Author Topic: Official 2013 Coaching Carousel (football edition)  (Read 169038 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Official 2013 Coaching Carousel (football edition)
« Reply #825 on: December 02, 2013, 09:55:55 PM »
didn't orgeron do something dumb at ole miss

He did funny stuff like ripping off his shirt and challenging players to fight on his very first day, but he was fired because of his w-l record

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 02, 2013, 09:56:33 PM »

Going 0-fer in conference and blowing a 14pt 4th quarter lead to Miss State? :dunno:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 02, 2013, 09:59:00 PM »
Stewart Mandel ?@slmandel 7m
RT @McMurphyESPN: Ed Orgeron "outraged" didn't receive USC job & resigns. OC Clay Helton expected to coach bowl, source told @ESPN

LOL, what a dork

How dare he be offended they hired a guy with a 34-29 record and less conference wins this season even though he had the luxury of crafting his own team. That dummy needs to know his place, right behind the legend Steve Sarkisian.

He can be offended without acting like a crybaby. Coaching through the bowl game could set him up with probably one of the best-paying assistant gigs in the country and would be a path that doesn't reinforce his reputation as a hot-headed whacko.

And, his record at Ole Miss IS worse than Sark's at Washington. It really isn't close.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 02, 2013, 09:59:37 PM »

He did funny stuff like ripping off his shirt and challenging players to fight on his very first day, but he was fired because of his w-l record

that's what I was remembering

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 02, 2013, 10:07:48 PM »
Rhodes will get fired next year. KSU, TCU, and UT are possibilities. Minimum of 3 max of 6.

Really?  Assuming no bowl game (5-7 or worse)?

Their schedule is brutal next season. Their home games are K-State, Baylor, OU, TT, and WVU. Their first 3 road games are at Iowa, at OSU, and at Texas. They don't play KU, WVU, and TCU until the end of the season and two of those 3 are onthe road. They open with hosting NDSU.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 02, 2013, 10:17:22 PM »
RT @McMurphyESPN: Ed Orgeron "outraged" didn't receive USC job & resigns. OC Clay Helton expected to coach bowl, source told @ESPN

LOL, what a dork

How dare he be offended they hired a guy with a 34-29 record and less conference wins this season even though he had the luxury of crafting his own team. That dummy needs to know his place, right behind the legend Steve Sarkisian.

He can be offended without acting like a crybaby. Coaching through the bowl game could set him up with probably one of the best-paying assistant gigs in the country and would be a path that doesn't reinforce his reputation as a hot-headed whacko.

And, his record at Ole Miss IS worse than Sark's at Washington. It really isn't close.

Crybaby and whacko? You were there, because the tweet said none of that. If he wants another job why would he stay for the bowl game? Why would he want to be an assistant for someone in the same job pool?

Of course I'm aware his record at Ole Miss is worse than Sark's is at UW. We are also both aware of the different challenges between those two jobs. I know what their record was when they were on somewhat equal footing, I'm aware of the small sample size.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #831 on: December 02, 2013, 10:19:32 PM »
Rhodes will get fired next year. KSU, TCU, and UT are possibilities. Minimum of 3 max of 6.

Their schedule is brutal next season. Their home games are K-State, Baylor, OU, TT, and WVU. Their first 3 road games are at Iowa, at OSU, and at Texas. They don't play KU, WVU, and TCU until the end of the season and two of those 3 are onthe road. They open with hosting NDSU.

Holy hell.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: December 02, 2013, 10:20:57 PM »
it's great having a good iowa state poster now  :eye:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 02, 2013, 10:25:15 PM »
it's great having a good iowa state poster now  :eye:

:curse: I like to fight, remember?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: December 02, 2013, 10:33:53 PM »

LOL, what a dork

Crybaby and whacko? You were there, because the tweet said none of that. If he wants another job why would he stay for the bowl game? Why would he want to be an assistant for someone in the same job pool?

Of course I'm aware his record at Ole Miss is worse than Sark's is at UW. We are also both aware of the different challenges between those two jobs. I know what their record was when they were on somewhat equal footing, I'm aware of the small sample size.

He would have no trouble looking for a job while he was coaching the bowl game.  Resigning immediately after not getting the job was very childish, I don't care how he really acted in the room.  He already had a reputation for being a loon. (This is not based on the tweet, I mean you alluded to it in this thread).

You could say Washington when Sark took over was a worse program than Ole Miss when Ed took over (although the SEC West is obviously more difficult than the Pac 12 North). Comparing their records this year only is hilarious and only a moron would take it into consideration.

Orgeron should push hard for the Washington job. Would they bite? Would you consider him as a replacement for Bill?

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: December 02, 2013, 10:35:17 PM »

Yowzers.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 02, 2013, 10:42:45 PM »
Man I said small sample size. So it seems our only issue is whether or not he should have quit when he did. Haden shouldn't have given him the choice, after he declined the assistant job he should have been let go. Not only is this bowl prep time but obviously its the most important month for recruiting, you can't have a lame duck around.

My logic may not make sense here but here goes. I'm not certain I would want him if I were the Washington AD but I think he would be an amazing fit here. Our program is on its feet, what we will need is a very energetic staff that will be well received by the Jayhawk Conference schools, that's Coach O. He is also a name that would give us some ESPN/CBS buzz which we need. I also think he is someone everyone will get behind, tucks would love him.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: December 02, 2013, 10:48:53 PM »

Man I said small sample size. So it seems our only issue is whether or not he should have quit when he did. Haden shouldn't have given him the choice, after he declined the assistant job he should have been let go. Not only is this bowl prep time but obviously its the most important month for recruiting, you can't have a lame duck around.

Didn't realize he refused to take an assistant position already. Kind of a hot-headed move, huh? :D

Agree that he should have been fired immediately after that happened.

My logic may not make sense here but here goes. I'm not certain I would want him if I were the Washington AD but I think he would be an amazing fit here. Our program is on its feet, what we will need is a very energetic staff that will be well received by the Jayhawk Conference schools, that's Coach O. He is also a name that would give us some ESPN/CBS buzz which we need. I also think he is someone everyone will get behind, tucks would love him.

:sdeek:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: December 02, 2013, 10:56:54 PM »
You can't fault him for not wanting to work under Sark. He had to work under Kiffin, he doesn't need to work under another unproven coach right now. Whether he becomes a head coach or an assistant in a more stable program he can't recruit out of that office. Not sure how he quit but leaving now was prudent.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: December 02, 2013, 11:13:40 PM »
You can't fault him for not wanting to work under Sark. He had to work under Kiffin, he doesn't need to work under another unproven coach right now. Whether he becomes a head coach or an assistant in a more stable program he can't recruit out of that office. Not sure how he quit but leaving now was prudent.

I really can't fault him for not wanting to work for Sark, and I don't think quitting will hurt his chances of finding a quality assistant gig.

However

An AD looking for a head coach may be scared off by the way he quit and appearance of recklessness and would be willing to let Ed coach the bowl if they really want him.

However

The more I think about it the more I think he probably already has a decent gig lined up, either as a head coach at a MWC or American-type school, or as an AHC/DC at an elite school for a proven coach.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: December 02, 2013, 11:19:34 PM »
Yeah. Wish it was here. He can go to FAU for a couple of years and then we'll grab him. My only thing with him and getting a job here in a few years is that he is already 51 years old.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: December 02, 2013, 11:21:30 PM »
Yeah. Wish it was here. He can go to FAU for a couple of years and then we'll grab him. My only thing with him and getting a job here in a few years is that he is already 51 years old.

A job or THE job?

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: December 02, 2013, 11:23:29 PM »
Despite Zenger saying Chaz will return, they need to say the hell with it and fire Chaz, then hire EOrgeron. That would be the sensible thing to do.

That said, I hope they keep Chaz.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: December 03, 2013, 07:32:50 AM »
I would be OK with Coach O.

Also, i think it looks bad he was all "I Love the kids! I love USC!"...when in reality it was "I love this job!"  I don't blame him though.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: December 03, 2013, 07:58:02 AM »
I would not be OK with O. He was fired for losing and would never in a million years be considered for USC job if he hadn't lucked into his situation. Give me a charismatic recruiter with juco connections I haven't heard of but hasn't dropped an 0-fer in conference play.

Offline Mr Bread

• We Gave You Bruce
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I've distressing news.
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: December 03, 2013, 10:10:56 AM »
Coach O stuff:

Starting in 1991, a series of personal problems began to surface for Orgeron: a local woman filed a restraining order against Orgeron, accusing him of repeatedly attacking her. In July 1992, Orgeron was arrested for his part in a bar fight in Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Orgeron acknowledged he had been intoxicated that night and had grown angry when not allowed back inside to retrieve his credit card. In October 1992, Orgeron took a leave of absence from the University of Miami coaching staff for personal reasons; the departure turned out to be a permanent one, however, and he was replaced by assistant coach Randy Shannon. Taking a respite from coaching, Orgeron worked on his personal life: the permanent injunction against him was eventually rescinded, and the felony second-degree battery charges he faced were dropped. He stayed with his parents in Larose, crediting his father for helping him get his life in order.

Orgeron returned to coaching in 1994, but as a volunteer linebackers coach at Nicholls State University. The following year, he moved from the south to the northeastern U.S., accepting a job with head coach Paul Pasqualoni's staff at Syracuse University, where he coached defensive line for three years. Orgeron credited Pasqualoni for giving him a second chance at major-college coaching (after his prior personal issues had damaged his 'hireability'), and, helping him develop as a coach on- and off-the-field.

My prescience is fully engorged.  It throbs with righteous accuracy.  I am sated.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: December 03, 2013, 10:27:04 AM »
he's basically bo pelini.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: December 03, 2013, 10:27:56 AM »
Also, turns out my bro in law had Carl Pelini as an English teacher in High School at Blue Valley.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: December 03, 2013, 10:31:02 AM »
Probably has proper use of "eff" down pat.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: December 03, 2013, 11:06:17 AM »
Coach O stuff:

Starting in 1991, a series of personal problems began to surface for Orgeron: a local woman filed a restraining order against Orgeron, accusing him of repeatedly attacking her. In July 1992, Orgeron was arrested for his part in a bar fight in Baton Rouge, Louisiana; Orgeron acknowledged he had been intoxicated that night and had grown angry when not allowed back inside to retrieve his credit card. In October 1992, Orgeron took a leave of absence from the University of Miami coaching staff for personal reasons; the departure turned out to be a permanent one, however, and he was replaced by assistant coach Randy Shannon. Taking a respite from coaching, Orgeron worked on his personal life: the permanent injunction against him was eventually rescinded, and the felony second-degree battery charges he faced were dropped. He stayed with his parents in Larose, crediting his father for helping him get his life in order.

Orgeron returned to coaching in 1994, but as a volunteer linebackers coach at Nicholls State University. The following year, he moved from the south to the northeastern U.S., accepting a job with head coach Paul Pasqualoni's staff at Syracuse University, where he coached defensive line for three years. Orgeron credited Pasqualoni for giving him a second chance at major-college coaching (after his prior personal issues had damaged his 'hireability'), and, helping him develop as a coach on- and off-the-field.

Like, I'd be all for this guy if he was fired for misconduct instead of his 3-21 SEC record. I just can't get over that little nugget.