Author Topic: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread  (Read 105984 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Terrible KSU Coaching Decisions Thread
« Reply #175 on: September 19, 2017, 11:43:37 PM »
Our backs carried the ball 11 times for 75 yards.  6.8 YPC. 

that stat surprised me so much i had to look it up to confirm. 7 of Barnes' carries went for 17 total yards, but overall it was still a good average.
Another surprising stat: 18 of Ertz's pass attempts went for 0 yards.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 20, 2017, 10:56:02 AM »
The only play I enjoyed at all was when the line pushed the pile for an extra like 15 yds or w/e.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 20, 2017, 11:15:35 AM »
game was probably on too late in the morning for mich
I went to dinner before the Jason Isbell show! Someone gave me a hit of too-strong marijuana  and Isbell made me cry.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 20, 2017, 12:33:45 PM »
Jason Isbell, too strong marijuana, and tears. That sounds about right. I think pussies like Alex Smith have it on their pregame playlist, minus the too strong marijuana.

As for the game:

1 - We were out-coached, that is obvious. The coaching is a constant, at least within any season for the most part. Although I would've liked to see more of a short passing game, slants, etc. Playcalling can be tweaked as most of you are saying.

2 - Dropped passes. If I am blaming one thing on this loss, an incredibly stupid exercise that I'll participate in because messsage boards, it has to be the dropped balls. We had no rhythm. A lack of it will eff with any QB, but Ertz, to me, seems particularly affected by it. I don't seem to recall Roberson or Klein or Bishop or Waters (there are probably more)  being as impacted by it. Maybe turning Ertz into Klein battering ram part 2 is what mumped with him in Nashville though. Plus Vandy was pretty physical.

3 - The Vandy defense looked pretty good to me. Could see them lose many 13-10 SEC slug fests because their offense was pretty shitty.

4 - Our defense is one of the top 3 in the conference. If we can solve some of these offensive issues, even just a little, I still maintain we lose no more than 2 games in conference.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 20, 2017, 12:40:25 PM »
Jason Isbell, too strong marijuana, and tears. That sounds about right. I think pussies like Alex Smith have it on their pregame playlist, minus the too strong marijuana.

As for the game:

1 - We were out-coached, that is obvious. The coaching is a constant, at least within any season for the most part. Although I would've liked to see more of a short passing game, slants, etc. Playcalling can be tweaked as most of you are saying.

2 - Dropped passes. If I am blaming one thing on this loss, an incredibly stupid exercise that I'll participate in because messsage boards, it has to be the dropped balls. We had no rhythm. A lack of it will eff with any QB, but Ertz, to me, seems particularly affected by it. I don't seem to recall Roberson or Klein or Bishop or Waters (there are probably more)  being as impacted by it. Maybe turning Ertz into Klein battering ram part 2 is what mumped with him in Nashville though. Plus Vandy was pretty physical.

3 - The Vandy defense looked pretty good to me. Could see them lose many 13-10 SEC slug fests because their offense was pretty shitty.

4 - Our defense is one of the top 3 in the conference. If we can solve some of these offensive issues, even just a little, I still maintain we lose no more than 2 games in conference.

Good stuff, and I agree with all of that.

When I look at the Vandy defense the biggest issue I see is that it might be more suited for the Big 12. Mason has a nice collection of athletic defenders and they do a great job of changing their fronts. As the game went a long Mason was able to add a player or a player "and a half" to the box, which took away QB run. We were able to still get some creases with off tackle power and speed option, but clearly our coaches thought the best counter to the stacked box was throwing and it didn't work. Snyder's comments about the issues in the passing game and being fairly happy with the running game would indicate the staff's post game break down was more disappointed in passing game execution than anything. That said, the success we eventually had with a few power run plays to the RB despite Vandy's stacked box doesn't bode well for the SEC. They are going to see many more offenses with big olines and downhill running attacks that will exploit their lack of size in the front 7. Bama will lean on them up front and likely be able to run through that defense and other SEC offenses will try to that as well.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: September 20, 2017, 12:55:49 PM »
Also, the success Ertz and the passing game had in the first two games (especially game 1) may have built a bit of a sense of false confidence in our ability to beat a stacked box with the passing game. Last year we didn't trust the passing game and were forced to get creative in the running game. Down the stretch we ran on people no matter how many they put in the box. But alas, Dimel (with Snyder's advice) is always seeking to be "balanced" and they probably believe (or believed) to be an elite team this year they had to be able to throw as a counter to a stacked box. So instead of trusting the run and sticking with it after success runs from Silmon and a couple big play speed option runs, they went back to throwing The insistence on balance and being able to throw eventually cost them with the 2 TOs and only 7 points.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 20, 2017, 03:26:35 PM »
Also, the success Ertz and the passing game had in the first two games (especially game 1) may have built a bit of a sense of false confidence in our ability to beat a stacked box with the passing game. Last year we didn't trust the passing game and were forced to get creative in the running game. Down the stretch we ran on people no matter how many they put in the box. But alas, Dimel (with Snyder's advice) is always seeking to be "balanced" and they probably believe (or believed) to be an elite team this year they had to be able to throw as a counter to a stacked box. So instead of trusting the run and sticking with it after success runs from Silmon and a couple big play speed option runs, they went back to throwing The insistence on balance and being able to throw eventually cost them with the 2 TOs and only 7 points.

