.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: April 11, 2011, 03:01:56 PM »

"Mr. Currie, I really like Miami and I don't make as much as our fans think I do.  Did I mention that I really, really like Miami and that it is better there than you think it is?  Do our fans know that I make $400k less a year than what has been recently reported?"

If this is about getting a raise, Frank doesn't really know how to go about it. I would be surprised if he gets anything after this. His chances were much better before that interview.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1708 on: April 11, 2011, 03:05:16 PM »
And I wouldn’t be surprised in the next few days to see Frank start popping up on their coaching list, especially as their cacty targets start to fall by the wayside.

I'd be massively surprised.

They contacted Tommy Amaker, who coaches Harvard.  Miami has always thought of themselves as the Harvard of the Southeast, and it doesn't shock me one bit that they are looking at an Ivy League coach first and foremost.  Not one bit.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: April 11, 2011, 03:06:19 PM »

If this is about getting a raise, Frank doesn't really know how to go about it. I would be surprised if he gets anything after this. His chances were much better before that interview.

This interview means that Pearl's show clause better be pretty short lived because we're in the market for a new coach within three years.  Tops.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: April 11, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »
I'm skipping the spring football game in protest of this whole situation.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: April 11, 2011, 03:08:23 PM »
And I wouldn’t be surprised in the next few days to see Frank start popping up on their coaching list, especially as their cacty targets start to fall by the wayside.

The hilarious thing is that Amaker will probably turn then down to stay at Harvard and we've got Frank willing to kill a drifter for a rough ridin' phone call.

This is so K-State.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: April 11, 2011, 03:09:07 PM »
I bet the subject line in Frank's e-mail to Tucker offering an interview was "my belated response to that dork trying to take CK from me".

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: April 11, 2011, 03:09:55 PM »

The hilarious thing is that Amaker will probably turn then down to stay at Harvard and we've got Frank willing to kill a drifter for a rough ridin' phone call.

This is so K-State.

I would imagine Amaker would turn them down if they offered.  They need to get Capel.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: April 11, 2011, 03:10:50 PM »
I don't quite get the play here...

Frank has no leverage for a raise if Miami hasn't called.
Miami knows Frank would listen

So why bother admitting the things he said in the last article?

Makes no sense.

so miami knows he's willing to work for less than $1.5M in Miami.  obviously.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: April 11, 2011, 03:11:18 PM »

mr. currie has a copy of martin's contract and knows perfectly well that martin does make 1.55/year.  so having tucker tell him he doesn't isn't likely to be a very effective negotiating ploy.

miami on the other hand, probably didn't know that martin would take their job for anything over 1.1.

there may be something in why this is public rather than private.  obviously, martin doesn't need to use tucker to communicate with either currie or miami.  not sure what that angle might be.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: April 11, 2011, 03:12:13 PM »
It could be Frank just needs an offer for validation, both for himself and his friends and family at home.
Or he really wants a cacy job in his hometown.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: April 11, 2011, 03:12:47 PM »
I bet the subject line in Frank's e-mail to Tucker offering an interview was "my belated response to that dork trying to take CK from me".

this couldn't be better for currie.  4 hours ago, tuck nation would have blamed currie for losing martin, now they're all currieites.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: April 11, 2011, 03:15:17 PM »

mr. currie has a copy of martin's contract and knows perfectly well that martin does make 1.55/year.  so having tucker tell him he doesn't isn't likely to be a very effective negotiating ploy.

miami on the other hand, probably didn't know that martin would take their job for anything over 1.1.

there may be something in why this is public rather than private.  obviously, martin doesn't need to use tucker to communicate with either currie or miami.  not sure what that angle might be.

this is a great post

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: April 11, 2011, 03:20:25 PM »

My guess...Currie and Frank had a chat in the last few days, Frank didn't like what he heard, and he's now very keen on looking around.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: April 11, 2011, 03:20:50 PM »
<----someone who doesn't want to dig up/read the contract.

is the $1.55M an avg over the life of the contract, or did he in fact actually make that over the last season?

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: April 11, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »
Why is Frank doing this? I'm hurt by this.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: April 11, 2011, 03:21:22 PM »

this couldn't be better for currie.  4 hours ago, tuck nation would have blamed currie for losing martin, now they're all currieites.

We've been getting along too well with the tucks lately anyway.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: April 11, 2011, 03:22:14 PM »
I don't want to start hating Currie.  Hope nothing happens to make me start.

Can't hate Frank, regardless.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: April 11, 2011, 03:24:40 PM »
I don't quite get the play here...

Frank has no leverage for a raise if Miami hasn't called.
Miami knows Frank would listen

So why bother admitting the things he said in the last article?

Makes no sense.

so miami knows he's willing to work for less than $1.5M in Miami.  obviously.

Ummmm, yeah.

Sounds like his agent hasn't been effective communicating that, so he's now openly begging/lobbying through the media.

It is kind of funny that this is his response in disputing the other media reports from this weekend that he isn't a candidate.