Author Topic: "Obamacare"  (Read 323179 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: "Obamacare"
« Reply #2850 on: March 04, 2017, 04:35:56 PM »
I'd actually prefer that the subsidies - tax credits are still a subsidy - be phased out entirely. As Trump said in his speech, the best way to expand coverage is to make it less expensive. I'm hoping there was some significance to someone inserting that line into his speech.

I truly believe that allowing a truly free healthcare market will make insurance cheaper. Make insurance cheaper and you don't need the subsidies. I'm not saying we pull the rug out from everyone who is currently getting a subsidy, but I'd prefer them to be phased out.

A truly free healthcare market would make it cheaper for most people.  By severely rationing care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: March 04, 2017, 04:59:05 PM »
I'd actually prefer that the subsidies - tax credits are still a subsidy - be phased out entirely. As Trump said in his speech, the best way to expand coverage is to make it less expensive. I'm hoping there was some significance to someone inserting that line into his speech.

I truly believe that allowing a truly free healthcare market will make insurance cheaper. Make insurance cheaper and you don't need the subsidies. I'm not saying we pull the rug out from everyone who is currently getting a subsidy, but I'd prefer them to be phased out.

A truly free healthcare market would make it cheaper for most people.  By severely rationing care.

Yup that's what you see everywhere we have a free market - rationing. Bought a TV lately? Or food? Or damn near anything else?

You want rationing - take a look at Venezuela.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: March 04, 2017, 08:36:00 PM »
if the u.s. was serious about making health care cheaper, they would educate, or import, more health care workers.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: March 05, 2017, 11:11:10 AM »
I'd sign up

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: March 05, 2017, 11:11:44 AM »
Pay for my nursing school and I'll be right there kicking my classmates ass and finishing top of my class.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: March 05, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »
if the u.s. was serious about making health care cheaper, they would educate, or import, more health care workers.

There are incentives in place to drive the education of health professionals.  But, our (outdated) immigration policy focuses on reuniting families, not on prioritizing useful talent.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: March 05, 2017, 11:48:11 AM »

There are incentives in place to drive the education of health professionals.  But, our (outdated) immigration policy focuses on reuniting families, not on prioritizing useful talent.

I think we need classroom space more than incentives. And our immigration policy is very focused on prioritizing "useful talent".

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: March 05, 2017, 01:17:29 PM »
the ama actively works to limit the number of people accepted to med school and to make it difficult for foreign-educated doctors to be accredited to work in the united states.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: March 05, 2017, 01:19:38 PM »
Yeah I learned about that when House was interviewing 40 candidates. Eastern European woman had to go to med school again in the US to practice. That's BS

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: March 05, 2017, 01:37:19 PM »

Yup that's what you see everywhere we have a free market - rationing. Bought a TV lately? Or food? Or damn near anything else?

You want rationing - take a look at Venezuela.

Venezuela is no doubt a mess but largely because they made a number of promises and policy decisions as a petrol state based on $100 bbl's

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: March 07, 2017, 09:27:30 AM »
There are some things to like about the AHCA, but ultimately it needs serious improvement (and that is unlikely to happen).

President Trump said during his address to Congress that they key to making health insurance more accessible is to make it more affordable. That was absolutely right. But I'm not reading anything about this law that fixes the two biggest drivers of premiums: minimum coverage mandates and guaranteed issue.

You abolish the minimum coverage mandates by allowing the purchase of insurance across state lines. But that's not in this bill, as far as I can tell (despite the express promise of damn near every Republican). As for guaranteed issue - requiring insurers to insure people with preexisting conditions - the AHCA preserves it. As a disincentive, it allows a 30% premium increase - for one year - for people who let their coverage lapse. That's not a strong enough incentive to encourage people to maintain continuous coverage, and it's not going to raise nearly enough money to prevent the continuing rise in premiums from insuring sick people.

