Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 379065 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4475 on: January 10, 2022, 12:04:28 PM »
cat ranch never ceases to amaze me
The cats are living good. I always put my pheasants in the garage fridge until I clean them before I leave. Yesterday I either didn't close the door all the way or the tail feathers were sticking out and a cat was able to open the door.

It dragged a pheasant out and devoured all the breast meat sometime between 1pm and 4pm.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4476 on: January 10, 2022, 12:17:42 PM »
Man that bird was dining good on milo it looks like
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: January 10, 2022, 12:44:54 PM »
I remember cleaning pheasants as playing with a feathery milo bomb.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: January 10, 2022, 08:49:32 PM »
I remember cleaning pheasants as playing with a feathery milo bomb.

Milo is also very tasty to deer.  They will destroy a milo field.  Also, deer that eat in the milo fields are tasty themselves.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: January 16, 2022, 04:55:55 PM »
https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/equipment/article/2022/01/13/north-dakota-farm-sues-john-deere

What will happen first... farmers get the ability to work on their equipment/software, or the farmer gets eliminated by autonomous equipment?

I know that's not the real question, and I don't want to risk having the best thread on goEMAW ending up in the pit.

The bro inlaw plants with GPS steering. Just sits in the seat once the field is selected.  We watched a demo on the Kinze tour 2 years ago where the tractor and grain cart will follow the combine around the field.

Would love to hear what the real farmers in here are experiencing.

Does autonomous cost less than having a son?  Glad that question was never posed to my dad;)  I suspect the robot would remember to avoid the wet hole on south end of the back bottom field.  16 yo Tom couldn't.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: January 16, 2022, 05:49:44 PM »
https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/equipment/article/2022/01/13/north-dakota-farm-sues-john-deere

What will happen first... farmers get the ability to work on their equipment/software, or the farmer gets eliminated by autonomous equipment?

I know that's not the real question, and I don't want to risk having the best thread on goEMAW ending up in the pit.

The bro inlaw plants with GPS steering. Just sits in the seat once the field is selected.  We watched a demo on the Kinze tour 2 years ago where the tractor and grain cart will follow the combine around the field.

Does autonomous cost less than having a son?  Glad that question was never posed to my dad;)  I suspect the robot would remember to avoid the wet hole on south end of the back bottom field.  16 yo Tom couldn't.

Tom

Question, do farmers have the same issue with other combine/implement manufacturers or is this just a Deere thing?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: January 16, 2022, 05:53:53 PM »
Also we now have some cows back out at the cat ranch including a couple juggalo's. My dad mentioned that "Nate" was going to put some cows out there at some point to graze some of the pasture and the harvested Milo.

Met Nate when I got in last Friday and he was checking the fence....by the time I got up and started pheasant hunting around 830/9 he had already moved 50 head of cattle to our property.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #4482 on: January 16, 2022, 06:50:12 PM »

Tom

Cathie Woods (and by awful decision making association, I) owns an absolute truckload of DE so I can tell you her vote is on the autonomous side. But good news for farmers, she’s mostly wrong 24/7/365 lately.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: January 16, 2022, 08:00:08 PM »

Tom

Cathie Woods (and by awful decision making association, I) owns an absolute truckload of DE so I can tell you her vote is on the autonomous side. But good news for farmers, she’s mostly wrong 24/7/365 lately.

? :dunno:

Offline BBF$$Kat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: January 16, 2022, 09:56:59 PM »

Tom

Deere stock I am assuming is what SD is referring to.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4485 on: January 16, 2022, 10:13:35 PM »

Tom

Deere stock I am assuming is what SD is referring to.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4479593-deere-and-co-update-and-doubling-down-due-to-fundamental-factors

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4486 on: January 16, 2022, 11:40:08 PM »
Here is an interesting article I ran across about a ranch/farming operation in Washington.

https://www.hcn.org/issues/53.12/ranching-betting-the-ranch

It's a really good article but the part that caught my attention was the son saying "I pissed it all away on the merch" trading cattle futures and being really bad at it. Basically the profit from a cow that goes to a rancher has been decreasing for years due to consolidation in the meat packing business and the kid got drunk on trading cattle futures, started a whole fraud thing then got even deeper in a deep hole and couldn't get out.

