Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 324097 times)

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #2725 on: October 13, 2016, 08:49:28 AM »
the renocat thing is still a thing. amazing.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2726 on: October 13, 2016, 02:21:06 PM »
SkiBen needs an outlet for his rational thoughts.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2727 on: October 14, 2016, 07:25:53 AM »
the renocat thing is still a thing. amazing.
So this is full of horse crap Hillary liars then when you all say welcome then? Based on registration xates it appears a grpup started this board.  So are new people welcomed or not?  I am too smart to be anyone else and too warped in the head for anyone to be me.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2728 on: October 14, 2016, 07:45:18 AM »
The closet I'll ever get to pregnancy is bad constipation

:lol:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2729 on: October 14, 2016, 12:37:19 PM »
just start a new sock.  jfc.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2730 on: October 14, 2016, 09:24:01 PM »
I think Sewardcat is available

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: October 20, 2016, 11:33:35 PM »
In all of the debate hate crap very little media attention is being focused on Obama admitting his healthcare program is a bust.  His answer is to offer medical insurance from the government.  I think the next president will curse the memory of Obama when they deal with this mess.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: October 24, 2016, 06:08:20 PM »

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2733 on: October 24, 2016, 10:27:04 PM »
Oh yeah, well trump tweeted something! :shakesfist:

Focus on the important stuff
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: October 25, 2016, 09:51:17 AM »
Only two insurance providers left in Philly.

But #Russians  :curse:

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: October 25, 2016, 10:07:47 AM »
Only two insurance providers left in Philly.

But #Russians  :curse:
Hillary wants to adopt a Russiacare model.  If you are ultra rich good health no problem.  If you are not, long waits for service is common and care is veterinarian dogcare level.  Read.the following
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-05-13/in-russia-universal

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: October 26, 2016, 11:56:03 AM »
Obama-Hillary blowhards puff out their whatevers and proclaim poor and middle class have affordable premiums.  What does this mean when you have to use the Crapcare?  You have to exorbitant amounts out of your own pocket because your deductible is sky high.  Premium receivers can't afford to use it.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: January 10, 2017, 04:28:43 PM »
Guys, how bad is this going to end up looking for republicans?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: January 10, 2017, 04:34:57 PM »
They'll tweak it slightly and then everybody will be happy to be rid of Obamacare.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: January 10, 2017, 04:38:05 PM »
It's nice that it will finally be ok for states like Kansas to go ahead and accept the federal Obamacare dollars.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: January 10, 2017, 05:32:07 PM »
They'll tweak it slightly and then everybody will be happy to be rid of Obamacare.

Seems like they would be ridiculed endlessly for this, on the other hand they undoubtedly knew this all along and it was just a ploy to get votes.  It makes their base on this board look very stupid though.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: January 10, 2017, 05:46:01 PM »

Seems like they would be ridiculed endlessly for this, on the other hand they undoubtedly knew this all along and it was just a ploy to get votes.  It makes their base on this board look very stupid though.

Parody post?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: January 10, 2017, 05:55:45 PM »
I do think they will make a slight change, call it a win, and move on to other stuff, but who knows.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Obamacare
« Reply #2743 on: January 10, 2017, 06:06:50 PM »

Parody post?

I'm curious as to what you think they're going to do

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: January 10, 2017, 10:03:13 PM »
 :users:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2745 on: January 13, 2017, 11:29:59 AM »
Obamacare has winners and losers. I'd argue a lot more losers than winners, but that's a matter of political perception.

Even among the winners, some win more than others. The majority of people who gained coverage because of Obamacare was due to Medicaid expansion. Fewer and fewer doctors and facilities accept Medicaid, but at least it's cheap. Other people got subsidized coverage through the exchanges. Deductibles are often so high that it's little better than catastrophic care insurance, but at least it's something. Probably the biggest winners were people with serious pre-existing health issues - Obamacare forced insurers to cover them and spread the cost across the entire pool rather than hiking premiums on the sick.

For everyone else - and that's a lot more people than the "winners" above - their health insurance got more expensive, some had their policies cancelled because they didn't meet minimum coverage requirements, provider networks shrank, taxes increased, and the national debt increased (the claim that Obamacare saves money is predicated on a massive lie - that Medicare reimbursement will be slashed in the out years. Now how likely do you think that is?)

So here are the broad strokes of what will likely replace Obamacare....
1. You'll be able to buy insurance from wherever you want, no matter the state, and for a broader range of coverage levels and deductibles. It's going to be more like shopping for car insurance.
2. You won't be required to buy insurance.
3. People who are already sick will be able to purchase insurance, and won't be able to be kicked off insurance, but their premiums will rise because their healthcare costs are higher. I expect we'll see the federal government bloc grant some money to the states to create "high risk pools" to help these individuals.
4. Current Obamacare subsidies will be sunset over a few years, and replaced with smaller refundable tax credits. The tax credits can be smaller than the current subsidies because the insurance will likely be cheaper (see item 1).
5. Medicaid funds will be bloc granted to the states, which should aid in efficiency and incentivizing creating ways to find cost savings. This is the best way to possibly reduce the cost of Medicaid.
6. Tax code will be revised to encourage HDHP/HSAs. This has several benefits. First, it puts more spending decisions directly in the hands of consumers, instead of an insurer middleman, which has distorted the market and contributed to such high healthcare costs. Second, we'll be able to spend the HSA money on premiums, helping to decouple insurance from employers. We're all better off if our insurance is more portable.

This is still going to be expensive but hopefully not as expensive as Obamacare and with a lot more winners than losers.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: January 13, 2017, 11:35:08 AM »
1. I don't want congress to get rid of the pre-existing condition exemption
2. As long as they don't, all of our premiums will be more expensive than without it
3. I fully agree with destroying the bullshit regional sales areas
4. This country needs a serious paradigm shift from spending money trying to react to something to spending money in preventing something.  That won't happen because that will have to address food and pharm.  Neither of which will stand for it.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: January 13, 2017, 11:42:01 AM »

They're not going to get rid of guaranteed issue. I think that is what you are referring to. But I think they are going to allow insurance companies to charge higher premiums based upon preexisting conditions. That helps keep costs lower for everyone else in the pool.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: January 13, 2017, 11:44:30 AM »

They're not going to get rid of guaranteed issue. I think that is what you are referring to. But I think they are going to allow insurance companies to charge higher premiums based upon preexisting conditions. That helps keep costs lower for everyone else in the pool.

I know you partially addressed this with block grants, but the problem will be that those premiums will be stupid high and those being charge such premiums are likely to not be able to afford them, effectively making them uninsured.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: January 13, 2017, 11:46:17 AM »
Here's a good article about what we're likely to see. Looks like this is Part 1 of a series....

http://nypost.com/2017/01/12/what-to-expect-from-obamacares-replacement/

Initially, any changes will be very small and incremental. Repeal won’t happen overnight, or all at once. Rather, Republicans are likely to establish a sunset date, three or four years from now, allowing time to craft a replacement. Still, sooner or later, we’ll be living under a very different health-care system. Therefore, over the next few days, we’ll take a look at what it’s really going to mean for health-care consumers, patients, doctors, hospitals, insurers, businesses and taxpayers.

One of the first things most Americans are likely to find is that they’ll have more choices when it comes to buying insurance. You may have to pay more for insurance that covers some providers and conditions, but you’ll also be able to buy cheaper, less-comprehensive insurance if you want to.

ObamaCare required all insurance to cover a wide-ranging — and expensive — “essential benefits package.” Repeal will mean more of an a la carte approach to insurance, based on individual consumer preference.

In fact, this is likely to be one of the first changes to ObamaCare. While the law requires that there be an essential-benefits package, it gives the president a great deal of discretion in determining what that package should be. President Trump can take action by executive order to repeal some of the requirements that President Obama included.

People will even have the choice not to buy insurance at all, since the much-reviled individual mandate will be gone. Going without insurance may not necessarily be a wise choice, but it does re-establish a fundamental limit to state power over the individual. And it allows young and healthy people to purchase low-cost catastrophic coverage that makes much more sense for them.

Most people will find more choice to be a good thing, but there’s a downside. If people opt out of services that they won’t use — such as men choosing not to buy maternity coverage — it will drive up the price for those who do use those services.

Consumers won’t just find more options in the types of plans; there should also be more insurers to choose from. Recently, insurers have been abandoning ObamaCare exchanges in droves. Roughly a third of US counties have only one insurer participating in their exchange. Repeal will lure insurers back into the market.

Finally, a replacement plan will almost certainly let you shop for insurance out of state. Today, it’s illegal for someone living in New York to buy insurance in, say, Pennsylvania even if a plan there is cheaper. This gives a near monopoly to a small cartel of New York insurers. Allowing consumers to shop across state lines will force some much-needed competition into the insurance market. It will also help prevent New York regulators from recreating the failures of ObamaCare at the state level.

Those changes will mostly affect the individual insurance market, but the majority of Americans who get their insurance through their employer are also likely to see more choice. That’s because any ObamaCare replacement is expected to significantly expand Health Savings Accounts.

HSAs shift control of health-care spending from employers to employees. An expansion of HSAs will most likely allow much larger tax-free contributions to these accounts, and allow them to be used for more health-related expenses, including insurance premiums. That would mean that you — not your boss — would be able to choose your insurance plan.

Expanded HSAs would also mean increased portability for health insurance. Because you could use your HSA to pay your premium, you wouldn’t be as likely to lose your insurance if you changed or lost your job.

In general, then, most consumers will find themselves with more and better insurance choices after ObamaCare is repealed. Still, there are likely to be some people who face challenges, including those with low incomes and those with pre-existing conditions. Tomorrow, we’ll look at what repealing ObamaCare means for them.