Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 323074 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #925 on: October 23, 2013, 01:09:52 PM »
Chum, just admit you were wrong and move on. Insurers are cancelling policies by the hundreds of thousands due to Obamacare. This isn't an opinion - it's straight from the insurance companies.

My question is about how these policies could be cancelled due to Obamacare.  It doesn't make sense for the reasons I gave.  The articles you linked which cite that Kaiser story don't explain it, they just assert it.

Ok, so you still think the insurance companies are wrong. Does anybody else agree with you? Can you cite to one industry professional, journalist, even a crack-pot blogger?

Some agree, some disagree.  So, why don't we see if we can figure this out for ourelves rather than merely picking a side that we already agree with?  I asked a question.  As a next step, you could try to answer it.

Let's start with you citing to anyone who concurs with you.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: October 23, 2013, 01:15:30 PM »
So if Kaiser has 300,000 policies out that don't meet the obamacare standard, and it doesn't make economic sense to increase the coverage for the current premium, shouldn't they withdraw the policy and let those 300,000 go through the exchanges? Seems much easier than trying to adjust everyone's premiums accordingly and dealing with customer sticker shock when they can deflect that problem to the government.

Wouldn't they want to retain as much business as possible?  They could probably deal with having some pissed off customers, I'd think.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: October 23, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »
So if Kaiser has 300,000 policies out that don't meet the obamacare standard, and it doesn't make economic sense to increase the coverage for the current premium, shouldn't they withdraw the policy and let those 300,000 go through the exchanges? Seems much easier than trying to adjust everyone's premiums accordingly and dealing with customer sticker shock when they can deflect that problem to the government.

Wouldn't they want to retain as much business as possible?  They could probably deal with having some pissed off customers, I'd think.

They're part of the exchange, so they'll get most of them back at a higher rate and deflect the blame for higher premiums.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: October 23, 2013, 01:29:20 PM »
Chum, just admit you were wrong and move on. Insurers are cancelling policies by the hundreds of thousands due to Obamacare. This isn't an opinion - it's straight from the insurance companies.

My question is about how these policies could be cancelled due to Obamacare.  It doesn't make sense for the reasons I gave.  The articles you linked which cite that Kaiser story don't explain it, they just assert it.

Ok, so you still think the insurance companies are wrong. Does anybody else agree with you? Can you cite to one industry professional, journalist, even a crack-pot blogger?

Some agree, some disagree.  So, why don't we see if we can figure this out for ourelves rather than merely picking a side that we already agree with?  I asked a question.  As a next step, you could try to answer it.

I just spent a minute searching and didn't find any.  There are just a bunch of links to articles citing that same Kaiser story.  Let's assume no one agrees with me.  Now, go ahead and tell me why Obamacare causes some plans to get cancelled, but not othets.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: October 23, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »

I just spent a minute searching and didn't find any.  There are just a bunch of links to articles citing that same Kaiser story.  Let's assume no one agrees with me.  Now, go ahead and tell me why Obamacare causes some plans to get cancelled, but not othets.

The others already comply with the minimums and always have?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: October 23, 2013, 02:22:56 PM »

The others already comply with the minimums and always have?

Right. There are plenty of policies that already meet the minimum coverage mandates.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: October 23, 2013, 02:27:04 PM »
Wow.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: October 23, 2013, 02:56:37 PM »
Lol
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: October 23, 2013, 04:17:03 PM »
Yawn... just another industry expert explaining how Obamacare is trashing existing policies on the individual market....

http://healthpolicyandmarket.blogspot.com/2013/10/week-two-of-obamacare-federal-health.html#more

The entire article post is very informative, but here's the key excerpt.

The U.S. individual health insurance market currently totals about 19 million people. Because the Obama administration's regulations on grandfathering existing plans were so stringent about 85% of those, 16 million, are not grandfathered and must comply with Obamacare at their next renewal. The rules are very complex. For example, if you had an individual plan in March of 2010 when the law was passed and you only increased the deductible from $1,000 to $1,500 in the years since, your plan has lost its grandfather status and it will no longer be available to you when it would have renewed in 2014.

