Author Topic: Shockers  (Read 94111 times)

catzacker

Re: Shockers
« Reply #325 on: February 23, 2014, 09:47:48 AM »
i could be wrong but i don't think most people look at the strength of schedule thing in a way that i think is most important.  at this point in the season, the biggest issue w/ SoS is the cumulative effect (or lack thereof) that playing shitty teams all season has on a team, not the singular event of playing a shitty team on a random tuesday night.  the opposite is true of those teams playing in tougher conferences.  i know it's obvious but i'm not sure people really consider it a whole lot when having these discussions.

Seems like there are examples on both sides of that - #2 Missouri losing in the 2nd round and of course KU losing in the 2nd or 3rd round after playing in the Big 12.

The biggest difference b/t WSU's schedule last year and this year, is not playing Creighton 3x.  Three games against Creighton, who lost their 2nd NCAA game, will make all of the difference?

Florida Gulf Coast last year smoking #2 Georgetown after playing in the Atlantic Sun.

past tourney performance should have no bearing on current tourney seeding.  what you earn/do in this season should be the only thing evaluated.   

Offline PvtLamb

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 23, 2014, 09:54:39 AM »

past tourney performance should have no bearing on current tourney seeding.  what you earn/do in this season should be the only thing evaluated.

Of course.   I was responding to the thought that the cumulative effect of playing weak teams in the regular season doesn't prepare a team for the NCAA tournament.   There are facts on both sides of that, so I am not sure you can draw a firm conclusion. 

catzacker

« Reply #327 on: February 23, 2014, 09:58:31 AM »

Of course.   I was responding to the thought that the cumulative effect of playing weak teams in the regular season doesn't prepare a team for the NCAA tournament.   There are facts on both sides of that, so I am not sure you can draw a firm conclusion.

I think clams point was in regards to how you would evaluate the "merits" of a team in a shitty conference (and their resulting unblemished record) vs. a team in a tough conference (that has some losses) in order to determine their seeding. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Shockers
« Reply #333 on: February 23, 2014, 01:09:29 PM »
Is Tina Turner  a WSU alumna?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 01:43:01 PM by Spracne »

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: February 23, 2014, 05:08:43 PM »
I wish EMAWs weren't so butthurt over WSU's success. It makes the KU butthurt much less enjoyable.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: February 23, 2014, 05:14:50 PM »
Is Tina Turner  a WSU alumna?

muscly Tina Turner holding a Jayhawk and a purple fox.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: February 23, 2014, 06:00:13 PM »
I wish EMAWs weren't so butthurt over WSU's success. It makes the KU butthurt much less enjoyable.

Alright, I guess I'll stop painting this giant anti-WSU portrait I was in the middle of that was going to hang in Tubby's.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: February 25, 2014, 12:00:00 AM »
Gottlieb vs. Lutz today was fun.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: February 25, 2014, 12:35:12 AM »

Really surprised you didn't jump on that ample @ing opportunity.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 25, 2014, 12:42:59 AM »

They were mostly @'n each other by the time I was aware of it.

The interview's on here: http://gottlieb.radio.cbssports.com/audio/1730-doug-gottlieb-interviews/

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 25, 2014, 12:49:53 AM »

They were mostly @'n each other by the time I was aware of it.

The interview's on here: http://gottlieb.radio.cbssports.com/audio/1730-doug-gottlieb-interviews/

oscar n Bob are trying to get Doug on "Sports Daily" tomorrow morning.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 25, 2014, 01:01:07 AM »

go shox  :D
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline cork_sniffer

• Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 25, 2014, 07:20:20 AM »
BPI has the shockers at #7 which IMO is closer to reality.  They are a solid team with veteran and experienced players who haven't let a game slip against second rate competition.  They haven't played enough tournament teams though to give them the clout needed for a 1 seed in my book.  The committee shouldn't award them for playing a soft schedule and not losing, precisely the opposite: no 1 seed for super weak scheduling teams from horrible conferences regardless of record (set a precedent).  Marshall needs to get off his high horse and play some road games at major schools if he wants to avoid this in the future.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 25, 2014, 08:27:43 AM »
BPI has the shockers at #7 which IMO is closer to reality.  They are a solid team with veteran and experienced players who haven't let a game slip against second rate competition.  They haven't played enough tournament teams though to give them the clout needed for a 1 seed in my book.  The committee shouldn't award them for playing a soft schedule and not losing, precisely the opposite: no 1 seed for super weak scheduling teams from horrible conferences regardless of record (set a precedent).  Marshall needs to get off his high horse and play some road games at major schools if he wants to avoid this in the future.

the precedent has already been set, you go undefeated and you get a 1 seed.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #344 on: February 25, 2014, 08:32:38 PM »
Wackeycat just messed his shorts on that Ron Baker jam
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 26, 2014, 09:05:57 AM »
Got a pickle of a situation.   

While watching some of the WuShuck vs another sub .500 team game last night, I noticed 2 WuShuckers sitting in the endzone seats at the Bradley Arena, I believe it was at the Bradley bench end.  Every time the WuShucks on the floor would do something well, which was fairly often as WuShuck basketball is good and Bradley is a sub .500 team.   The two WuShuck fans in the end zone would stand up and taunt the crowd and/or turn and point up what seemed to be a contingent up WuShuck fans sitting in the nose bleeds. 

I am perplexed by my reaction, as my initial thought was that those two were a couple of dorks, but then I thought about that the fact that WuShuck hoops was going for 30 wins, but then I thought about how Bradley is pretty crappy and then I thought about why I would be concerned about the 2 WuShuck dorks at all . . .

Like I said, a pickle.   

Offline emawmason

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 26, 2014, 01:22:06 PM »
Wichita State is the best team in the state this year and it's really not even close. 

They have the better of the two Wiggins bros, Baker is a better shooter than anybody on our or ku's roster, Early is probably the best player to step foot in Kansas since Beasley and VanVleet is a very solid point guard...

Even though it'll be a rough year for the boys in purple, I'm glad to see baby bro having some success even if it rips the hearts out of lil bro to play second fiddle to an MVC team.

Are you serious? Early is the best player in Kansas since Beasley? Andrew Wiggins' brother is better than him? So many things wrong with that post. KU would win at least 8/10 times, for us the 'cats would probably go 5-5.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 26, 2014, 01:26:23 PM »
WSU vs ku in the tournament would be hilarious.  :crossfingers: :pray:

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 26, 2014, 01:31:29 PM »