Author Topic: Jevon Thomas  (Read 5969 times)

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Jevon Thomas
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2014, 10:57:00 PM »
He's just a young kid trying to make up for lost time. Eventually he will stop pressing his game so much, and we will all marvel at how lucky we are to have him.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 12:01:14 AM »
He's an important contributor and will be very good for us in the future, but he is terrible at shooting and Nigel still deserves minutes.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 12:05:16 AM »
All the #bitd'rs are going to be red in the face by the time this season is done.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 12:54:04 AM »
The biggest concern is free throws because he's reached a point where he can't be in at the end in close games.

In time, I think this, too, will pass. He'll be OK at the line.

Not this season

He's just a young kid trying to make up for lost time. Eventually he will stop pressing his game so much, and we will all marvel at how lucky we are to have him.

Man he just can't shoot, he'll obviously get better but I don't think we will ever rely on him for his shooting prowess. I think the percentage goals for him be for he graduates should be around 51%/33%/62%

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 01:07:04 AM »
Wasn't Barkley that left early (foolishly) from St. Johns a good pg but not a good shooter? St. Johns is in NY. Jevon Thomas will be Barkley if Barkley stayed 4 years.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2014, 01:53:31 AM »
The biggest concern is free throws because he's reached a point where he can't be in at the end in close games.

Not this season

Man he just can't shoot, he'll obviously get better but I don't think we will ever rely on him for his shooting prowess. I think the percentage goals for him be for he graduates should be around 51%/33%/62%

I don't think he will ever be an above average shooter, like you said, if he could get to average then that would be great. He could be a great facilitator though. Once the game slows down for him, then his ability to distribute will outweigh his inability to be a sharpshooter. Just my  :th_twocents:
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2014, 07:29:13 AM »
dave armstrong called him "THE PASS MASTER!" during our game. enjoyed it.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 07:53:58 AM »
As a point guard I like what he does and I like that he has the ability to get by people and to the lane/rim. He's going to get better at shooting.

Last night he only had 3 TOs, but a couple were forced and bad decisions, especially the one late in the game.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2014, 08:08:18 AM »
As a point guard I like what he does and I like that he has the ability to get by people and to the lane/rim. He's going to get better at shooting.

Last night he only had 3 TOs, but a couple were forced and bad decisions, especially the one late in the game.

It's a catch-22.  Gotta love a PG that gets to the rim.  he does it exceptionally well.  But, the percentage of those drives that turn into points is very low.  He routinely misses wide open layups and, when he does initiate contact, he is abysmal at the FT line.  Essentially, these are turnovers.  maybe it would be better for the team if he didn't take it to the rim.   

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2014, 08:25:07 AM »
Wait til next year when he becomes the best point guard in the history of forever

^ This

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 08:26:36 AM »

Not this season

This.

Offline ydarg2012

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • Snyder 4 President
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 08:27:18 AM »

It's a catch-22.  Gotta love a PG that gets to the rim.  he does it exceptionally well.  But, the percentage of those drives that turn into points is very low.  He routinely misses wide open layups and, when he does initiate contact, he is abysmal at the FT line.  Essentially, these are turnovers.  maybe it would be better for the team if he didn't take it to the rim.   

Though taking it at big guys to get them fouls might help us when we are at a size disadvantage.  Drawing fouls also helps us get into a bonus for our better free throw shooters.  So. . .much better than a turnover.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2014, 08:43:54 AM »
thomas is the true pg that doesn't exist.  i know people aren't bitching about him but people shouldn't be bitching about him.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2014, 08:48:22 AM »
we've needed a JT for so long.  good grief.  he makes his teammates better.  he'll get better at finishing just like pullen did.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2014, 08:52:50 AM »

Nope. He needs to take it to the rim even more, if possible.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2014, 09:02:10 AM »
Look, he obvs needs to take it to the rim.  yes, he draws fouls and creates for his teammates.  saying he shouldn't penetrate was mostly hyperbole.  but, man, you gotta hit your open layups and not be embarrasingly terrible at the FT line. 

yes.  he will improve.  on this we can all agree.  But, at the same time, we can all agree that he must improve because, right now, he's rough ridin' terrible at scoring.  you can't be shooting 27%(FG) when the vast majority of your shots are layups.  32% (FT) is mind boggling.   

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2014, 09:30:58 AM »
Look, he obvs needs to take it to the rim.  yes, he draws fouls and creates for his teammates.  saying he shouldn't penetrate was mostly hyperbole.  but, man, you gotta hit your open layups and not be embarrasingly terrible at the FT line. 

yes.  he will improve.  on this we can all agree.  But, at the same time, we can all agree that he must improve because, right now, he's rough ridin' terrible at scoring.  you can't be shooting 27%(FG) when the vast majority of your shots are layups.  32% (FT) is mind boggling.   

pretty terrible post, take notes youngsters

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 09:43:28 AM »

pretty terrible post, take notes youngsters

which part?  TIA

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2014, 10:17:40 AM »

Season       G    FG  FGA    FG%    2P    2PA    2P%    3P    3PA    3P%    FT    FTA    FT%    TRB    AST    STL    BLK    PTS
2001-02    37    2.5    6.1    .404    2.1    4.9    .433    0.4    1.2    .289    1.9    2.4    .793    2.7    6.8    1.6    0.1    7.1
2002-03    38    3.1    7.7    .408    2.5    5.1    .490    0.6    2.6    .245    2.1    2.7    .750    3.3    6.4    2.4    0.2    8.9
2003-04    33    3.0    7.5    .402    2.2    5.0    .436    0.8    2.5    .333    2.2    3.1    .699    3.8    7.3    1.9    0.1    9.1
2004-05    30    2.9    6.3    .457    1.5    3.6    .426    1.3    2.7    .500    2.2    2.8    .788    3.5    7.2    1.7    0.3    9.3

In my head, I was hoping for Aaron Miles, but I apparently misremembered Miles as a bad FT shooter.
:adios:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2014, 10:27:06 AM »
WOULD TAKE!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2014, 10:27:49 AM »
His FT shooting is really unimaginably bad. Looking back the last 10 or so years we've only had 2 guys shoot in the 30% range, Lou and Freddy. And currently Jevon is shooting worse than those 2 guys ever did in a season.

That said, I think its likely he'll end up shooting in the upper 40% range at worst.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2014, 10:29:56 AM »
_Fan, I thought it might be the shakes at first when it came to FT's. Big scene and all, but it's not going away. I wonder how he was in High School? You'd think if you couldn't practice for a whole semester, you'd shoot like a million FT's in that time.  :frown:

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2014, 10:37:50 AM »
_Fan, I thought it might be the shakes at first when it came to FT's. Big scene and all, but it's not going away. I wonder how he was in High School? You'd think if you couldn't practice for a whole semester, you'd shoot like a million FT's in that time.  :frown:

It's mental.  He has a decent looking shot.  hopefully he figures it out soon, b/c I imagine we're going to continue finding ourselves in close ball games.  In crunch time, a PG who can't shoot FTs is a killer.     

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2014, 10:39:30 AM »
Jevon has a historically bad EFG. He's currently at 29.1% - the worst for a K-State player in the Kenpom era. He should catch sophomore Chris Merriewhether, who shot 29.4% and is the only other player we've had under 30%.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2014, 02:22:00 PM »
Jevon is going to be a star. He'll shoot better than low 30s eventually. Wouldn't surprise me if he isn't a better shooter until his JR year though. At this point you push him to keep getting to the rim until someone can stop him. So athletic, great burst.

His assist to turnover ratio is out of sight! :love: