Author Topic: Assistant Coach Rumor Thread  (Read 189233 times)

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
Re: Assistant Coach Rumor Thread
« Reply #550 on: April 25, 2012, 11:27:01 AM »
Of course none of us want to go down that path because that is leading to mediocre basketball, but I trust that the fans and admin wouldn't let it go on more than 3 years. I think we've come far enough to this point that this is expected, but as long as Currie stays he will give his hire a fair shot as long as the program doesn't completely tank. If that makes you more frustrated, so be it, but that's where we are at.

The fans and admin have convinced themselves that a coach that SMU interviewed and turned down was a decent hire so I see no reason why the gradual downward slide of expectations will stop any time soon.

Link?

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2012/03/source-smu-interviews-oscar-weber.html

so maybe I stretched the truth a bit. They just waited until 18 days after firing Doherty to interview oscar. I'm sure he was their first choice, though.

i'd seen it brought up multiple times, just making sure i didn't miss anything. Their whole hiring process has been a crap show.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: April 25, 2012, 11:29:32 AM »
Does anyone think Frank would've topped himself in those three categories over a second five years? :dunno:

Absolutely. He might not have gone better than Elite Eight, but I think everything else would have improved. I expect Weber to be worse in every category I listed.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: April 25, 2012, 11:31:17 AM »
Also, SMU's first choice was (LOL) Buzz Williams. Weber was probably #2 I'm guessing and they would've loved to have him.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: April 25, 2012, 11:31:38 AM »

To your "decent hire" point; I'd say less than 10% of K-State fans thought he was a decent hire when they heard about it. But a majority have since said they're willing to give him a chance. I don't see why that equates with going back to mediocre expectations. I mean the talk of burning things down and firing Currie was nice, but it was never realistic. I'm on record that if things go south quickly I'll be all for making a change quickly, I think most of our fanbase will be the same. I think if Currie is still here he'll be the same, because if the resume talking point is remotely accurate, he won't want to sit on below average success at K-State with a coach he hired.

+1. 

my standard is NCAA 2/3 and top 4/5 in conference.  If Weber can't pull this off in the first 3 years, he should be gone and Currie too. 

Frank leaving sucked.  But, moving forward, I'm willing to wait and see if Weber can pull off the above criteria. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: April 25, 2012, 11:35:29 AM »
To your "decent hire" point; I'd say less than 10% of K-State fans thought he was a decent hire when they heard about it. But a majority have since said they're willing to give him a chance. I don't see why that equates with going back to mediocre expectations.

It's a symptom that points to lowered expectations syndrome.

I'm on record that if things go south quickly I'll be all for making a change quickly, I think most of our fanbase will be the same. I think if Currie is still here he'll be the same, because if the resume talking point is remotely accurate, he won't want to sit on below average success at K-State with a coach he hired.

The thing is, I have little doubt that things won't go south quickly. It will be nice and gradual.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: April 25, 2012, 11:37:38 AM »
Does anyone think Frank would've topped himself in those three categories over a second five years? :dunno:

Yes, he would of topped it. 

I think Frank was set up to have a real nice run with Angel, 12-13 would have been similar to 09-10, a small step back with 13-14 and another great run with Angel as a senior in 14-15.  Last two are tougher to project, but I think between his So FL connections still feeding him players and his national image only increasing over that time he would at least put together tournament teams when Angel was gone.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: April 25, 2012, 11:37:54 AM »
I think Weber sucks and we should fire him today for the sole reason that I think he sucks and will continue to suck.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: April 25, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »
if we have another run like wooly's, the football team is kicking major ass.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: April 25, 2012, 11:41:02 AM »
if we have another run like wooly's, the football team is kicking major ass.

The FB team is def the big winner here. 

Offline yosh

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: April 25, 2012, 11:41:33 AM »

Absolutely. He might not have gone better than Elite Eight, but I think everything else would have improved. I expect Weber to be worse in every category I listed.

I don't know.  He never had a team that didn't feature a 'te recruit as its best player.  I don't think he would been better, though, again, wouldn't have shocked me. 

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Assistant Coach Rumor Thread
« Reply #560 on: April 25, 2012, 11:49:29 AM »

I don't know.  He never had a team that didn't feature a 'te recruit as its best player.  I don't think he would been better, though, again, wouldn't have shocked me.

Angel was well on his way to being a fine "best player." I also think the staff made several recruiting mistakes in the 08, 09, and 10 classes that didn't seem to pop up in the 11 and 12 classes. He also had a successful track record built up that he obviously lacked while recruiting those early classes.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #561 on: April 25, 2012, 11:49:45 AM »
Getting 4 star players (plural) to Blacksburg is pretty good recruiting.

