Author Topic: Shockers  (Read 94129 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Re: Shockers
« Reply #275 on: February 20, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »
I'm sure it's been said on here, and fine with WSU being good, but I rough ridin' hate the Shock Squawks (Squawkers? Shawks? Shawkers? Shquawks? Wheat Squawkers?) hitting the social media hard. WSU grads that have always been diehard Squawk bball fans, posting nothing but KU basketball hayseed crap in previous years, but over the last year or so it's become a mix and they act like they're the biggest fans and so proud of both.

The most annoying and only, really, Shocker fan I know is this to a 'T'.  Constantly sending me unsolicited texts and FB messages out of the blue.  I finally asked him, "What happened to you being a huge KU fan?  Or is that only when the Shockers are irrelevant?"  He changed the subject to something about KSU fans being the worst or some such.  Honestly, he is the only reason I root against the Shockers, but I'm petty like that and don't have any real connection to or stake in the city of Wichita. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 20, 2014, 12:49:22 PM »
don't have any real connection to or stake in the city of Wichita. 

Neither does Wichita State.  It's that weird school in that one of many shitty quadrants of town. 

Offline 0.42

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pasghetti
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 20, 2014, 02:17:16 PM »
If Texas State ever becomes great at anything the UT/A&M fan - TXST grad hordes that will start acting like they've followed the 'Cats from day 1 are going to be rough ridin' unbearable.

we probably won't ever be great at anything tho :(

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 20, 2014, 02:26:26 PM »

If Texas State ever becomes great at anything the UT/A&M fan - TXST grad hordes that will start acting like they've followed the 'Cats from day 1 are going to be rough ridin' unbearable.

we probably won't ever be great at anything tho :(

:(

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 20, 2014, 03:44:31 PM »
so I live in central Iowa, not very far from Wichita and in the heart of the Missouri Valley Conference footprint, my SI today has Jabari Parker on the cover. Possibly the most limited regional cover ever, petty messed up of SI actually.

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 20, 2014, 03:56:30 PM »
Gottlieb angering up the mob on twitter  :Carl:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 20, 2014, 06:53:18 PM »

And everything he said was right.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 20, 2014, 07:04:16 PM »
Post the tweets.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 20, 2014, 07:28:05 PM »

Right or complete and total speculation based on his preconceived notions? It's a dumb conversation even dumber to be definitive on how he thinks WSU or anyone else would do in another conference. Did anyone ask him why he didn't have the same crusade against SDSU?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 20, 2014, 07:44:14 PM »

Right or complete and total speculation based on his preconceived notions? It's a dumb conversation even dumber to be definitive on how he thinks WSU or anyone else would do in another conference. Did anyone ask him why he didn't have the same crusade against SDSU?

SDSU?

They lost a game in November and another one a couple weeks ago. The most compelling thing about discussing WSU is that they are undefeated. Its a great discussion point that a lot of people are paying attention to right now. Every game they play now is discussed. It makes sense that Gottlieb would make a point to discuss it, its what he does. The record they might have in some other conference might be a side track, but its still something a lot people are going to discuss, especially on twitter.

Besides, SDSU beat KU in Lawrence. They also beat Creighton. So they have 2 wins much, much better than any WSU has so far.

However, WSU deserves a 1 seed IMO.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: February 20, 2014, 07:53:34 PM »

SDSU?

They lost a game in November and another one a couple weeks ago. The most compelling thing about discussing WSU is that they are undefeated. Its a great discussion point that a lot of people are paying attention to right now. Every game they play now is discussed. It makes sense that Gottlieb would make a point to discuss it, its what he does. The record they might have in some other conference might be a side track, but its still something a lot people are going to discuss, especially on twitter.

Besides, SDSU beat KU in Lawrence. They also beat Creighton. So they have 2 wins much, much better than any WSU has so far.

However, WSU deserves a 1 seed IMO.

he's high on SDSU because he's a homer, I'm pointing out inconsistencies with his argument. The one off win at KU is not an indicator that SDSU would win on the road with regularity if they were in the Big 12. The biggest reason why it is a dumb argument is that you could also make the same argument against Kentucky, Florida, Duke, and Arizona; they all play in conferences that don't have nearly the road tests that the Big 12 has this season. When in the hell did we decide the worthiness of a 1 seed should be based on how good their record would be in the best conference?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 20, 2014, 07:57:12 PM »
He picked the WSU discussion because they are undefeated and play in a bad conference. I assume he picked the Big 12 because he played at a Big 12 school. Also because the league is really good.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 20, 2014, 08:13:31 PM »
He picked the WSU discussion because they are undefeated and play in a bad conference. I assume he picked the Big 12 because he played at a Big 12 school. Also because the league is really good.