These 16 million people are now receiving letters from their carriers saying they are losing their current coverage and must re-enroll in order to avoid a break in coverage and comply with the new health law's benefit mandates––the vast majority by January 1. Most of these will be seeing some pretty big rate increases.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: October 23, 2013, 04:30:44 PM »
TRASHING

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: October 23, 2013, 04:33:36 PM »
I hope my policy doesn't get trashed. I really like it.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: October 23, 2013, 04:35:29 PM »
i don't have any insurance to even get thrashed  <---ahead of the game

:gocho:

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: &quot;Obamacare&quot;
« Reply #937 on: October 23, 2013, 04:39:56 PM »
Just signed up for my health benefits for 2014.  I'm getting paid $1.84/month to have health insurance.  Lotta liars in this thread.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: October 23, 2013, 05:07:48 PM »
Just signed up for my health benefits for 2014.  I'm getting paid $1.84/month to have health insurance.  Lotta liars in this thread.

How did you afford all that Chipotle for a week?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: October 23, 2013, 05:20:29 PM »

Sounds like your old policy was CANCELLED and TRASHED.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: October 23, 2013, 05:32:39 PM »

You only have 'till mid april to get signed up, seven.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: October 23, 2013, 05:39:34 PM »
TRASHING

Now you're getting it. Seriously though, if at any point you find something to the contrary, feel free to share. Or just go ahead and keep pretending that policies are not being cancelled due to ObamaCare mandates. Up to you.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: October 23, 2013, 05:40:23 PM »

probably just pay the penalty.   :dunno:  thought about signing up for the plan that's offered though the school, but that's still like $100 a month when i've only been to the doctor once in the last 13 years.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: October 23, 2013, 05:46:30 PM »

probably just pay the penalty.   :dunno:  thought about signing up for the plan that's offered though the school, but that's still like $100 a month when i've only been to the doctor once in the last 13 years.

That's what I would do this year, but maybe they will pay you like they did kitten mittons.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: October 23, 2013, 05:50:49 PM »

That's what I would do this year, but maybe they will pay you like they did kitten mittons.

oh, i'm sure i'm eligible for all kinds of subsidy's, but they make you like sign up on that healthcare.gov website... and i'm just not motivated enough to find out.  i just did the quick checker thing and even the premium plans were like $350 a month, which is about what my employer paid when i had insurance though them.  (meaning they are reasonable, just not for someone in my situation)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: October 23, 2013, 06:35:34 PM »
TRASHING

Now you're getting it. Seriously though, if at any point you find something to the contrary, feel free to share. Or just go ahead and keep pretending that policies are not being cancelled due to ObamaCare mandates. Up to you.

What I'm getting is that I completely mistook you to be saying that there was something of significance about these cancellations. 

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: October 23, 2013, 06:58:09 PM »
TRASHING

What I'm getting is that I completely mistook you to be saying that there was something of significance about these cancellations.

There is some significance in that the people were promised that they would be able to keep their plans if they liked them, they would be able to keep their doctor, and that the new plans would be less expensive.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: October 23, 2013, 07:07:15 PM »
TRASHING

For those keeping score at home, Chum now concedes that ObamaCare is causing cancellations, and has switched to "they're insignificant." Next up will be the latest libtard fallback "well, their old insurance obviously sucked."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: October 23, 2013, 07:09:06 PM »
TRASHING

There is some significance in that the people were promised that they would be able to keep their plans if they liked them, they would be able to keep their doctor, and that the new plans would be less expensive.

I never took Obama to be saying both that their plans would change and and would not change.  But even if that's what he conveyed, is it really that significant?  Politicians do that all the time.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: October 23, 2013, 07:19:48 PM »
TRASHING

For those keeping score at home, Chum now concedes that ObamaCare is causing cancellations, and has switched to "they're insignificant." Next up will be the latest libtard fallback "well, their old insurance obviously sucked."

The type of cancellations you're talking about have been the norm for a long time.  They've been caused by many other laws.  I thought you were saying there was somerhing uniquely disasterous about cancellations caused by Obamacare.  Were you not?