Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 933720 times)

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #3325 on: March 27, 2013, 07:10:08 AM »
Zagsblog saying it's likely Gottfried to UCLA now.  NC State has a stud 2013 class.  Feeding frenzy if he leaves.     
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3326 on: March 27, 2013, 07:29:52 AM »
Why isn't UCLA interested in Bill Self?

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #3327 on: March 27, 2013, 07:55:25 AM »
Oakland for the most part is nice, in fact Downtown Oakland has some nice parts, especially on the waterfront.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3328 on: March 27, 2013, 08:01:19 AM »

UCLA prides it's self on the high quality pros it produces.  No dream crushing monsters for them

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3329 on: March 27, 2013, 08:49:23 AM »

Probably because they know it would be a waste of time to try and hire him.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3330 on: March 27, 2013, 08:55:54 AM »
oakland isn't what people think oakland is.  richmond is maybe what people think oakland is.

i haven't lived in oakland, but it appears crime & poverty are still problems:  http://sfist.com/2012/10/19/oakland_stockton_make_forbes_most_v.php
i'm sure much of the city is lovely, but i'm also sure that at least a handful of neighborhoods have serious problems.  the same thing with Memphis.  Sure, you can stay in The Peabody and watch the ducks take the elevator down from the penthouse for their daily swim in the fountain, but you can also live a half-mile away where 80%+ are below poverty.
i think you could have a nice experience in pretty much any city as long as you are :kstategrad: and not a poor.  some cities have areas of poors and high crime. oakland is one of those cities.  doesn't mean the whole place sucks.

Poor people don't visit Oakland, though. You are basically saying that all of us would have a nice experience if we spent a weekend in Oakland.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3331 on: March 27, 2013, 09:07:52 AM »
Zagsblog saying it's likely Gottfried to UCLA now.  NC State has a stud 2013 class.  Feeding frenzy if he leaves.     

That seems like a poor fit. Zagoria has a pretty poor record of being right about anything that happens outside of the 212.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3332 on: March 27, 2013, 09:22:45 AM »

They can pick anyone they want.  I guess there is something scaring them off.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3333 on: March 27, 2013, 09:25:07 AM »
late to the party, but kansas city is a really shitty place.  no offense, bros.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3334 on: March 27, 2013, 09:28:42 AM »
every city over 500k is both pretty cool and really shitty simultaneously.  Now STFU about it

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3335 on: March 27, 2013, 09:35:58 AM »

They can pick anyone they want.  I guess there is something scaring them off.

hit the nail on the head. no school in their right mind would touch self right now with everything that he has going on.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3336 on: March 27, 2013, 09:38:40 AM »
Toxic.  They know as soon as he moves from a mildly followed team to a spotlight program that the dirt will be easy for all to see.

Bill's best option is to stay in the dark where no one really takes the time to care or see what he does.

Sad.  I mean, think what he could be if he would go to one of the spotlight programs and could somehow stay clean.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3337 on: March 27, 2013, 09:46:35 AM »

That seems like a poor fit. Zagoria has a pretty poor record of being right about anything that happens outside of the 212.

“Mark said he wants it and the boosters want Mark Gottfried,” the source told SNY.tv. “He’s got the support of the boosters.”

Gottfried has deep ties to UCLA, having served as an assistant there for eight years, including the 1994-95 national championship season under Jim Harrick.

:dunno:
My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3338 on: March 27, 2013, 09:48:50 AM »
Nothing quite like the Harrick coaching tree.

catzacker

« Reply #3339 on: March 27, 2013, 10:26:47 AM »
Gottfried couldn't sustain anything at Alabama and was fired/resigned, correct?   This is where UCLA is at?  This is why UP's are stupid.  If you're a tradition rich proram and you can't hire elite talent, it's because the guy that's doing the hiring has made it a horrible environment and should be fired.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3340 on: March 27, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »
Poor people don't visit Oakland, though. You are basically saying that all of us would have a nice experience if we spent a weekend in Oakland.

you would have a lovely time. :D

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: March 27, 2013, 10:34:57 AM »

“Mark said he wants it and the boosters want Mark Gottfried,” the source told SNY.tv. “He’s got the support of the boosters.”

Gottfried has deep ties to UCLA, having served as an assistant there for eight years, including the 1994-95 national championship season under Jim Harrick.

None of that contradicts what I posted. So are we going to ignore his head coaching record or are we going to focus on his time as an assistant 18 years ago? They may select him, and that's fine, but he seems to be a dime a dozen as far as college basketball coaches go. How is he any different than oscar Weber? Pretty sure we would have been angry, not as though, if Gottfried replaced Martin. It's UCLfreakingA they either need to go get someone with accomplishments or a rising star assistant who has shown the ability to get lots of players.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: March 27, 2013, 10:38:14 AM »
Pastner would build a monster at UCLA.

catzacker

« Reply #3343 on: March 27, 2013, 10:50:19 AM »
Pastner would build a monster at UCLA.

Pastner needs to get out of Memphis this year.  I’m not sure what job would open up that he’d want next year – maybe if Barnes has another bad year, UT fires him and the ripple affect opens a job up for Pastner.  But if Pastner leaves next year I would imagine oscar Pearl would (or I guess should) be #1 on Memphis’ list (as Pearl’s probation is up in Aug ’14).  And if Pearl goes to Memphis, there would be zero chance of him ever coming to KSU – not that there’s much anyway but at that point, that hope would just bite down on the cyanide pill.   

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3344 on: March 27, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »
If Self leaves next year and KU hires Pearl, do we give up on basketball forever or what?

Offline GCJayhawker

• Point Plank'r
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3345 on: March 27, 2013, 11:29:03 AM »
 :bait:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: March 27, 2013, 11:46:14 AM »

Yep, the boosters support of Gottfried is in no small part due to the fact that they know he'll pull the same crap as Harrick.  Smart move.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: March 27, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »

Yep, the boosters support of Gottfried is in no small part due to the fact that they know he'll pull the same crap as Harrick.  Smart move.

Hell yes he will.  He's already been doing it at NC State.  He's landed three McD's AAs in his first two classes along with several other top-100 studs. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: March 27, 2013, 12:13:56 PM »
Pastner would build a monster at Texas.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: March 27, 2013, 12:18:41 PM »

None of that contradicts what I posted. So are we going to ignore his head coaching record or are we going to focus on his time as an assistant 18 years ago? They may select him, and that's fine, but he seems to be a dime a dozen as far as college basketball coaches go. How is he any different than oscar Weber? Pretty sure we would have been angry, not as though, if Gottfried replaced Martin. It's UCLfreakingA they either need to go get someone with accomplishments or a rising star assistant who has shown the ability to get lots of players.

He has apprently learned how to recruit at an elite level.  In his first two classes at NC State he's landed three McD's AAs and all six of his NC State recruits thus far have been RSCI top-100 players (2012: #17, #27 and #43 and 2013: #9, #40 and #72).  I'd say that sets him just a little apart from oscar seeing as how oscar didn't land a single RSCI top-100 player in the same time frame let alone a McD's AA.  I imagine if UCLA is interested, that's what they're seeing.  A basketball team full of studs every year.  Generally that has a positive impact on fan interest and support.