There were some pretty terrible passes by Ertz, but if we catch those that were dropped it may just open it up enough for us to win that game by a FG or something. I mean it was a poor overall performance by the offense, but we were the better team, and this was one of those games that better teams sometimes lose to inferior opponents on the road -- 2 TDs called back, Ertz seemingly throwing balls over heads at times, receivers dropping balls. I don't see any of these as problems that will be consistently bad during the season. I don't recall off the top of my head, but I suspect some KSU teams that were very successful had games like this and maybe they pulled it out and won by a few points, so we don't think of them as disastrous, but they were very similar performances to what we saw at Vandy I suspect.

And on the SEC line point...this weekend we'll see the ultimate test for Vandy, but I still think, given the lack of passing ability from most SEC offenses, that Vandy holds their own on that side of the ball. Bama is an outlier that probably won't go well, but they can definitely play with every team in the SEC East. Maybe their offense will just be crap and they still only get to 7 wins, who knows.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 20, 2017, 03:29:43 PM »
i did not feel like we were the better team on saturday, which has been the most depressing thing imo

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 20, 2017, 03:31:01 PM »
Wait did that guy call me a pussy? :sdeek:

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 20, 2017, 03:31:15 PM »
i did not feel like we were the better team on saturday, which has been the most depressing thing imo

That would be a depressing feeling.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2017, 03:32:23 PM »
Wait did that guy call me a pussy? :sdeek:

Not you personally, just the scene that you were a part of.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2017, 03:33:54 PM »
:dubious:

Offline delerioustyme

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 20, 2017, 05:25:30 PM »
2000 vs. OU, we had a ton of dropped passes that cost us the game.  OU went on to win the Natty that year. 

He trippin' so much, fans gonna begin to think he done fell off!

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 20, 2017, 05:28:19 PM »
It's okay clevey, call cRusty a pussy. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 20, 2017, 06:39:21 PM »

I felt we were much better. Honestly.

The points about 2 TDs called back and drops is enough. Vandy did not have nearly the same amount of missed opportunities and bad breaks. I was most impressed by Vandy's secondary, but that's it. I thought we were just as athletic and physical. The difference was the more disciplined team that eliminated mistakes won and it wasn't us. That's an outlier game for K-State football.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #190 on: September 20, 2017, 06:45:37 PM »
Sounds familiar.  Like how opponents talked after losing to KSU.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 20, 2017, 06:55:49 PM »
Yes. Until I see it regularly from opponents I won't expect it.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 20, 2017, 08:06:45 PM »

The points about 2 TDs called back and drops is enough. Vandy did not have nearly the same amount of missed opportunities and bad breaks. I was most impressed by Vandy's secondary, but that's it. I thought we were just as athletic and physical. The difference was the more disciplined team that eliminated mistakes won and it wasn't us. That's an outlier game for K-State football.

100% agree
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #193 on: September 20, 2017, 08:25:18 PM »

Agree we were the better team. We left 17 points on the board and gave back about a hundred yards of offense to inconsequential penalties.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 20, 2017, 08:26:31 PM »
Also, Vandy was better on special teams. Huge outlier.

Not an outlier, the big12 ref crew was an unmitigated disaster.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 20, 2017, 08:29:39 PM »
Coaching eff up: running max protect passing playes against 4 man rushes. At least mix in a screen pass or draw play. So much WTF

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 20, 2017, 08:33:03 PM »
I think our last screen was Ell to Sproles in the 03 Big 12 title game.

Dimel isn't and hasn't been a screen guy. I don't remember one since he's run the offense during 2.0.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 20, 2017, 09:05:35 PM »
wasn't ertz' first INT (i think it was the first, the one where he threw left to pringle) a tunnel screen?

The Big Train

« Reply #198 on: September 20, 2017, 09:13:10 PM »
I think our last screen was Ell to Sproles in the 03 Big 12 title game.

Dimel isn't and hasn't been a screen guy. I don't remember one since he's run the offense during 2.0.

I think enough time has passed that it would probably go for a very big play now.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile