Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 378071 times)

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
I don’t know if everyone is aware ITT but jackrabbits are rough ridin' giant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in my younger years, we used to hunt rabbits.  When we got a Jack we would give it to the dogs, cause they taste like crap.  Cottontails are much better tasting, but can only hunt during cold weather.  This is due to some disease they can carry in warm weather, but kills them in cold weather.

The disease is Tularemia/Rabbit Fever.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
I don’t know if everyone is aware ITT but jackrabbits are rough ridin' giant.

Back in my younger years, we used to hunt rabbits.  When we got a Jack we would give it to the dogs, cause they taste like crap.  Cottontails are much better tasting, but can only hunt during cold weather.  This is due to some disease they can carry in warm weather, but kills them in cold weather.

The disease is Tularemia/Rabbit Fever.

Wild searching for carnivorous rodents after reading about jackrabbits, I ran across these lil killers!

Grasshopper mouse range is said to include western Kansas! Any cow, goat or plant farmers here ever came across these things?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
holy crap those mice are scary

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
i've trapped some.  southern grasshopper mice, not the northern grasshopper mice found in kansas, but pretty similar.

cute things, but nasty.  their crap is soft and smears all over, instead of the hard dry crap most rodents pop out.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
When you grab onto a round bail and pick it up with a loader it is guaranteed that no less than 20 rodents of different shapes and sizes will go running out from under where it was.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So if you love capturing mice and rats and voles (?) and other ones I can help out there

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
So if you love capturing mice and rats and voles (?) and other ones I can help out there

I'm bored AF out here so I've been reading the wikipedia pages for all the animals I see and it turn out all the "mice" that were living in the dead logs we cut up were actually voles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_vole

My brother hadn't moved his car in 5 days and when he did one jumped out of his wheel well area and just sat there staring at us. Would try and hide in the buffalo grass but this was in the mowed portion of the yard so it did not work very well. They are not smart creatures.

Dam cats need to start earning their keep.

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
If you are interested Kansas has a record of all brands registered with the state and you can look up old timey brands from your ancestors. I randomly found a link to the "brand book" from the 80's a couple of months ago but don't have it on hand.

Also I just noticed today that the chimney of our farmhouse has the first letter of our last name up at the top of it.
I ordered ours from the state a few years ago.  They sent the original.   On  the back was each renewal date.

Somewhere along the way the iron got lost.  I wish I still had that.

Tom
Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Well this was a neat little thing to find. Used the 1941 brand book to find both of my great granddads' brands. Ol' Great Granddad WonderMeal had the coolest brand in Meade Co.

Tom and other beef magnates--is there any benefit to branding a cow in one part of the body vs. another? I'm guessing you always put the brand in the same place so that the N-quarter-circle in Spearville isn't confused with the N-quarter-circle in Medicine Lodge, but like...is it better or easier to brand a cow on the shoulder vs. the ribs?

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
If you are interested Kansas has a record of all brands registered with the state and you can look up old timey brands from your ancestors. I randomly found a link to the "brand book" from the 80's a couple of months ago but don't have it on hand.

Also I just noticed today that the chimney of our farmhouse has the first letter of our last name up at the top of it.
I ordered ours from the state a few years ago.  They sent the original.   On  the back was each renewal date.

Somewhere along the way the iron got lost.  I wish I still had that.

Tom

Well this was a neat little thing to find. Used the 1941 brand book to find both of my great granddads' brands. Ol' Great Granddad WonderMeal had the coolest brand in Meade Co.

Tom and other beef magnates--is there any benefit to branding a cow in one part of the body vs. another? I'm guessing you always put the brand in the same place so that the N-quarter-circle in Spearville isn't confused with the N-quarter-circle in Medicine Lodge, but like...is it better or easier to brand a cow on the shoulder vs. the ribs?
Once they're in the chute branding location not an issue.  We had a packer buyer tell us once our brand on the ribs pretty much ruined that half of the hide.  Being a cow for a minute I would prefer a shoulder or butt brand over getting slapped on the ribs with a hot iron.

Tom

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile

I'm bored AF out here so I've been reading the wikipedia pages for all the animals I see and it turn out all the "mice" that were living in the dead logs we cut up were actually voles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_vole

My brother hadn't moved his car in 5 days and when he did one jumped out of his wheel well area and just sat there staring at us. Would try and hide in the buffalo grass but this was in the mowed portion of the yard so it did not work very well. They are not smart creatures.

Dam cats need to start earning their keep.

Not as long as you feed them.  Cats don't hunt unless they're hungry.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #2585 on: April 10, 2020, 07:06:50 AM »
Yeah they do. We had a well fed female farm cat that would kill full gown rabbits about once a week. She’d come dragging it up to the yard like “look how rough ridin' sick of a hunter I am. Holy crap”

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Watching her stalk one was like National Geographic lion hunt footage. Just tiny little movements of one paw and stop motionless. She’d work her way up there for like 10 minutes and then go jump on it by the neck and roll it over. Was pretty cool irl.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My brother has never welded anything before but is attempting to weld the steering column thingy back onto his golf cart.

The Welder in the garage is old as crap but still works, just gotta watch out for the frayed cables!

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
Trim 3:16

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Making progress!

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Live action shot, this might actually work!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Making progress!

lmao, post pics of the bead for some poster intimidation bead shaming

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #2592 on: April 10, 2020, 03:00:04 PM »
Also old man sd is probably the greatest welder that ever lived for being 100% farm taught. I am, by comparison, the worst.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Here is the "bead" (just below center of photo) although my brother said the weld stick(?) Was old so you couldnt get a continuous arc, had to use dabs.

The weld worked tho and the cart is now operational again.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
And its broke again, will have to get some new weld sticks and try again.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Ugly welding is pud af. Pretty welding is a work of art
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ugly welding is pud af. Pretty welding is a work of art

We are just hoping for operational welding

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Are those welder connections as rusty as they look? :sdeek:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Ugly can be very functional
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Are those welder connections as rusty as they look? :sdeek:

Are you talking about the connections from the cables coming out of the welder? Because yeah, that is exposed wire.