In the article they mentioned you had to have X amount of cattle before you can trade on the futures market. Does the SD fam or anyone else have enough cattle to shed light on how this works?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 12:30:10 AM by ben ji »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4487 on: January 17, 2022, 12:03:44 AM »
wild story.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4488 on: January 17, 2022, 07:18:37 AM »
Here is an interesting article I ran across about a ranch/farming operation in Washington.

It's a really good article but the part that caught my attention was the son saying "I pissed it all away on the merch" trading cattle futures and being really bad at it. Basically the profit from a cow that goes to a rancher has been decreasing for years due to consolidation in the meat packing business and the kid got drunk on trading cattle futures, started a whole fraud thing then got even deeper in a deep hole and couldn't get out.

In the article they mentioned you had to have X amount of cattle before you can trade on the futures market. Does the SD fam or anyone else have enough cattle to shed light on how this works?
sddad trades cattle and crop futures all the time. I don’t recall a day I have been around him when he wasn’t talking on the phone with his commodities guy at least once. I am not aware of any barrier to entry to doing it but I never asked obviously.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4489 on: January 17, 2022, 07:54:33 AM »
One of my favorite things about this thread is how we get to learn of YET ANOTHER sddad hustle every so often.

Offline BBF$$Kat

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4490 on: January 17, 2022, 01:16:35 PM »

sddad trades cattle and crop futures all the time. I don’t recall a day I have been around him when he wasn’t talking on the phone with his commodities guy at least once. I am not aware of any barrier to entry to doing it but I never asked obviously.
Ben ji-
Feeder cattle contracts trade in 50,000 lb contracts, live cattle trade in 40,000 lb contracts. If you are planning to sell 800 lb feeders steers after you have fed/grew them you would basically need 62 head that would be selling at the same time to match up with your contract that you would have in place for the month you will be selling in. If selling 1300 to 1350 lb fat/finished steers you would need approximately 30 head selling at once. You can place as many or as few of contracts you need to cover the cattle/pounds you will be selling. Assuming there is enough liquidity / volume interest in the contract month you are trading to get someone to offset your positions at the price you are trying to put a contract on at.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4491 on: January 17, 2022, 04:09:35 PM »
SD's dad is most likely the reason for Mr. Dave's sharp business sense.  :cheers:

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4492 on: January 17, 2022, 04:46:36 PM »
Benji, pretty much anyone that can meet and maintain the account minimums can trade futures, cattle or otherwise.  Some of the author’s assertions sound like a bad episode of Yellowstone.  If you want more details, given I am off today, I thought I would expand on the article.  Otherwise, stop here.

I know this is overkill and not the question Benji asked, but after working in the industry for years to see things so poorly explained in articles like this just frustrate me to no end.

This article is a hot mess, IMHO.  The author mentions the following:
System is rigged in favor of big meat over ranchers
Volatility of the pandemic created historically bad prices for ranchers
Ranchers don’t get their fair share of the boxed beef dollar
Formula contract pricing reduces competition and price transparency for ranchers
Only speculators contribute to futures price increases for cattle (just LOL)

If you want to write that article, then write that article.  There are hundreds of them out there.  Not going to debate any of those positions here, but I do question how what happened to the Easterday Ranch relates to any of the above points.

Easterday was not some struggling rancher who lost grandpa’s 160 acres the family had owned since the 1880’s.  It was one of the largest, most diversified farming operations in the PNW.  Given its size and longevity, I suspect Easterday was a very viable operation thru good times and bad. 

Outside of Cody being the antithesis to Hillary Clinton’s cattle futures trading experience the explanation of how cattle futures work is just terrible.

