Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 933767 times)

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #6275 on: January 09, 2023, 09:37:14 PM »
More

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6276 on: January 09, 2023, 09:56:37 PM »
How come Oscar never had to answer that question?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6277 on: January 09, 2023, 10:05:08 PM »
 :pray: :kstategrad: :ohno: :emawkid:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: January 09, 2023, 10:18:58 PM »
Lots of schools have wasted lots of money on search firms when they could’ve just prayed.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: January 09, 2023, 11:37:15 PM »
Mods, please note this thread is no longer featuring the ksu cats

Not true.  I’m a huge Tang fan, but I’m not sure if it’s a great plan to criticize fans for not buying in enough and then say this.

https://twitter.com/glenn_kinley/status/1612611184271802368

What exactly do you want him to say that would connote buy in?

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6280 on: January 09, 2023, 11:55:25 PM »
Mods, please note this thread is no longer featuring the ksu cats

Not true.  I’m a huge Tang fan, but I’m not sure if it’s a great plan to criticize fans for not buying in enough and then say this.

https://twitter.com/glenn_kinley/status/1612611184271802368

He's going to get more love Tuesday night than he ever has in his professional life, and it'll continue through the season. I really have little worry he'll leave this year or soon as I honestly think he can legit vie for a national championship here and be compensated appropriately.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6281 on: January 09, 2023, 11:57:06 PM »
Will K-State fans pray enough to convince God? Time will tell...
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6282 on: January 10, 2023, 12:07:58 AM »
Will K-State fans pray enough to convince God? Time will tell...

It’s supposed to be a very well-attended game tomorrow and might be a good time to start some organized pregame prayers!

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #6283 on: January 10, 2023, 12:08:29 AM »

Pretty much anything other than... If God wants me somewhere else, then I'll be somewhere else.

I don't think it's controversial to say that it wasn't exactly reassuring, but none of us have any idea what's actually in his head or whether it means anything at all.  Mostly it's just damn good bbs'ing material.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6284 on: January 10, 2023, 07:01:41 AM »
Tang’s job isn’t to be reassuring. There aren’t a ton of programs that are realistic threats to hire him away, but if one of the big boys decides they want him then he doesn’t owe us crap. Leaving it up to God seems like as good a plan as any.

Offline Purple Derpathy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6285 on: January 10, 2023, 07:35:58 AM »
At what point does he put AD Taylor in a spot where he has to renegotiate/extend midseason? I mean, we're going to be favorites the next two games and they are very winnable. If we win and hang 90 on KU at home to start the conference play at 6-0, he's got to do something, right?  The rumors will be swirling at that point and he'll be the hottest coaching commodity in the land.  His buyout is a mere $5mil. That's crap when premier programs are paying $10M/year.

He may not be trying to negotiate a raise, but he sure left the door wide open.

Offline KCFDcat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6286 on: January 10, 2023, 08:02:50 AM »
At what point does he put AD Taylor in a spot where he has to renegotiate/extend midseason? I mean, we're going to be favorites the next two games and they are very winnable. If we win and hang 90 on KU at home to start the conference play at 6-0, he's got to do something, right?  The rumors will be swirling at that point and he'll be the hottest coaching commodity in the land.  His buyout is a mere $5mil. That's crap when premier programs are paying $10M/year.

Is anyone other than the top 5 programs paying 10m/yr? Beard was making 5 at Texas.

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: January 10, 2023, 08:16:39 AM »

Is anyone other than the top 5 programs paying 10m/yr? Beard was making 5 at Texas.

https://sports.betmgm.com/en/blog/ncaab/top-college-basketball-head-coach-salaries-bm10/

HEAD COACH   SCHOOL   SALARY (2021-22)   BUYOUT
Bill Self   Kansas   $10,184,282   $5,410,000
John Calipari   Kentucky   $8,602,306   $47,718,750
Tom Izzo   Michigan St.   $8,341,321   $7,432,454
Jay Wright   Villanova   $6,192,252   N/A
Chris Beard   Texas   $5,255,000   $21,000,000
Rick Barnes   Tennessee   $5,200,000   $23,137,500
Jamie Dixon   TCU   $4,347,975   N/A
Chris Mack   Louisville   $4,257,494   N/A
Bob Huggins   West Virginia   $4,150,000   $4,688,750
Eric Musselman   Arkansas   $4,000,000   $11,433,333

Tang is at $2.1 for reference
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 08:19:45 AM by Houstoncat93 »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6288 on: January 10, 2023, 08:45:00 AM »