Not really.

if you can't get goEMAW to agree with you...you won't get mike decoursey.

panj is like a mini Mike DeCoursey

I'd like to think that my expectations for our program (and other programs) are somewhat in line with reality.

That's not always the case, but I think it's in the ball park.

For a program with eight NCAA tournament appearances in their history, with only one S16 and one E8 run (both back in the 60's), while recruiting to a rural football school in Southwest Virginia (who could care less about basketball), to get four Top 100 players in the past two years is pretty good.

But, hey, I'm crazy for thinking that.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #562 on: April 25, 2012, 11:57:36 AM »

I don't know if Frank would have gotten "better".  I think where he was is where he was ultimately going to stay given how he ran his program.  We had reached stasis.

Perpetually young teams, constantly shifting recruiting spots and AAU connections because of burnt bridges, and the lack of urgency in winning regular season games/titles (and pushing the focus to March) means that we'd probably just hover where we were.  Which, obviously, wasn't bad.  But if you wanted more, I don't think Frank was going to turn some corner and really ramp up.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: April 25, 2012, 12:46:02 PM »
I think you should revise to clarify "postseason".  I mean, if we go NIT'ing or CBI'ing every yr for the next 5, w/ no NCAA'ing, and do the rest of what you listed, I would be pissed.

I did, that's why I said at least 3 NCAAs. If he has no NCAAs in the first 3 years he should be fired, let alone 5.

I'd lower 3 to 2. 

Probably, but I'm being realistic. He will feel plenty of pressure next year because of the talent he inherited, and if he only managed an NIT he would feel heat. But the admin would give him another year or two most likely. Then in year 2 if it tanked and he went 10-20, then you have to make a change. But if he's competitive and fields an NIT team again in year 2, then he'll get the third year. Granted, none of us want that to happen and (I hope) the majority of fans would be ticked, but he'd certainly get 3 years under that scenario IMO.

Of course none of us want to go down that path because that is leading to mediocre basketball, but I trust that the fans and admin wouldn't let it go on more than 3 years. I think we've come far enough to this point that this is expected, but as long as Currie stays he will give his hire a fair shot as long as the program doesn't completely tank. If that makes you more frustrated, so be it, but that's where we are at.

what is your basis for believing that admin and fans would not put up with mediocre basketball for more than 3 years?

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: April 25, 2012, 12:46:38 PM »
During the Elite 8 run was Denis our best player?

Was Denis a Frank recruit?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: April 25, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »
what is your basis for believing that admin and fans would not put up with mediocre basketball for more than 3 years?

We know what good basketball is like again. And I don't think as many people will look away to football, not that I expect football to reach the heights it was when mediocre basketball became accepted. To think that K-State or its fans would accept a repeat of what Wooly did is absurd to me.

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: April 25, 2012, 01:00:00 PM »
LOL at anyone talking about the next 5 years with Frank....he had filled his nest with crap. 

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: April 25, 2012, 01:03:41 PM »
LOL at anyone talking about the next 5 years with Frank....he had filled his nest with crap. 

NOBODY IS TALKING ABOUT OR CARING ABOUT FRANK!

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: April 25, 2012, 01:04:59 PM »

We know what good basketball is like again. And I don't think as many people will look away to football, not that I expect football to reach the heights it was when mediocre basketball became accepted. To think that K-State or its fans would accept a repeat of what Wooly did is absurd to me.

If football is rolling again, they won't give a crap about what basketball is doing.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: April 25, 2012, 01:05:16 PM »

Yes they are. oscar's standard will be Frank. It is what it is.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: April 25, 2012, 01:05:51 PM »

everyone is talking about and caring about Frank followed by the angry face is what you meant to post. 

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 25, 2012, 01:07:31 PM »
A standard is set irregardless of who the coach is.  The standard should be .500 in off years and top 4 during good years.  i'd say top 4 finishes 3 out of 5 years and top half finishes every year should be standard here.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 25, 2012, 01:08:59 PM »
A standard is set irregardless of who the coach is.  The standard should be .500 in off years and top 4 during good years.  i'd say top 4 finishes 3 out of 5 years and top half finishes every year should be standard here.

everyone has different standards.  99% of our fanbase's standard is going to be how Frank had performed and how they think he would have performed going forward. 

Offline Fuktard

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 25, 2012, 01:09:41 PM »

LOL...blind?  or just choosing to ignore?   ....Frank mentioned 15 times in the 20 posts on this page.

btw, "irregardless" is not a word....discuss

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 25, 2012, 01:10:04 PM »

everyone has different standards.  99% of our fanbase's standard is going to be how Frank had performed and how they think he would have performed going forward. 

Well that's effing stupid and all you retards who think this way deserve to be miserable going forward.