LC futures- Live Cattle futures, contract size 40,000 lbs
Roughly 30-35 head of fat cattle weighing 1200-1250 lbs ready for slaughter.  Basically a “pot load” of cattle in the shiny, aluminum, double decked (pot belly) cattle trailers on the highway.  Actually, not shiny, but covered in runny, corn laden cattle crap.

FC futures- Feeder Cattle futures, contract size 50,000 lbs
60-65 head of feeder cattle weighing 700-750 ready for the feedlot to be fattened for the kill (see above).  Again, this is about a truck load.  Note if you have 65-70 head to load you can damn sure bet SD dad or Tom dad would get those boys on the truck with a note to the driver to avoid the KDOT scale house on the way to the feedlot.

The author mentions only buying a futures contract from a “stockbroker.”  You buy AND SELL futures contracts, and you do it on margin.  Probably like $1,500 will allow you to buy or sell a contract worth $50-60,000.  If the price goes in your favor you build equity.  If the price moves against you then a margin call requires you to put in more money.  See the boys in the investing thread if any questions.

Basic Hedge example using their numbers:

This is highly simplified ignoring basis (differences between futures and cash price, discounts, delivery periods, etc).  It even ignores the fact you can hedge the feed costs (second biggest expense next to the animal) using grain futures.

Buy feeders to put on feed with a breakeven of $1.30.  You SELL futures contract for $1.34 to lock in the $.04 margin. 

Cattle are fat and cash/futures are at $1.50 (prices go up)
Sell cash cattle for $1.50 - $1.30 breakeven you make $0.20 on cash
BUY back futures at $1.50 - $1.34 original sale you lose $0.16 on futures*
Net you made your $0.04 margin

*note must meet margin calls to keep your short sale to end of the trade

Cattle are fat and cash/futures are at $1.20 (prices go down)
Sell cash cattle for $1.20 - $1.30 breakeven you lose $0.10 on cash
BUY back futures at $1.20 - $1.34 original sale you make $0.14 on futures
Net you made your $0.04 margin

Cody was not hedging in any sense of the word.  My guess is he was putting on a “Texas hedge.”  He was long cash cattle and probably long cattle futures in the hopes of doubling up.  Bottom line he was really bad at speculative trading of cattle futures.  He had/has a serious gambling addiction.  He could have as easily been losing millions at a casino.

Yes the cattle sector has went thru some very tough times.  Ranchers and farmers are honest, hard working folk.  However, they are human and prone to greed and corruption just like everyone else.  I just feel like maybe that’s more of the story here.

The author also states futures and scale are the only way to survive in the cattle industry.  For the subsidy crowd here USDA offers multiple programs for price protection in the livestock sector.  There are other ways to manage the risk outside of futures.

https://www.rma.usda.gov/Policy-and-Procedure/Insurance-Plans/Livestock-Insurance-Plans

Tom

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4493 on: January 17, 2022, 05:07:35 PM »
Tom do farmers watch that farm futures show on pbs at like 5 am?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4494 on: January 17, 2022, 06:14:10 PM »

sd dad just tracks that stuff on his phone like you and I trading stonks

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4495 on: January 17, 2022, 06:37:30 PM »
The technically averse just listen to the markets at noon before Paul Harvey while they are eating a bologna sandwich.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4496 on: January 18, 2022, 12:55:50 AM »

sd dad just tracks that stuff on his phone like you and I trading stonks
:dunno:

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4497 on: January 18, 2022, 08:29:37 AM »

https://www.pbs.org/show/market-market/

Used to watch this pretty regularly, but it was a Friday evening watch as i recall.

Tom

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4498 on: January 18, 2022, 08:43:59 AM »
The technically averse just listen to the markets at noon before Paul Harvey while they are eating a bologna sandwich.
I don’t think anyone does this anymore. I know shitloads of farmers and they are on avg more technically savvy than the average human I know all else equal.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4499 on: January 18, 2022, 03:32:27 PM »
I don’t think anyone does this anymore. I know shitloads of farmers and they are on avg more technically savvy than the average human I know all else equal.
Wouldn't necessarily argue this, but how available is internet service/signal vs AM radio in bumfuck SW Kansas?