So while this is a marginal improvement over Obamacare, it falls far short of the reform we need. And it's unlikely to be improved much at all. The GOP strategy appears to be to craft a compromise bill that they can push through by a bare majority. As a result, it contains things that both conservatives and moderates hate. So this thing either blows up and we're stuck with Obamacare, or we get something only marginally better than Obamacare which the GOP now owns. That's an easy choice but not a very exciting one.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:31:12 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: March 07, 2017, 09:40:35 AM »
7 years to come up with a replacement and it's like they wrote it up over the weekend.

No ideas from Trumpublicans. It's kind of amazing how little they can get done. It's almost like they give no fucks about anyone that isn't related to them.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: March 07, 2017, 11:48:19 AM »
7 years to come up with a replacement and it's like they wrote it up over the weekend.

No ideas from Trumpublicans. It's kind of amazing how little they can get done. It's almost like they give no fucks about anyone that isn't related to them.

There isn't much they can do, obamacare is fairly popular and they know it
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #2863 on: March 07, 2017, 12:36:41 PM »
BREAKING NEWS, libtards are upset Republicans are fixing broken down obamacare! Coping mechanisms may include: butt hurt, unbridled outrage, irrational and illogical commentary, increased levels of delusion and denial, and false statements.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: March 07, 2017, 01:07:53 PM »
Trumpublican healthcare: give up your iphone and you can afford our healthcare*

*only valid if you are paying $900/mo for your iphone

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2865 on: March 07, 2017, 01:43:05 PM »
BREAKING NEWS, libtards are upset Republicans are fixing broken down obamacare! Coping mechanisms may include: butt hurt, unbridled outrage, irrational and illogical commentary, increased levels of delusion and denial, and false statements.

if fixed then great

no butthurt here

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: March 07, 2017, 01:54:25 PM »
watching the press briefing I love the talking point that somehow by having only 60 some odd pages in the health bill it is inherently better

Spicer literally took time to say there plan was big ours is much smaller.

:confused:

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: March 07, 2017, 02:01:19 PM »
The 30% premium penalty thing is laughably dumb.  That is an incredibly small price to pay in the event that a person develops a serious condition.  The whole effing point was to try and force as many people as possible to get health insurance. They took Obamacare and made it worse.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: March 07, 2017, 02:10:16 PM »
Trumpublican healthcare: give up your iphone and you can afford our healthcare*

*only valid if you are paying $900/mo for your iphone

Yeah, pretty clear Jason Chaffetz has no idea how much health insurance costs.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: March 07, 2017, 02:16:25 PM »
oh man keeps touching/referring to size of piles of paper

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: March 07, 2017, 02:25:12 PM »
KS really effed up by not expanding medicare huh

:frown:

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: March 07, 2017, 02:35:11 PM »
I know nothing about what makes good / bad healthcare...seem to me a civilized gov't plan would do the following:

- ensure all Americans could be covered
- no lifetime maximums
- coverage basic life events
- Use whatever doc/hospital/etc you want
- all at an affordable price

Note:  All of these things probably aren't going to happen if you cater to all the health insurance companies retain every bit of profits they can.

Offline Woogy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: March 07, 2017, 03:47:37 PM »
I know nothing about what makes good / bad healthcare...seem to me a civilized gov't plan would do the following:

- ensure all Americans could be covered
- no lifetime maximums
- coverage basic life events
- Use whatever doc/hospital/etc you want
- all at an affordable price

Note:  All of these things probably aren't going to happen if you cater to all the health insurance companies retain every bit of profits they can.

Its not so much the insurance companies, per se, as they're basically a pass through that skims a percentage for administration, reserves, and profits.  You can't subsidize the demand side and ignore the cost side (providers/pharma) and expect the system to not get out of whack.  Its essentially the student loan/college cost increases problem except infinitely larger and more complex. 

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: March 07, 2017, 05:33:56 PM »

There isn't much they can do, obamacare is fairly popular and they know it

Yeah it's about 50/50 for and against, largely along political lines, which is amazingly low for an entitlement. Of the people surveyed who are actually on Obamacare, satisfaction is abysmal. Something like 5-1 disapproval.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: March 07, 2017, 05:58:04 PM »
People have like a 5-1 disapproval of insurance before the aca so that doesn't really mean anything
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite