Author Topic: we had _____ and gave it away  (Read 17313 times)

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: we had _____ and gave it away
« Reply #75 on: December 17, 2012, 06:54:57 PM »
even after Currie's fiasco I think the right hire could have kept the program from sinking into apathy

I think it's 25% because Currie is a dumb eff that hates K-State and 75% that oscar is a super loser

Online kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: we had _____ and gave it away
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2012, 07:31:24 PM »
Morbid curiosity, if you had to choose just one of these two choices, which is the biggest reason why these things listed in this thread are gone: because Frank is gone, or because oscar is here?
oscar.  Most expect his tenure here to resemble his at Illinois.  We assumed he would have a solid team for the first few years and slowly drop into mediocrity.  When you are not doing well, and have very little hope for improvement, it's really hard to get excited at all.

Offline O-town Kat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2012, 08:10:16 PM »
Morbid curiosity, if you had to choose just one of these two choices, which is the biggest reason why these things listed in this thread are gone: because Frank is gone, or because oscar is here?
oscar.  Think many thought Franks run could end abruptly.  This is already unwatchable.  You can also kiss the residual revenue goodbye from walk-up type fans who embraced an identity/brand.  Proof will be in the NYE game attendance this year.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2012, 11:01:49 AM »
Frank being gone wasn't necessarily the end of the world, but with basketball in as good of shape as it had been in a long time, we wasted an opportunity to move forward.

We had an opportunity and gave it away

And CC, I know that we are probably over reactionary, but the crowds in Bram can confirm that we are not in the minority.

Gate numbers are very similar this year to gate numbers last year. Opponents in Bramlage have been complete dogshit in the noncon for the last few years, that impacts attendance more than anything. Few people drive from an hour+ away to see USC-Upstate on a Tuesday night or whatever, regardless of who the coach is.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Re: we had _____ and gave it away
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2012, 11:03:25 AM »
his failure to retain Frank is far, far worse than his failure to hire a coach that could maintain momentum.

Frank was leaving no matter what, regardless of whatever effort Currie or anyone else could have put forth.

Frank sank his own ship.

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2012, 11:05:12 AM »
Frank being gone wasn't necessarily the end of the world, but with basketball in as good of shape as it had been in a long time, we wasted an opportunity to move forward.

And CC, I know that we are probably over reactionary, but the crowds in Bram can confirm that we are not in the minority.

Gate numbers are very similar this year to gate numbers last year.

Will be interested to see the #'s after conference play

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2012, 11:08:24 AM »

That will be a better comparison. Obv it will matter if the team is winning, but actual butts in seats will be interesting to see in meat of conf play. Thing to remember is that tickets sold is roughly where it was last year for all remaining games. If this year goes poorly and next year's home noncon slate is this bad, I think you'll start to see a real noticeable drop in season tickets. That hasn't happened this year.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2012, 11:12:13 AM »

That will be a better comparison. Obv it will matter if the team is winning, but actual butts in seats will be interesting to see in meat of conf play. Thing to remember is that tickets sold is roughly where it was last year for all remaining games. If this year goes poorly and next year's home noncon slate is this bad, I think you'll start to see a real noticeable drop in season tickets. That hasn't happened this year.

How does it compare to Jake's last year?

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2012, 11:14:35 AM »

How does it compare to Jake's last year?

Very similar, I think. Don't have #s in front of me.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2012, 11:18:00 AM »
Give oscar time. He'll get those gate #'s down where they belong. It's not his fault there is still some residual interest in the program because of what Frank built.  No one said he was going to be able to burn this thing to the ground overnight. It's going to be a slow process. Let's all have a little patience.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2012, 11:34:42 AM »
Give oscar time. He'll get those gate #'s down where they belong. It's not his fault there is still some residual interest in the program because of what Frank built.  No one said he was going to be able to burn this thing to the ground overnight. It's going to be a slow process. Let's all have a little patience.
:lol:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: we had _____ and gave it away
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2012, 11:36:44 AM »
his failure to retain Frank is far, far worse than his failure to hire a coach that could maintain momentum.

Frank was leaving no matter what, regardless of whatever effort Currie or anyone else could have put forth.

Frank sank his own ship.

Yeah, you've alluded to this before, and I don't believe you at all. Even  if it really did get to that point, it's still a failure on Currie's part for allowing such a situation to arise.

You do know Frank is getting paid $2 million to coach basketball, right? And that EVERYONE on his staff loyally followed him? That's a pretty impressive ship sinking.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 11:41:05 AM by michigancat »

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2012, 11:39:37 AM »
Hopefully at least it was because he called Currie a dickbreathed loser to his face every time he spoke with him

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2012, 11:45:56 AM »

Frank sank his own ship.

Yeah, you've alluded to this before, and I don't believe you at all. Even  if it really did get to that point, it's still a failure on Currie's part for allowing such a situation to arise.

You do know Frank is getting paid $2 million to coach basketball, right? And that EVERYONE on his staff loyally followed him? That's a pretty impressive ship sinking.

Not sure what you don't believe... He was telling staff members in January that he was gone. Any job that opened after the season he was going to take, it just happened to be USC.

It's USC's choice to pay him what they pay him. Not surprised at all his staff went with him, they are very loyal to each other. Doesn't change the fact that he wasn't going to coach at K-State this year, and it wasn't Currie's actions or inactions that created that situation.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2012, 11:48:47 AM »

that's a good question actually. really a tough choice for me, because there seems to be a decent amount of information out there to suggest that frank's leaving was not his choice. that makes me pretty upset that he's gone and almost makes me want to chose that one.

i'd still have to go with oscar though. never in history has a basketball team done as well as kstate has for a decent stretch of time and then gone out and hired a guy that just got fired from a similar school that did much worse during the same course of time. just unexplainable really. i mean look at the coach of the school that we're playing tonight. he had a similar run while he was at inidiana. really good first year. national championship runner up the second year. then couldn't sustain it. did a major school go out and hire him immediately after indiana fired him? no. he went six years without a job before finally getting back into coaching and had to do it at UAB. weber is not good and the hiring of him was even worse. complete fail in every way possible.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Re: Re: we had _____ and gave it away
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »

Frank sank his own ship.

Not sure what you don't believe... He was telling staff members in January that he was gone. Any job that opened after the season he was going to take, it just happened to be USC.

It's USC's choice to pay him what they pay him. Not surprised at all his staff went with him, they are very loyal to each other. Doesn't change the fact that he wasn't going to coach at K-State this year, and it wasn't Currie's actions or inactions that created that situation.

Currie had nothing to do with Frank wanting to leave in January?

OK.

Offline bigwillie20

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
  • #FYJC #burnitdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2012, 11:51:12 AM »
I mean even if you want to give Currie a pass for having nothing to do with Frank, he still went out and hired a loser.  There are no excuses for that.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2012, 11:52:39 AM »
I don't believe that he was going to coach at K-State this year, but completely believe it was Currie's actions/inactions that created the situation.  Currie couldn't have kept him this off-season, but the terrible Currie/Frank relationship is what made that impossible.  Regardless, rehashing opinions on this same topic is not going to change anyones opinions at this point.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2012, 11:53:42 AM »
I think CC is confusing Currie and the JamSam receipt situation.  When CC hears us saying it's Currie's fault he thinks we mean the JamSam receipt situation that we blame Currie for, but really we are saying it's just Currie's fault in general.  That would explain why CC thinks that if Frank wanted to leave in January it must have nothing to do with Currie.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2012, 11:53:50 AM »

Frank sank his own ship.

people say stuff all the time though for a million different reasons and then never follow through. like seriously all the time. i've heard from a few people that at the end of the day, it wasn't frank's choice to stay or go. is that true? no idea but if it is then holy crap i hope he did something much worse than have a few choice words for will or tell people that he was leaving.

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 18, 2012, 11:55:01 AM »

Frank sank his own ship.

OK.

Had much much more to do with half the team transferring after the season. I know this board blames Currie for everything, but his relationship with Frank was not the main factor. They weren't BFFs, dont get me wrong, but it was workable.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2012, 11:56:37 AM »

Frank sank his own ship.

OK.

Had much much more to do with half the team transferring after the season. I know this board blames Currie for everything, but his relationship with Frank was not the main factor. They weren't BFFs, dont get me wrong, but it was workable.
The shitty half?

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »

Frank sank his own ship.

OK.

The shitty half?

We have a good half?

Offline captaincrap

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2012, 11:59:20 AM »
The shitty half?

Lots of projected starters. He was very worried about how that would make him look and how they would recruit in the future. He saw the writing on the wall.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 18, 2012, 11:59:59 AM »

Half the team was already planning on transferring in January?  Will must have really had the mutiny organized early.

Also, if it was known that Frank was leaving in January and we still ended up with oscar Weber, that is just a horrible job by Currie.

I got a guy on the other line about some white walls