Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 324124 times)

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #2325 on: December 02, 2015, 11:00:18 PM »
oh, i might need to partner with sys on this one
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2326 on: December 02, 2015, 11:05:00 PM »
I got shingles my first semester at KSU (2006) it wasn't fun but it wasn't that bad. The doctor gave me some pill to take that basically dried them out and sped up the healing.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2327 on: December 02, 2015, 11:22:02 PM »
Sounds like obamacare has really mumped us all  :frown:

My coverage has gotten progressively worse each year. I do not like the ACA but I'm not going to blame greedy insurance companies on it.

The most likely culprit after Big Oil, Wall Street Fat Cats and Evil Corporations. . . at least in libtard fantasy land.

I mean, the insurance companies are being forced to subsidize the crap ACA, which really isn't congruent with greed. And the law dictates precisely what coverage must be offered and at what permissible rates. Libtards gonna libtard I guess.

It dictates what the bare minimums are and plans are getting stripped down to do just that but whatever, you do you. You are so thirsty for a fight that you are arguing with someone that doesn't favor the ACA. Would it make you feel better if I called it Obamacare and called Obama names?

Yes, that would amuse me.

Also, everyone does the bare minimum when it comes to regulatory compliance, idiot. That's like the number 1 argument against regulating the crap out of everything. Everybody spends all their time making sure they're doing the bare minimum.

:blah:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2328 on: December 02, 2015, 11:22:51 PM »
how can we stop spending redic amounts of money on babies and old people?  Depending on what study you look at something like 5 % of the population generate 50% of health care expenditures and 20% generate 80%, much of it being driven by complicated infant care and end stages of life care.

japan has way more old people, spends way less and gets better results.  it's much more about how we overpay most of the people involved in medicine and have a really inefficient system in general.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2329 on: December 02, 2015, 11:31:08 PM »
how can we stop spending redic amounts of money on babies and old people?  Depending on what study you look at something like 5 % of the population generate 50% of health care expenditures and 20% generate 80%, much of it being driven by complicated infant care and end stages of life care.

japan has way more old people, spends way less and gets better results.  it's much more about how we overpay most of the people involved in medicine and have a really inefficient system in general.

how do we start market correcting what we pay these medical folks?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2330 on: December 02, 2015, 11:32:32 PM »
how do we start market correcting what we pay these medical folks?

we aren't going to, so why bother thinking about it?
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2331 on: December 02, 2015, 11:44:09 PM »
Sounds like everybody here has some good healthcare!  T's and P's dax and mir.

LOL, I have "good healthcare" and I'm sure dax does as well. How good a certain person's individual plan may be isn't the sign of whether the ACA is working or not. This goes without saying but either the collective comments itt about healthcare and insurance coverage are way out of proportion with the american public or some of you are lying.

The ACA has helped some people, likely not many itt, so in some ways it is working but it is nowhere close to reforming our healthcare system and it won't without some fixes.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2332 on: December 03, 2015, 08:48:35 AM »

Also, Japanese people are way healthier.  You'll never read on a Japanese K-State fan blog how some dude ate 6 full size pigs in a blanket in one sitting. 

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2333 on: December 03, 2015, 08:50:34 AM »
that may be a bad example

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2334 on: December 03, 2015, 08:55:35 AM »

LOL, I have "good healthcare" and I'm sure dax does as well. How good a certain person's individual plan may be isn't the sign of whether the ACA is working or not. This goes without saying but either the collective comments itt about healthcare and insurance coverage are way out of proportion with the american public or some of you are lying.

The ACA has helped some people, likely not many itt, so in some ways it is working but it is nowhere close to reforming our healthcare system and it won't without some fixes.

Agreed, except for that last part about "some fixes." Obamacare is beyond reform. The whole framework is faulty. How was (1) mandating minimum coverage levels most people don't need, (2) encouraging people to rely more on health insurance for purchasing healthcare, and (3) guaranteed issue to people already sick, going to do anything but dramatically increase premiums and healthcare costs?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2335 on: December 03, 2015, 09:19:11 AM »

Also, Japanese people are way healthier.  You'll never read on a Japanese K-State fan blog how some dude ate 6 full size pigs in a blanket in one sitting.

Not unless Takeru Kobayashi is a K-State fan.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2336 on: December 03, 2015, 09:31:19 AM »

Not unless Takeru Kobayashi is a K-State fan.

You think he would brag about 6?  Pffft.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2337 on: December 03, 2015, 10:17:39 AM »

Agreed, except for that last part about "some fixes." Obamacare is beyond reform. The whole framework is faulty. How was (1) mandating minimum coverage levels most people don't need, (2) encouraging people to rely more on health insurance for purchasing healthcare, and (3) guaranteed issue to people already sick, going to do anything but dramatically increase premiums and healthcare costs?

1) because insurance is there for when you need it, like all insurance.  the problem is that when people carry nothing that socializes the payment of those healthcare costs to those who do pay.

2) this doesn't make sense as it reads...are you suggesting we pay cash?  because that isn't possible for catastrophic incidents for 99% of us, because the payments of healthcare have been socialized to us and we have an over inflated cost system.

3) These sick people have always had access to healthcare, they didn't have access to systems of payment.  Look at the causation between coverage and condition. 
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2338 on: December 03, 2015, 09:24:24 PM »
One of the worst parts about this whole plan is all the illiterate idiots who voted for this stooge and think they're getting "cheap" coverage because their premium went down $20 per month, but have no idea their deductible went from $500 to $5000. Then they get sick and blame the insurance company when they get a $1000 bill.  The people getting mumped the hardest think they're getting a great deal. They have no idea they're financing, yet again, the baby boomer ponzi schemes. Straight line D baby. They're the party who"cares". Carpetbaggers.

But hey, that mandatory std coverage is a hit! Also, free mammograms for all single men.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2339 on: December 03, 2015, 09:34:04 PM »

1) because insurance is there for when you need it, like all insurance.  the problem is that when people carry nothing that socializes the payment of those healthcare costs to those who do pay.

2) this doesn't make sense as it reads...are you suggesting we pay cash?  because that isn't possible for catastrophic incidents for 99% of us, because the payments of healthcare have been socialized to us and we have an over inflated cost system.

3) These sick people have always had access to healthcare, they didn't have access to systems of payment.  Look at the causation between coverage and condition.

Briefly, because this has all been discussed, repeatedly ITT:
1. I'm well aware that insurance spreads risk. That's not the point. The point is that is it is absurd to force everyone to buy minimum levels of coverage, including certain procedures they can't possibly ever need. That minimum coverage didn't actually save money or stop premiums from rising. The theory failed.

2. No, I'm suggesting people should treat health insurance like all other insurance - to pay for catastrophic events they can otherwise afford, but pay for routine maintenance out of pocket. The theory that Obamacare would save money by providing all that free "preventive care" was bullshit. What we found was that people just consumed a lot more care because it was "free." Only it's not actually free, and drives up costs. Again, if you want healthcare to be cheaper, you have to introduce free market competition where consumers make choices with their wallets. Introducing the insurance middle man destroys that. Thus, Obamacare makes things worse by making people more dependent on insurance - not less.

3. Right, you're again making the theoretical argument behind Obamacare, that the insured were already subsidizing people without insurance anyway, so we can save money by insuring them. It was bullshit. It didn't work. By adding them to the insurance rolls, they consumed even more health care. And not enough young healthy people volunteered to pay for expensive insurance they almost certainly don't need to help offset the sick.

So in summary, you can repeat all the arguments in favor of Obamacare until you're blue in the face. We tried it. All your theories that we can somehow centrally manage healthcare better than the free market have been proven failures.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:40:29 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2340 on: December 03, 2015, 09:37:02 PM »
can you really measure the effects of preventative care after a year or whatever?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: December 03, 2015, 09:45:50 PM »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: December 03, 2015, 09:52:40 PM »
that just agrees with ww that we need age limits and death panels
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: December 03, 2015, 10:06:23 PM »
don't most single payer countries effectively have age limits and death panels?

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: December 03, 2015, 10:07:05 PM »
Ksw just compared healthcare to auto or home maintenance.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: December 03, 2015, 11:53:13 PM »
What right does government have to force people to buy anything just because they breathe?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: December 04, 2015, 12:17:46 AM »
ptolemy has Fab on repeat tonight

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: December 04, 2015, 08:51:38 AM »
What right does government have to force people to buy anything just because they breathe?

Yeah, I didn't think the government had that right, either, but John Roberts disagreed, sort of. He ruled that the individual mandate is a tax - even though the Dems swore up and down it wasn't. So according to the Supreme Court, the government can force you to do anything it damn well wants as long as it only hits you with a tax for not complying. That still doesn't seem Consitutional to me, but it evidently made a lot of sense to John Roberts at the time...

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: December 04, 2015, 09:49:15 AM »
What right do they have to tell me to wear a seat belt!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: December 04, 2015, 09:53:12 AM »
What right do they have to tell me to wear a seat belt!

You don't have the right to drive a car, so.... yeah, the government can sanction you for not wearing a seatbelt.

Obamacare is breaking new ground - the government can now require you to buy something by simple virtue of being alive, and evidently it can require you buy or do anything else as long as the punishment is a "tax."