yeah :dunno: was there doubt about any of that

Yeah Florida, the defacto #1 team in the country is in a bad conference too, he isn't making the same case against Florida because his argument and anyone who makes the same isn't making a case against WSU, they are making a case against The Valley and that's dumb. Why is it so hard to say, "I have no idea how good WSU is but they have won all of their games and haven't done anything horrible like losing at home to Boston College or losing to Wyoming so lets make them a 1 seed and see how it goes." Making an absolute value judgment about them based on their schedule is simple, I know he's smart enough to understand this, so I'm guessing he doing his annual trolling/attention whoring like he has done in the past to Syracuse and Missouri.

catzacker

« Reply #288 on: February 20, 2014, 08:22:14 PM »

Yeah Florida, the defacto #1 team in the country is in a bad conference too, he isn't making the same case against Florida because his argument and anyone who makes the same isn't making a case against WSU, they are making a case against The Valley and that's dumb. Why is it so hard to say, "I have no idea how good WSU is but they have won all of their games and haven't done anything horrible like losing at home to Boston College or losing to Wyoming so lets make them a 1 seed and see how it goes." Making an absolute value judgment about them based on their schedule is simple, I know he's smart enough to understand this, so I'm guessing he doing his annual trolling/attention whoring like he has done in the past to Syracuse and Missouri.

yeah, it's times like these that I wish we had some kind of computerized system or "ranking" index or something, that we could use to help us make value judgments on teams.  Like, some kind of index that takes in to account several factors (like strength of schedule for example).  maybe in the future we get something like that.  it's kind of tough crap for everyone right now though.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 20, 2014, 08:25:41 PM »
Seems like whatever Gottlieb is doing its working because here you are arguing about it

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 20, 2014, 08:32:15 PM »

Why do I feel like your argument is "why would a sports talk show host (who played college basketball) choose to discuss one of the top 5 current talking points in college basketball right now".

And while Gottlieb is certainly being definitive, much more he is taking a side in a discussion and letting the discussion happen because of that. Lots of people listen to him on the radio and follow him on twitter.

Including you obviously.

I really don't care how he framed his point (and he probably doesn't either), but he's getting people to take sides and discuss the topic, which as you said, was his intent all along.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 20, 2014, 08:42:03 PM »
Its a really simple and hackneyed talking point, guess I expected him to take up a cause more nuanced and unexplored like how may Florida be helped by playing in a garbage conference.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 20, 2014, 08:52:53 PM »
Its a really simple and hackneyed talking point, guess I expected him to take up a cause more nuanced and unexplored like how may Florida be helped by playing in a garbage conference.

Why?

Most college fans care about how good Wichita State is right now. The undefeated thing in the regular season is a big deal. The discussion of "would Florida go undefeated in the MVC" simply isn't interesting for most people. Plus Florida still has 7 wins over Top 50 teams.

catzacker

« Reply #293 on: February 20, 2014, 08:58:15 PM »

isn't the valley, like, quantifiably easier than the SEC?  Like, leaps and bounds easier?  I think the Valley has 2 teams in the top 100. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 20, 2014, 09:20:26 PM »
Heard a shocker fan say that since Seff won't agree to play one in allen, one in sprint and one in intrust, that his shockers will just play ku in a parking lot.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 20, 2014, 09:21:26 PM »
I bet we'd meet them in front of Burge Union.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 20, 2014, 09:27:15 PM »

If I know anything I know that speculation has no place on twitter. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 20, 2014, 09:53:37 PM »

Why?

Most college fans care about how good Wichita State is right now. The undefeated thing in the regular season is a big deal. The discussion of "would Florida go undefeated in the MVC" simply isn't interesting for most people. Plus Florida still has 7 wins over Top 50 teams.

I think you are reading something different than what I'm saying re Florida.

My larger point isn't that we shouldn't be discussing whether or not we should be discussing how good Wichita State is. Speculating whether or not they would lose in Ames does not advance that discussion, nor would it for any other team in America. The discussion about every other team and their worthiness is revolves around who they put on the floor. Is it too much to ask that one of the preeminent voices in the sport move the conversation beyond what we would hear on Mike and Mike or some random local hacky sports talk show in Cleveland?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 20, 2014, 09:57:53 PM »

Why?

My larger point isn't that we shouldn't be discussing whether or not we should be discussing how good Wichita State is. Speculating whether or not they would lose in Ames does not advance that discussion, nor would it for any other team in America. The discussion about every other team and their worthiness is revolves around who they put on the floor. Is it too much to ask that one of the preeminent voices in the sport move the conversation beyond what we would hear on Mike and Mike or some random local hacky sports talk show in Cleveland?

Perhaps, but via Twitter it seemed to make some sense for sparking discussion/interest.

That said, Doug did take his Ray Rice tweet a bit too far just a bit ago. Woof.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 20, 2014, 10:09:02 PM »

Why?

It's just sports so I think discussing whatever you want is fine.  I could be wrong though because I have no clue what you guys are talking about.