Author Topic: Assistant Coach Rumor Thread  (Read 189244 times)

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Assistant Coach Rumor Thread
« Reply #675 on: April 26, 2012, 05:31:35 PM »

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: April 26, 2012, 06:13:38 PM »
All the talk in this thread about what the standard should be, while interesting, is a complete waste of time.  The only person whose "standard" matters is Currie, and his only standard is "don't do anything to make me look bad".  Unless Weber completely tanks the program, Currie will keep him around.  A couple of NITs and an NCAA appearance once every five years will keep things just good enough that Currie won't be forced to fire him and admit he made a mistake.  As long as Currie is here, we're stuck with Weber...unless he burns it to the ground posthaste, or Currie moves on to his destination job.  #teamhorns
"WELL BARYY YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU DO BECUZ IF YOU DONT DO IT, THEN WHO WILL - YOU GOTTA HAVE HART AND DATERMANASHIN AND FLOURIDE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO BE A TRUE CHAMPION" - The Ed

Offline Ira Hayes

• Created #RayRayForAD
  • Katpak'r
  • The Marine that went to war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: April 26, 2012, 06:19:24 PM »
However, would you have beat the Larry Brown drum if you knew it came with Jank as HCIW?  Ignore that Jank would not have been invited here with his ex wife working in Anderson Hall.

How can you ignore that?  Jank's ex-wife is on the freaking advisory board and her dad is a legend at KSU.  Jank is not coming back as long as she has a say in who is getting hired.

I think Larry would have loved the K-State job just for all of the irony...for about 2 or 3 years.

Also, there is no need to apologize. I enjoy being annoying. Especially when I am right.

It's a hypothetical Ira, Jackie Hartman now works at the University of Delaware.  Would you take Larry Brown as your coach for 3 years if Jank was contracted to be the head coach for the following 5?

It's a fairy tale hypothetical.

If KSU had a goose that laid golden eggs would you want us to trade it for Bill Self?

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: April 26, 2012, 06:21:05 PM »
All the talk in this thread about what the standard should be, while interesting, is a complete waste of time.  The only person whose "standard" matters is Currie, and his only standard is "don't do anything to make me look bad".  Unless Weber completely tanks the program, Currie will keep him around.  A couple of NITs and an NCAA appearance once every five years will keep things just good enough that Currie won't be forced to fire him and admit he made a mistake.  As long as Currie is here, we're stuck with Weber...unless he burns it to the ground posthaste, or Currie moves on to his destination job.  #teamhorns

BBSing in general is interesting, but a complete waste of time. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: April 26, 2012, 06:24:22 PM »
However, would you have beat the Larry Brown drum if you knew it came with Jank as HCIW?  Ignore that Jank would not have been invited here with his ex wife working in Anderson Hall.

How can you ignore that?  Jank's ex-wife is on the freaking advisory board and her dad is a legend at KSU.  Jank is not coming back as long as she has a say in who is getting hired.

I think Larry would have loved the K-State job just for all of the irony...for about 2 or 3 years.

Also, there is no need to apologize. I enjoy being annoying. Especially when I am right.

It's a hypothetical Ira, Jackie Hartman now works at the University of Delaware.  Would you take Larry Brown as your coach for 3 years if Jank was contracted to be the head coach for the following 5?

If KSU had a goose that laid golden eggs would you want us to trade it for Bill Self?

It was a pretty simple hypothetical.  If you said you wouldn't want three years of Brown if it then meant five years of Jank, it would have not made your Brown pining less relevant, we weren't discussing assistants then.

I'll say it for you, hell no you wouldn't take a package deal of Brown and Jank.  Don't worry Ira, the rest of us wouldn't either and Larry is still boss.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: April 26, 2012, 06:50:08 PM »

seems like you've finally come around, mccock.  welcome to paradise. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: April 26, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »
Would have been fun!

And then in two years, we could have handed the reigns to Pearl!

Seriously, how fun would that have been?!!!!!

brown, maligi, howard and non-recruiting, ciw pearl?  yeah that would have been about the only thing currie could have done to not look like a giant Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) for running off martin.  not even rusty would believe he'd have the balls to even consider it though.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Barry McCockner

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: April 26, 2012, 08:03:50 PM »

seems like you've finally come around, mccock.  welcome to paradise.

"WELL BARYY YOU GOTTA DO WHAT YOU DO BECUZ IF YOU DONT DO IT, THEN WHO WILL - YOU GOTTA HAVE HART AND DATERMANASHIN AND FLOURIDE IN YOUR SYSTEM TO BE A TRUE CHAMPION" - The Ed

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Assistant Coach Rumor Thread
« Reply #683 on: April 26, 2012, 09:12:12 PM »

It was a pretty simple hypothetical.  If you said you wouldn't want three years of Brown if it then meant five years of Jank, it would have not made your Brown pining less relevant, we weren't discussing assistants then.

I'll say it for you, hell no you wouldn't take a package deal of Brown and Jank.  Don't worry Ira, the rest of us wouldn't either and Larry is still boss.

