Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 323103 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #2900 on: May 04, 2017, 09:31:43 PM »
the only positive is it may finally lead us to Medicare for all.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/860288221472804865

outside of the FSD sock I think basically everyone wants this

Only morons want VA/Medicaid for all. Or else only morons don't realize that's what single payer healthcare would be. Either way, theyre morons. Don't be one. Stop trying to eff up the quality of healthcare by making it "free." Eventually you're going to get old and actually need it.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: May 04, 2017, 09:33:07 PM »
the only positive is it may finally lead us to Medicare for all.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/860288221472804865

outside of the FSD sock I think basically everyone wants this

Only morons want VA/Medicaid for all. Or else only morons don't realize that's what single payer healthcare would be. Either way, theyre morons. Don't be one. Stop trying to eff up the quality of healthcare by making it "free." Eventually you're going to get old and actually need it.

ok i guess it's the FSD sock and KSUW but everyone else
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: May 04, 2017, 09:36:20 PM »
Lol, ksuw is very funny
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2903 on: May 04, 2017, 09:38:45 PM »
Yeah once you're out of the womb you're on your own, start a business or something.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2904 on: May 04, 2017, 09:59:35 PM »
I think AIDS might still be more popular than state-run health care.
 :lol:

Let these weirdos and their ignorance and delusion drift further into the leftist fringe. Nobody is paying them any attention
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: May 04, 2017, 10:41:29 PM »
I'm a pretty reasonable person and idk if I want single payer

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: May 04, 2017, 11:30:35 PM »
Still waiting to hear how this improved anything. ...Obamacare needed help...how did this do that?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: May 05, 2017, 08:08:45 AM »
I like ksuw's stance that if you supported Obamacare you can't complain when it's repealed.

It's Ron prince bold

Two problems here: First, if you supported Obamacare, and more importantly, if you still support Obamacare as premiums rise and the exchanges implode, you're a dumbass. Second, this bill does not repeal Obamacare - just pieces of it, sort of.

Hey, here's a brain buster for you:

What if I thought Obamacare was not very good, but this is way worse?

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: May 05, 2017, 08:13:10 AM »
I don't see how premiums are going to go down when we get rid of the individual mandate. Wasn't the mandate in place to try to keep premiums down?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: May 05, 2017, 08:15:22 AM »
What is the perfect model for health care that Republicans actually want?

It is perpetual bitching about how Democrats ruin everything and if they were just in charge they would solve all the problems with premiums, with pre-existing conditions leading to denied coverage, with the onerous regulations and restrictions on inter-state insurance pools etc.

What is the vision? Where is the already existing example of this magical wonderland of healthcare that is accessible, market-based and affordable?

There is not a single example in the world and the United States consistently has one of the worst health care records based on cost and quality of care for our children and our poor.

There are lots of models of single-payer that can be discussed and debated, but everyone knows that "freedom of choice" in healthcare means "paying out of pocket" and provides just as much freedom as any other commodity, except with more asymmetry of information than any other transaction you will ever make and your life in the balance. It is absurd on its face.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2910 on: May 05, 2017, 08:21:04 AM »
I don't see how premiums are going to go down when we get rid of the individual mandate. Wasn't the mandate in place to try to keep premiums down?

It was mainly there so people would get insurance, actually that was the whole point of obamacare

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: May 05, 2017, 08:22:18 AM »
 :love: I love it when you guys talk health insurance.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: May 05, 2017, 08:25:43 AM »

It is perpetual bitching about how Democrats ruin everything and if they were just in charge they would solve all the problems with premiums, with pre-existing conditions leading to denied coverage, with the onerous regulations and restrictions on inter-state insurance pools etc.

What is the vision? Where is the already existing example of this magical wonderland of healthcare that is accessible, market-based and affordable?

There is not a single example in the world and the United States consistently has one of the worst health care records based on cost and quality of care for our children and our poor.

There are lots of models of single-payer that can be discussed and debated, but everyone knows that "freedom of choice" in healthcare means "paying out of pocket" and provides just as much freedom as any other commodity, except with more asymmetry of information than any other transaction you will ever make and your life in the balance. It is absurd on its face.

