Author Topic: 202x Coaching Carousel  (Read 89613 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 202x Coaching Carousel
« Reply #400 on: November 29, 2021, 03:43:34 PM »
I felt like Skylar hasn't improved enough in some of his weakest areas (pocket awareness/reading progressions) since he's been here.

Yeah, right are wrong, these are very much not the sorts of things I think of when I think of Klein. I think of read option.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 29, 2021, 03:46:42 PM »
Of course they do, but I don't think any one saying Klein should go knows what progression looks like or what the expectations of the head coach is and what the HC and OC are doing to set the QB coach up for success.

I felt like Skylar hasn't improved enough in some of his weakest areas (pocket awareness/reading progressions) since he's been here.  I also don't think that Howard has developed at all so far, which is disappointing given how many starts he's had.  I get that Skylar has been banged up but he's also been here 6 years.  Howard is still young but that's a lot of starts.

I'm not saying Klein should definitely be gone but I think if he wasn't our former QB, he'd face a lot more scrutiny.

I don't know what our passing trees and reads are so I can't comment on his progressions.

As for Howard, number of starts shouldn't be used to judge his progressions. He's only had one spring and summer in the program. This year he has only spent 2 weeks getting #1 reps in practice. He's very young in his experience in the program. That being said, I will still ask what is the expectation of his progression and how do we judge it? We know he has a pretty low floor, what's the ceiling?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 29, 2021, 03:54:02 PM »
I’m not sure I’ve scrutinized a qb coach anywhere. If anything Klein is getting extra scrutiny here because people actually know who he is.

QB coaches are second only to the OC when it comes to fan criticism

Offline wiley

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 29, 2021, 03:57:06 PM »
I’m not sure I’ve scrutinized a qb coach anywhere. If anything Klein is getting extra scrutiny here because people actually know who he is.

QB coaches are second only to the OC when it comes to fan criticism
I feel like OL coaches get way more grief when they are bad.
it's easy to be emaw when EMAW is at your doorstep - FFF

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 29, 2021, 03:57:20 PM »

Yep

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 29, 2021, 04:02:11 PM »
Of course they do, but I don't think any one saying Klein should go knows what progression looks like or what the expectations of the head coach is and what the HC and OC are doing to set the QB coach up for success.

I felt like Skylar hasn't improved enough in some of his weakest areas (pocket awareness/reading progressions) since he's been here.  I also don't think that Howard has developed at all so far, which is disappointing given how many starts he's had.  I get that Skylar has been banged up but he's also been here 6 years.  Howard is still young but that's a lot of starts.

I'm not saying Klein should definitely be gone but I think if he wasn't our former QB, he'd face a lot more scrutiny.

I don't know what our passing trees and reads are so I can't comment on his progressions.

As for Howard, number of starts shouldn't be used to judge his progressions. He's only had one spring and summer in the program. This year he has only spent 2 weeks getting #1 reps in practice. He's very young in his experience in the program. That being said, I will still ask what is the expectation of his progression and how do we judge it? We know he has a pretty low floor, what's the ceiling?

I certainly don't know the route tree but my impression is that Skylar looks to one side of the field and largely stays there.  If he doesn't get the ball out within the first couple of seconds, he isn't going to get it out from the pocket, even if he has time.  I get Howard is young, but I would've liked to see a better TD/TO ratio this year.  He seems intent to chuck a lot of balls deep whether they're open or not.  Fortunately, a lot of those throws haven't been close enough to get intercepted.  I get building confidence to some extent, but the way they talked about him going into the year would make you think they're awfully proud of his improvement.

Maybe Klein is doing a fine job and Messingham is largely to blame.  I just think the fanbase is okay hating Messingham but I've seen a lot defending Klein blindly.  My take isn't that Klein needs to be fired, but that everybody on the offensive staff should be considered.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 29, 2021, 04:04:55 PM »

Did you watch Blake Shapen against us when Baylor’s QB got knocked out?  He’s had exact same time in the program at Baylor that Will has had here and looked like a world beater compared to him.  Maybe Will was a mis evaluation and doesn’t belong at this level but he can’t even make the basic throws right now and it’s very concerning.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 29, 2021, 04:12:57 PM »

Did you watch Blake Shapen against us when Baylor’s QB got knocked out?  He’s had exact same time in the program at Baylor that Will has had here and looked like a world beater compared to him.  Maybe Will was a mis evaluation and doesn’t belong at this level but he can’t even make the basic throws right now and it’s very concerning.
It takes at least 6 - 7 years to become functional in our system.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 29, 2021, 04:17:05 PM »
I still can't get over how Klieman got three NFL qbs in a row at NDSU and ended up with Howard and a 4-star who is fifth string

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 29, 2021, 04:33:11 PM »

I certainly don't know the route tree but my impression is that Skylar looks to one side of the field and largely stays there.  If he doesn't get the ball out within the first couple of seconds, he isn't going to get it out from the pocket, even if he has time.  I get Howard is young, but I would've liked to see a better TD/TO ratio this year. He seems intent to chuck a lot of balls deep whether they're open or not.  Fortunately, a lot of those throws haven't been close enough to get intercepted.  I get building confidence to some extent, but the way they talked about him going into the year would make you think they're awfully proud of his improvement.