You don't extend/negotiate mid season, ever, and pretty clearly Gene won't. He didn't with Klieman, he sure as hell isn't going to do it with a coach in his first season. The basketball season, particularly the conference season, is really short, the Big 12 tournament is 8 weeks from tomorrow. He's not going to take another job, during the season. Worry about this crap after the season. He's also not going to be anywhere close to $10 million, not even $5 unless we win the Big 12 and go to the final four.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6289 on: January 10, 2023, 08:52:30 AM »
Div. 1. bball coaches won't bail for another team unless 1) they aren't getting paid fairly, 2) don't get along with AD.  Not sure why we are all freaking out about Tangs contract at this point in time.  What unnecessary drama we have created as a fanbase.  We love to self-sabotage. 
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6290 on: January 10, 2023, 09:13:39 AM »
Div. 1. bball coaches won't bail for another team unless 1) they aren't getting paid fairly, 2) don't get along with AD.  3) that coach's dream job unexpectedly became available and they have a chance to go home. Not sure why we are all freaking out about Tangs contract at this point in time.  What unnecessary drama we have created as a fanbase.  We love to self-sabotage.

and yes it is a total dry-dick beta move to be worried about our coach leaving us after one season, but on the bright side, when was the last time we had any reason to feel worried about that? Kinda feels nice to have something that other people would love to take from you. Its honestly been over a decade since i felt even the slightest paranoia over a coach leaving us and honestly i don't hate it. nice to feel those kinds of emotions again.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6291 on: January 10, 2023, 09:29:27 AM »
I wouldn't have been concerned if he gave a halfway decent answer.  It's a pretty glaring misstep for someone who seems to be calculated and executing perfectly since he's taken the job.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6292 on: January 10, 2023, 09:30:50 AM »
Div. 1. bball coaches won't bail for another team unless 1) they aren't getting paid fairly, 2) don't get along with AD.  Not sure why we are all freaking out about Tangs contract at this point in time.  What unnecessary drama we have created as a fanbase.  We love to self-sabotage.

Not "we all" the people losing their crap is a miniscule minority, same with the number of people crying because the coaches actually expressed the need to see a full arena. These stressful ass drama queens are rough ridin' up twitter right now. They are also setting up the mother of all meltdowns once we lose.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: January 10, 2023, 09:31:35 AM »
He gave the perfect answer for getting God to give you the best extension you can get.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: January 10, 2023, 09:35:28 AM »
I wouldn't have been concerned if he gave a halfway decent answer.  It's a pretty glaring misstep for someone who seems to be calculated and executing perfectly since he's taken the job.

You want him to have a calculated answer about jobs he definitely hasn't been offered yet? Wouldn't a calculated response to this question, the first week of January, speak to his mind not being focused on where it needs to be? No, I don't want him to have a crafted answer to that question on January 9th off his first season as a head coach.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6295 on: January 10, 2023, 09:39:01 AM »
Div. 1. bball coaches won't bail for another team unless 1) they aren't getting paid fairly, 2) don't get along with AD.  3) that coach's dream job unexpectedly became available and they have a chance to go home. Not sure why we are all freaking out about Tangs contract at this point in time.  What unnecessary drama we have created as a fanbase.  We love to self-sabotage.

and yes it is a total dry-dick beta move to be worried about our coach leaving us after one season, but on the bright side, when was the last time we had any reason to feel worried about that? Kinda feels nice to have something that other people would love to take from you. Its honestly been over a decade since i felt even the slightest paranoia over a coach leaving us and honestly i don't hate it. nice to feel those kinds of emotions again.
I think it’s also about time we came to grips with the fact that KSU is just an easy place to win. Our past two coaches each had E8 appearances, and the last one we fired got us two conference titles.

Tang’s ability to create a whole new team from a bottom dwelling roster is still nothing short of incredible, though.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6296 on: January 10, 2023, 09:41:11 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure that if Tang decides to go somewhere else, God will provide us another championship-caliber coach. We should do whatever it takes to make sure that never happens, though.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6297 on: January 10, 2023, 09:45:17 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure that if Tang decides to go somewhere else, God will provide us another championship-caliber coach. We should do whatever it takes to make sure that never happens, though.

You seem to be ass stricken over the fact that he's a man of faith. Y'all keep shoehorning God in your posts is real goofy behavior.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6298 on: January 10, 2023, 09:47:15 AM »
The dude was at Baylor for a really long time.  To me, that makes it seem like he was very loyal to Scott Drew because he gave him a shot.  The same can probably be said here, KSU gave him his first head coaching chance.  He "seems" like a guy that is going to be loyal....doesn't mean he wouldn't leave in the future, but I can't see him leaving after one year when he's had such great early season success.

Quit worrying for now, dorks.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6299 on: January 10, 2023, 09:52:11 AM »

You seem to be ass stricken over the fact that he's a man of faith. Y'all keep shoehorning God in your posts is real goofy behavior.

No, it's probably my favorite thing about him. It's still fun to poke fun sometimes, though.