I don't know the details but I'd be rough ridin' shocked if Jank gets an eight year deal at SMU.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: April 26, 2012, 10:40:00 PM »
i'd take brown and hciw jank.  it's a toss up. 

weber >>> brown
jank >>> the guy who has to follow weber

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Assistant Coach Rumor Thread
« Reply #685 on: April 26, 2012, 11:28:12 PM »

I don't know the details but I'd be rough ridin' shocked if Jank gets an eight year deal at SMU.

Unimportant to the hypothetical, just want to make sure that no one would sign up for some Larry Brown for a larger serving of Jank.  I thought Ira would be close but for some reason he is having a hard time squeezing out the two letters, N O.

That being said it will almost certainly be a 6 year deal as a minimum.  As you know head coaches have a minimum of 4 or they'll get killed on the recruiting trail.  Brown will at least be around for 2, listening to him on Jim Rome earlier this week he sure sounds like he wants more.  BTW I think Brown said his mom lived to like 107, seriously.  I think the absolute minimum Jank will be around is 6.  Even if Brown is around for only two he and that staff will build something with the help of the wonderful Nick Russell.  Whatever momentum they build it will take Jank at least 4 to crash it to the point where he over stays his welcome, see his tenure at ISU.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: April 27, 2012, 08:47:01 AM »
Now that I've consulted with other elites, I do feel as though at least one Franking is/was needed to make room for Gray.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: April 27, 2012, 09:18:17 AM »

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: April 27, 2012, 09:20:50 AM »
AB3 official

@Coach_AB3 Thanks to everyone in the Bearkat family, love y'all! I'm excited for the opportunity on joining the Kansas State Family!

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: April 27, 2012, 10:28:44 AM »
Q - who is butthurt by the fact that we are getting clownsuited by SMU and a 71 year old man?

A - ME

Also i would have been happy to have Jank as HCIW s.  Hell some people wanted him hired outright. 

However i would have prefered Gottlieb in this role, would have been the best of all possible worlds.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: April 27, 2012, 10:31:06 AM »
I think I would have preferred Jank to oscar straight up as HC. Not sure. It's close.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Assistant Coach Rumor Thread
« Reply #691 on: April 27, 2012, 10:45:36 AM »
Shut up michigancat

Offline beefpac

• The Mexecutioner
  • Fan
  • The future is coming!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: April 27, 2012, 10:51:57 AM »
So, one spot left.  Who is the next contestant on "Impossible Position to Fill" show?  Is there anyone who we know even interviewed for the job (aside from Price)?
"Ever heard of that one, Stan?"

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: April 27, 2012, 10:58:41 AM »
I think I would have preferred Jank to oscar straight up as HC. Not sure. It's close.

why

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: April 27, 2012, 11:09:30 AM »

why

Mostly because he hasn't been fired. This year showed he could win w/o Osiris Eldridge - the team was all his. Mid major coaches aren't as scary when they've had success beyond year 3 IMO. Like I said, it's close. I really have a problem with the getting fired thing.

I realize Weber @SIU was better than Jank @ISU, but it isn't that much better:

1998–99    Southern Illinois    15–12    10–8    T–5th    
1999–00    Southern Illinois    20–13    12–6    3rd    NIT 2nd Round
2000–01    Southern Illinois    16–14    10–8    T–4th    
2001–02    Southern Illinois    28–8    14–4    T–1st    NCAA Sweet Sixteen
2002–03    Southern Illinois    24–7    16–2    1st    NCAA 1st Round

vs.

2007–2008    Illinois State    25–10    13–5    2nd    NIT Second Round
2008–2009    Illinois State    24–10    11–7    3rd    NIT First Round
2009–2010    Illinois State    22–11    11–7    3rd    NIT First Round
2010–2011    Illinois State    12-19    4–14    T9th    
2011-2012    Illinois State    21-14    9-9    T3rd    NIT Second Round

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: April 27, 2012, 11:38:37 AM »
I'm flipping through the record books and trying to see how many Final Four's and National Titles the MVC has relative to the Big 10.

So far it looks pretty one sided.

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: April 27, 2012, 11:58:31 AM »

why

Mostly because he hasn't been fired. This year showed he could win w/o Osiris Eldridge - the team was all his. Mid major coaches aren't as scary when they've had success beyond year 3 IMO. Like I said, it's close. I really have a problem with the getting fired thing.

vs.

Dude stop.  Your better than this.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: April 27, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »
It's pretty much a coin flip between Jank and Weber, imo. Neither of them have accomplished anything at all with their own players, and both would most likely put us on a slow path to irrelevance.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: April 27, 2012, 12:19:43 PM »

why

vs.

Does North Texas not count?

1993–1994 North Texas 14–15 9–9 T4th 
1994–1995 North Texas 14–13 9–9 5th 
1995–1996 North Texas 15–13 12–6 2nd 
1996–1997 North Texas 10–16 5–11 5th (East)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: April 27, 2012, 12:23:17 PM »
i think a reasonable argument could be made that weber only had success at siu because of young rising start matt painter. i'm on the fence w/ this whole jank v weber thing though. obviously painter is easily the best of the three though and was with weber the whole time during his siu success.