Author Topic: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)  (Read 933764 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching Carousel Master Thread (MAYBE FEATURING THE KSU CATS?)
« Reply #4700 on: March 20, 2016, 02:54:43 PM »
Gary Parrish saying Jamie Dixon pondering TCU job.

That isn't good news for our hopes of somehow getting Brad in 2017. I don't understand the move for Dixon. I get doing the old Haith Reset but TCU is one of the five worst power five jobs with BC, Rutgers, Washington State, and Northwestern.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4701 on: March 20, 2016, 02:57:03 PM »
the whole discussion is pointless, btw.  no one gives a crap if we've been bad enough that it'd be fair to poor webersie if we run his ass.  the issue is that the overwhelmingly majority of kstate fans would prefer for underwood to be the kstate mbball coach.  it's about underwood, not weber.

I agree, if Weber was fired tomorrow, I don't think there would be much explanation needed from Currie, and the national perception would be that it was justified -- the reaction to Stanford's coach firing proves that.

Hypothetically, what if Currie preferred someone like Buzz Williams to Underwood? Or some other coach that has won at P5 level?

Like a coach that has been to the tourney 3 of the last 4 years and recruited several NBA players in that time frame?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4702 on: March 20, 2016, 02:58:54 PM »
the whole discussion is pointless, btw.  no one gives a crap if we've been bad enough that it'd be fair to poor webersie if we run his ass.  the issue is that the overwhelmingly majority of kstate fans would prefer for underwood to be the kstate mbball coach.  it's about underwood, not weber.

I agree, if Weber was fired tomorrow, I don't think there would be much explanation needed from Currie, and the national perception would be that it was justified -- the reaction to Stanford's coach firing proves that.

Hypothetically, what if Currie preferred someone like Buzz Williams to Underwood? Or some other coach that has won at P5 level?

I'm in. Not bound to an Underwood hire. Weber is just repeating his tenure at Illinois, and it is maddening we hired that to begin with. Take the B12 title, some decent talent left behind, and cut your losses.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4703 on: March 20, 2016, 03:05:54 PM »

Depends on the wins

catzacker

« Reply #4704 on: March 20, 2016, 03:09:01 PM »
Why does our coach have to have P5 experience? Illinois stupid for hiring Self? KSU stupid for hiring Lon? Frank? Weber had all kinds of P5 experience.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #4705 on: March 20, 2016, 03:10:14 PM »
Maybe another recently fired coach?  That would show me a commitment to winning basketball.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4706 on: March 20, 2016, 03:11:25 PM »

then, hypothetically, he should go be ad of some other school that wants to hire buzz williams.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4707 on: March 20, 2016, 03:11:55 PM »
I think if you can make a clear upgrade at a coaching position you almost always should do it.  There is almost no loyalty in the business and loyalty can have its downsides even when it is mutual and merited.  Currie has shown has tasted blood before, let's see if he still has the killer instinct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4708 on: March 20, 2016, 03:15:54 PM »
Buzz has done great things on his own without the leftovers of others.
 He is the type of coach you hire and give time to, especially when cleaning up a oscar.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4709 on: March 20, 2016, 03:18:06 PM »

Re:  Angel, see Leti's allegations.  We will never hear Currie on the record on the matter due to FERPA.  http://www.bringonthecats.com/2014/5/2/5675012/k-states-athletic-department-wont-release-leticia-romero-should-they

Leti was wrong, either accidentally or intentionally.
http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=27475.msg1098233#msg1098233

No one else, including Angel himself, has given any indication that Angel was not able to transfer when he wanted.

I appreciate your response here.  It is almost impossible to know whether angel was offered a deal.  What we do know is how Currie behaved during the Leti saga, and in the Curtis Kelly saga.  Both indicate that Currie is willing to use the full extent of the the procedural power available to him when he wants something.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4710 on: March 20, 2016, 03:18:41 PM »

Maybe another recently fired coach?  That would show me a commitment to winning basketball.

Rick Barnes?

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #4711 on: March 20, 2016, 03:21:25 PM »

Rick Barnes?

Too late!!

