Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 378043 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
https://twitter.com/AP/status/1534340180227805184?t=FSnPYNHjU-L9fWPw66pPBg&s=19
Impressed by horses and riders on pavement.  We used to move cattle on black top highway a couple times a year.

I always pushed the cattle so got to shut the gate then catch up.  I thought I could trot/gallop a little to catch up. 

I dont know if the horse shoes were new or worn out, but when I put on the brakes old Red started sliding like he was on a sheet of ice.

Luckily we stayed upright.  Dad had told me to give a horse the reins so he could use his head and neck to recover.  Pretty sure I just let go and grabbed the saddle horn.

Always thought my cowboy failings would make a good comical book of short stories.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
i always wondered how the center pivot irrigation stuff worked.  anyone know how the little systems on wheels that they use in the intermountain west/mormon country work?

feel bad for that poor cow getting dropped on pavement like that.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i always wondered how the center pivot irrigation stuff worked.  anyone know how the little systems on wheels that they use in the intermountain west/mormon country work?

Those things are gosh darn adorable and all over out west. I've only seen them used on hayfields.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
They use a lot less water than flood irrigation.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
https://nebraskaexaminer.com/2022/05/02/proposal-to-build-states-largest-feedlot-hits-snag-but-now-headed-for-another-chance/

There was a time when something named Blackshirt Feeders LP would have passed with no objections?

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
https://nebraskaexaminer.com/2022/05/02/proposal-to-build-states-largest-feedlot-hits-snag-but-now-headed-for-another-chance/

There was a time when something named Blackshirt Feeders LP would have passed with no objections?

Tom

I have no idea about how much water a 100,000 head feedlot needs but what are they gonna do for water in 20/30 years?

"The project still has some hurdles. It needs to obtain some nearby irrigated farm ground and “retire” at least six center-pivot irrigation systems to obtain enough water to supply the feedlot. The Upper Republican Natural Resources District would have to approve such a water swap."

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile

Those things are gosh darn adorable and all over out west. I've only seen them used on hayfields.

It's super crazy how you really only see those west of the rockies
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

It's super crazy how you really only see those west of the rockies

The one in the picture was actually near McCook NE that I saw when I was pheasant hunting last year. It was a small field of probably like 40-60 acres close to the republican river. 

But to your point the only reason I took a picture of it was because in my mind I was thinking "WTF, I thought these only existed in the mountain west"

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Tom

I have no idea about how much water a 100,000 head feedlot needs but what are they gonna do for water in 20/30 years?

"The project still has some hurdles. It needs to obtain some nearby irrigated farm ground and “retire” at least six center-pivot irrigation systems to obtain enough water to supply the feedlot. The Upper Republican Natural Resources District would have to approve such a water swap."

bioengineered beef that require less water, like gmo crops. 20/30 years is like a million years irl.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile

Tom

bioengineered beef that require less water, like gmo crops. 20/30 years is like a million years irl.
They don't mess around with water shenanigans in the Republican compact.

I was talking to one of my buds who is a corn producer the other day and I learned that it takes (based on his calculations) 3000 gal of water to grow one bushel of corn. (Takes about 150 corn plants to grow a bushel of corn). That is a staggering amount of water.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Twitter has 3000 SW kansas dead cows from mysterious causes.  SD, I need the conspiracies STAT

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Twitter has 3000 SW kansas dead cows from mysterious causes.  SD, I need the conspiracies STAT
Could be a new string of bovine sex mutilation cases perhaps?

https://www.hppr.org/hppr-people-communities/2016-01-15/for-50-years-police-sheriffs-and-the-fbi-have-been-tracking-cattle-mutilations-across-kansas

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
probably because it’s just hot AF. Cows are extraordinarily pud when it comes to weather. Gotta get them water and shade. There is very little of either in SW KS. Also in the last 20’ish years cow farmers got really into all black cows.

there will sometimes be outbreaks of diseases that will roll through a herd too. sometimes one starts and you have to put the rest down to stop the spread. pretty bad stuff.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
there is zero reputable sources reporting this.

Going to need Dax to get to the bottom of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
probably because it’s just hot AF. Cows are extraordinarily pud when it comes to weather. Gotta get them water and shade. There is very little of either in SW KS. Also in the last 20’ish years cow farmers got really into all black cows.

there will sometimes be outbreaks of diseases that will roll through a herd too. sometimes one starts and you have to put the rest down to stop the spread. pretty bad stuff.
Great summary of the ways that heat stresses cattle - they to to the feedlot to get covered in a layer of fat that makes it hard for them to dissipate heat. Their digestion generates more heat. They need to release heat from their cow bodies at night and they cannot do that if it stays hot and humid all night. Pretty wild.

https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/news/article/2022/06/14/heat-stress-kills-estimated-10-000

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Great summary of the ways that heat stresses cattle - they to to the feedlot to get covered in a layer of fat that makes it hard for them to dissipate heat. Their digestion generates more heat. They need to release heat from their cow bodies at night and they cannot do that if it stays hot and humid all night. Pretty wild.

https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/news/article/2022/06/14/heat-stress-kills-estimated-10-000

I never hear about Greg Judy losing cattle due to heat stress.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Did they die FROM the heat? Or WITH the heat?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

you are going to get the farming thread pitted

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

you are going to get the farming thread pitted
Hey, I’m just asking questions

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Of course bill gates wants Meade county cows to die.  It makes perfect sense for his agenda

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Tom

They don't mess around with water shenanigans in the Republican compact.

I was talking to one of my buds who is a corn producer the other day and I learned that it takes (based on his calculations) 3000 gal of water to grow one bushel of corn. (Takes about 150 corn plants to grow a bushel of corn). That is a staggering amount of water.
Sandstone, I learned something today. Thank you.

I did the math for NEKS.  Probably other factors like run off, time of year, etc. to get to the 3k gal per bu.

Tom