Maybe Klein is doing a fine job and Messingham is largely to blame.  I just think the fanbase is okay hating Messingham but I've seen a lot defending Klein blindly.  My take isn't that Klein needs to be fired, but that everybody on the offensive staff should be considered.

I'm not sure if that is his call or that play calling but it infuriates me honestly we how quickly we get out of the quick short passes/dink and dunk (that I know many here don't love) but honestly it's the best goddamn way to build confidence in a young QB is to get easy, short throws with a lot of success rate, instead of trying to go vertical all the time.

That being said, we did do an awful job of blocking on bubble screens, so probably not the best throw to do either.

A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 29, 2021, 05:00:48 PM »

I literally made the exact same comp in another one of these posts in another thread. I don't know how you would look at those two players and think any quarterback coach, in the history of the sport, can make Howard as effective as Shapen. They were both 3 stars but there is a grand canyon difference in talent between those two players, but nearly every single person calling for Klein's job will look at Shapen and say "see that guy is better than Will and he's a baseball player." It's ignorant, it's like saying a great acting coach can turn David Spade into Bradley Cooper

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 29, 2021, 05:06:03 PM »
MIR didn't watch BIP.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 29, 2021, 05:08:49 PM »
the exact same comp in another one of these posts in another thread. I don't know how you would look at those two players and think any quarterback coach, in the history of the sport, can make Howard as effective as Shapen. They were both 3 stars but there is a grand canyon difference in talent between those two players, but nearly every single person calling for Klein's job will look at Shapen and say "see that guy is better than Will and he's a baseball player." It's ignorant, it's like saying a great acting coach can turn David Spade into Bradley Cooper

what role did Klein have in Howard's evaluation during recruitment? (I don't know the full extent, but it seems like it should also be an important part of a QB coach's job)

also kind of wild that the entire industry rated them so similarly.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 29, 2021, 05:35:22 PM »
Also this is so crazy to me. It has to be a lie, right?

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1465463983243100160

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 29, 2021, 05:38:09 PM »

Of course it is.

It’s been well documented that Lincoln went ‘missing’ for several days during their bye week before Baylor, and he never gave a straight answer. Everyone down here assumed LSU, but obviously he was in LA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 29, 2021, 05:39:30 PM »

Of course it is.

It’s been well documented that Lincoln went ‘missing’ for several days during their bye week before Baylor, and he never gave a straight answer. Everyone down here assumed LSU, but obviously he was in LA

Well I don't believe that, either

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 29, 2021, 05:40:53 PM »

Yeah, no way that is true but I understand why he said that.

It might have been the first time Riley actually spoke to USC himself but I'm sure he laid out all his conditions to his agent who had been talking to USC for a while.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: November 29, 2021, 05:54:24 PM »

I literally made the exact same comp in another one of these posts in another thread. I don't know how you would look at those two players and think any quarterback coach, in the history of the sport, can make Howard as effective as Shapen. They were both 3 stars but there is a grand canyon difference in talent between those two players, but nearly every single person calling for Klein's job will look at Shapen and say "see that guy is better than Will and he's a baseball player." It's ignorant, it's like saying a great acting coach can turn David Spade into Bradley Cooper

Then Klein is a poor evaluator of talent / poor recruiter.     

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 29, 2021, 05:59:51 PM »
Klein got outrecruited by Baylor is your headline here?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: November 29, 2021, 06:02:07 PM »

Then Klein is a poor evaluator of talent / poor recruiter.   

Very possible, but offers don't get made without the head coach approving them. Given Howard's talking about Carson Wentz's influence on his recruitment and this off season Klieman calling Howard the best backup in college football, I think we have enough evidence of Howard's recruitment being one that the head coach was very high on.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: November 29, 2021, 06:03:04 PM »
Kelly to LSU is the latest rumor. How quick would Campbell pack his bag and jump on a plane to ND if they had to reach that low?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: November 29, 2021, 06:10:18 PM »
Kelly to LSU is the latest rumor. How quick would Campbell pack his bag and jump on a plane to ND if they had to reach that low?

I think they would offer that job to Luke Fickell before Matt Campbell

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 29, 2021, 06:27:54 PM »
I'll eat dlew's hat if Brian Kelly goes to LSU. What are we even talking about there? Why in the hell would he do that?

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: November 29, 2021, 06:56:15 PM »
Get that hat ready