But in a couple of years he might be available again. Then we can reach those lofty heights that only programs like Texas Tech get to. To dream.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4712 on: March 20, 2016, 03:24:04 PM »
John-ny Daw-kins clap-clap-clapclapclap

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4713 on: March 20, 2016, 03:25:05 PM »
Travis Ford recruited 3 NBA players, went to the tournament 3 of the last 4 years. I heard he was available.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #4714 on: March 20, 2016, 03:28:23 PM »
John-ny Daw-kins clap-clap-clapclapclap
The daxes of our fan base would never allow it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4715 on: March 20, 2016, 03:35:53 PM »
oh man

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4716 on: March 20, 2016, 03:36:27 PM »
Brad is almost in the sweet 16.  That should be an auto offer, imo.  If the AD will ever be open to hiring brad, what would/could they even be waiting for after that?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4717 on: March 20, 2016, 03:39:17 PM »

Rick Barnes?

Too late!!

But in a couple of years he might be available again. Then we can reach those lofty heights that only programs like Texas Tech get to. To dream.

It is amazing how far expectations have fallen in such a short period of time.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4718 on: March 20, 2016, 04:00:25 PM »
Wow, SFA was " " close to really putting some uncomfortable pressure on our AD for another week.  Would have been a  whole week of chatter on goPowercat about that one for sure.  They are really up in arms about how much they hate oscar Weber, and by extension many seem to really hate Currie.  DODGED A BULLET!

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4719 on: March 20, 2016, 04:02:58 PM »
GPC hates Weber?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4720 on: March 20, 2016, 04:05:46 PM »

Couple things...
He wasn't coldblooded about Angel -- the kid wanted to transfer, so he transferred.
He didn't get rid of Frank.
At the time oscar was hired, Brad had never been a major college head coach. At the time most of the folks on here were campaigning for Doug Gottlieb, not Brad. A bit revisionist history to say Currie should have seen Brad's potential at the time, when most K-State fans didn't either.

I'm one of your biggest supporters here, but your 2 about Frank is a bold face lie and makes people here really question you.

JC and FM were not best friends, but they don't have to be. There was no reason FM couldn't have remained as kstates head coach. He was offered a contract extension.

Frank was/is very popular, so it is very easy to blame Currie for Frank leaving (making him unhappy, not trying harder to keep him, etc). Frank was ultimately the one who decided it wasn't sustainable here and chose to leave. At minimum, they both are to blame (and to be fair, I think several people on here have said this). It isn't accurate to paint Currie alone as the reason FM is gone.

Agree 100% that they are both responsible.  They are both to blame for tearing down the program for nothing more than petty bullshit building up over time.  Yeah Jam Sam was the final straw under the bus, but that relationship was sour because of Currie poisoning the well. You can't blame Frank for looking elsewhere when you have bitter water to drink and now you have an AD actively undermining your program, failing to back your student athletes, and misrepresenting the rules all in a quest to make himself look clean. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4721 on: March 20, 2016, 04:06:07 PM »
GPC hates Weber?

Yep. 

I didn't believe it when Sys first told me that, but I went over there and read thread after thread confirming just that.  It's really impressive.  They despise Weber.  The ONLY thing they seem divided on is how much to blame Currie.  50-50 on whether Currie should be out as well, it would seem.  Interesting for sure.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4722 on: March 20, 2016, 04:08:46 PM »
It amazes me that ADs fire coaches and than hire retread coaches who have proven to be failures at a P5 level.  I've still yet to hear one example of a coach fired for being a loser at a P5 school who went on to success somewhere (P5) else. You have to take the risk on a lower level coach or assistant with no track record over a loser like Weber.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #4723 on: March 20, 2016, 04:10:33 PM »
GPC hates Weber?

Yep. 

I didn't believe it when Sys first told me that, but I went over there and read thread after thread confirming just that.  It's really impressive.  They despise Weber.  They ONLY thing they seem divided on is how much to blame Currie.  50-50 on whether Currie should be out as well, it would seem.  Interesting for sure.

D. Scott's commentary on Twitter has to be a factor in that.  He's really passive aggressive about oscar.

A work friend of mine who frequents GPC tells me the same things after he texts me curse word laden epithets about oscar after each loss.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4724 on: March 20, 2016, 04:13:21 PM »
GPC hates Weber?

Yep. 

I didn't believe it when Sys first told me that, but I went over there and read thread after thread confirming just that.  It's really impressive.  They despise Weber.  The ONLY thing they seem divided on is how much to blame Currie.  50-50 on whether Currie should be out as well, it would seem.  Interesting for sure.

If we hate Weber, and they hate Weber, who the eff is attending these home games? I think this calls for an investigation.