Author Topic: AFCON  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
AFCON
« on: January 09, 2022, 10:52:59 AM »
Watching African Cup of Nations on bein sports extra which somehow is on roku channels for free.

Cameroon and Burkina Faso has been unreal first half.  Two penalties for the hosts Cameroon and Burkina Faso had three great opportunities off a single corner kick and put the first goal in on an amazing volley from a cross after two near misses.

There have been like 4 yellow cards and probably could’ve been two reds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: AFCON
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2022, 02:32:52 PM »
That's some dedication, well done kat kid!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2022, 03:04:51 PM »
Wow I want to watch. Yaya Toure was the first international player I remember loving to watch and Zaha was the second so go elephants obviously.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2022, 04:26:36 PM »
AFCON is lit, definitely goin got do some illegal streaming too.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 01:56:17 PM »

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 03:54:10 PM »

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 05:32:22 PM »
https://twitter.com/beINSPORTSUSA/status/1481282584978014221

I was following this saga on Twitter while it happened. They ended the game after the second time, both teams went in. Then officials came in during Mali’s (winning team) press conference and told them to come back out to the field to play the last few minutes. Mali came back out but Tunisia refused so they ended the game again.

International soccer drama may be the best sports drama.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2022, 10:53:04 PM »
It's a damn shame that AFCON isn't played during an international break.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2022, 11:01:37 PM »
https://twitter.com/beINSPORTSUSA/status/1481282584978014221
Wooooow

I'll admit the way time is handled is one of the most baffling things about soccer. I'm actually amazed at how rarely teams get pissed about when the refs end games

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2022, 12:41:08 AM »
How soccer is timed is absolutely the dumbest rule/procedure in any major spectator sport.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2022, 01:03:52 AM »
How soccer is timed is absolutely the dumbest rule/procedure in any major spectator sport.

I love how dumb it is and that america just goes along with it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2022, 06:40:06 AM »

I love how dumb it is and that america just goes along with it.

The early days of MLS had a countdown clock that stopped and ended at zero. They also had kickass shootouts that are way better than real ones:

https://youtu.be/RRITqS6WEn0

Penalty kicks are the second dumbest thing BTW. Way too easy for to players. The MLS version probably would be too but it would be more interesting

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2022, 12:24:07 PM »
This thing is Algeria’s to lose
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2022, 03:02:45 PM »
i disagree wholeheartedly on the soccer clock rules. i can't think of a time i have seen a controversy (other than this lol afcon thing), because the ref always allows the pressing team to finish their attacking possession. and because the clock is entirely up to the referee, nobody really ever bitches about it, because there's nothing a team can point to and say "you F'd up" or whatever. even the stoppage time is just a number than can be added onto by stoppage during stoppage time.
i like to compare it to the tag rule in baseball PRE-instant replay. like if you got there before the ball you were safe end of story.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2022, 10:30:45 PM »
i disagree wholeheartedly on the soccer clock rules. i can't think of a time i have seen a controversy (other than this lol afcon thing), because the ref always allows the pressing team to finish their attacking possession. and because the clock is entirely up to the referee, nobody really ever bitches about it, because there's nothing a team can point to and say "you F'd up" or whatever. even the stoppage time is just a number than can be added onto by stoppage during stoppage time.
i like to compare it to the tag rule in baseball PRE-instant replay. like if you got there before the ball you were safe end of story.

What? First of all this sentence you typed makes it the dumbest process in sports
because the ref always allows the pressing team to finish their attacking possession. and because the clock is entirely up to the referee
whether people are always mad, or whatever, is immaterial. Soccer is literally the only sport where there is subjectivity to when the competition will end. There have been numerous studies as to how accurate officials are when determining how long a match should last, that's ridiculous.
“Waiting to see the added time is an interesting feeling most people don’t understand,” said U.S. women’s national team star Alex Morgan, whose goal in the third minute of stoppage time after two overtimes beat Canada in the 2012 Summer Olympics semifinals.
“It’s something unlike any other sport. I love that uniqueness and the fact the referee has the power to decide exactly at what instant and on what play to call it. You can’t just expect the clock to help you in the final seconds. It’s a scary moment.”

Check this out
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/world-cup-stoppage-time-is-wildly-inaccurate/amp/
If you don't want to read it, understandable, look at this from the lede.
The second half of Iran and Morocco’s tightly contested group match contained nothing too out of the ordinary by World Cup standards. Each side used all three substitutes; there was only one booking; no goals were scored. In a group with Spain and Portugal, both teams presumably were eager to steal a crucial three points and break the 0-0 tie. When the game reached the 90-minute mark, the fourth official raised the electronic board to indicate six minutes of added time.

It should have read 14 minutes.

As for you claim that you can't remember other clock controversies.  :ROFL: you have a very short memory
https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/pro-explains-extra-stoppage-time-sporting-kansas-city-vs-san-jose-earthquakes-au

It's still recent enough where I still remember the Copa America this summer where the referee gave Brazil 10 minutes of stoppage time against Colombia and of course Brazil scored in the 100th minute to win.

There was also a MLS match this year, I forgot who played, Dallas and someone else, where they put 6 minutes on the board but they played 14.

I contend that people are so pissed about stoppage time so often that we all forget, being mad about the timing is just something soccer fans accept, but it's silly.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2022, 01:08:18 AM »
The time is unique and gives the ref huge power, but the ref is already like a dictator drunk with power.  VAR has tried to address this slightly with mixed results but in what other sport can a ref just use his judgement to throw a player out for two games or with their judgment give a team a fantastic chance to score what is often 40% of the points in a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 02:38:52 PM »
Half of the clock issues could be made better by referees enforcing timing rules already in place.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2022, 10:21:58 PM »
I think of timing issues as a quirk/charm like mumped up dimensions in baseball, everyone is subject to the same whims.

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2022, 12:31:05 AM »
I think of timing issues as a quirk/charm like mumped up dimensions in baseball, everyone is subject to the same whims.

The difference is those dimensions are static and you play the entire game under those expected conditions. Soccer, you literally have no idea how long you're playing until the match ends. This is a pretty light hearted conversation but as big of an issue match fixing is and has been in soccer, I'm surprised they have something as a standard mode of operation that can so easily be manipulated.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2022, 04:26:52 PM »
An LFC final!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2022, 01:12:08 PM »
Mane earns a penalty, before the kick pointed to the right to the goalkeeper, then hit it right down the middle and it was saved.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2022, 04:29:58 PM »
Mane earns a penalty, before the kick pointed to the right to the goalkeeper, then hit it right down the middle and it was saved.
Amazing

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2022, 04:47:59 PM »
Mane ends the game with a successful penalty kick to win senegals first AFCON.  What a deserving victory, Senegal had all the chances and it was nice to see mane redeem himself.