I can assure you your quality of care will get worse w single payer (unless you're currently uninsured)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: May 05, 2017, 08:57:41 AM »

Healthcare is not significantly different from anything else we buy on the free market. The idea that we need a middle man to make our purchasing decisions for us - whether that is the government or an insurance company - and that this will somehow make it better quality and less expensive is extremely foolish.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: May 05, 2017, 09:04:26 AM »
Insurance companies (of any kind) are far from mere middle men. But go on about extremely foolish ideas.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: May 05, 2017, 09:05:44 AM »
 :lol:

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: May 05, 2017, 09:09:59 AM »

Yes, but it obviously didn't work. Because even with the mandate in place, millions of healthy, young people needed to subsidize the sick still weren't buying it. They were paying the penalty instead (or just not filing tax returns and not even paying the penalty).

The GOP approach is to reduce premiums is twofold:

First, the current bill allocates about $130 billion to states to set up "high risk pools" for folks with chronic health problems, which will help provide affordable coverage to them while allowing the states to allow insurance companies to once again price policies based upon age and health (you know - like how all other insurance works). That one-size fits all pricing is known as "community rating" and it is going away. That will reduce premiums for the young and healthy, which means they may actually buy policies, which in turn further helps reduce premiums for everyone.

Second, the bill has not abolished "guaranteed issue" - meaning insurers cannot deny coverage based upon preexisting conditions - but I believe the current version allows states to trim back those protections in that you have to maintain continuous coverage. You can't just let your coverage lapse and wait to get sick. This will also help.

In reality, the current bill probably doesn't go far enough regarding either of the two issues, so I'm not at all confident this will meaningfully reduce premiums. Also, note that in both cases I said "allow the states." It will be left up to individual states to decide what they want to do. So I seriously doubt we're going to see any reduction at all in blue states.

The Big Train

« Reply #2917 on: May 05, 2017, 09:10:36 AM »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: May 05, 2017, 09:12:12 AM »
Insurance companies (of any kind) are far from mere middle men. But go on about extremely foolish ideas.

Yeah they're a lot worse. So you know what we should do? Replace all those insurance companies with the federal government. Awesome idea!!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 09:19:44 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2919 on: May 05, 2017, 09:25:10 AM »
Senate shouldn't even bother with this bill and just rewrite a new one

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: May 05, 2017, 09:54:52 AM »

Yeah they're a lot worse. So you know what we should do? Replace all those insurance companies with the federal government. Awesome idea!!

Do you really not understand the basic concept of insurance and risk? You really sound like you don't.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: May 05, 2017, 09:58:41 AM »
He doesn't

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2922 on: May 05, 2017, 10:09:00 AM »

Healthcare is not significantly different from anything else we buy on the free market. The idea that we need a middle man to make our purchasing decisions for us - whether that is the government or an insurance company - and that this will somehow make it better quality and less expensive is extremely foolish.

What are you talking about?! I have to think you are smart enough that you are just being incredibly dishonest here.

When you have a sick kid, do you immediately start shopping around for the cheapest doc? Do you get to the doctor's office after consulting WebMD and then start ordering off the menu for which services you will consume?

Like, what are you even talking about?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: May 05, 2017, 10:12:37 AM »

Do you really not understand the basic concept of insurance and risk? You really sound like you don't.

Sure do. I can pretty much guarantee that while I am by no means an expert, I know a lot more about this issue than you.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: May 05, 2017, 10:14:53 AM »

What are you talking about?! I have to think you are smart enough that you are just being incredibly dishonest here.

When you have a sick kid, do you immediately start shopping around for the cheapest doc? Do you get to the doctor's office after consulting WebMD and then start ordering off the menu for which services you will consume?

Like, what are you even talking about?

Like, I'm talking about this. Like, if it's a real emergency, you go to the ER or Urgent Care. That's what insurance is for. But like, if you think he's got strep, you pay for the doctor visit and some meds. Like, you think health insurance is somehow magically different from other insurance because that's how you've been conditioned to consume it. Only it didn't used to be this way, and doesn't need to be this way.

Anyway, got lots of errands to do today. Gotta go get an oil change. Not really sure how much it will cost - that's for the insurance to figure out. Also gotta finally fix that leaky faucet. I'll just hand my home insurance card to the plumber. Thankfully my employer provides good auto and home insurance for me or I'd never be able to afford the massive premiums. I wonder why this insurance is so damned expensive?!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 10:18:13 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »