Author Topic: Game of Thrones SHOW thread for people who are confused by the book thread  (Read 366808 times)

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
of course k-s-u-w wouldn't understand the gray concept of frenemies

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
so, back to arya and the hound.  somebody explain the story arch of that relationship.  I'm confused why her character just left him for dead instead of putting him out of his misery.  I mean, at first blush, the hound is a heartless eff face that takes helpless Arya "prisoner" for self gain.  but then, the show chooses to develop their characters and their relationship over an entire season.  by the end, the hound's character has developed into a likeable father figure and arya embraces him.  this development culminates with her mending his neck wound 'n such.   

and then, in the last episode when he's facing death, she's just like, ahh, eff off, robs him, and leaves him for dead. 

I guess it just shows that the hound had successfully molded her into a survivor, devoid of any moral fortitude (i.e. robbing/killing the guy who took them in). 

I dunno. I haven't read the books but I think metalhead's right in that some of the more emotional scenes from the book are coming off a little rough in the show. That scene felt weird and so have a few others. I mean, I think it was right for the show that she just left him there, but something felt off in the execution.

Just because a guy got you a horse does not make up for the fact that he killed your friend. Arya came to respect the Hound a bit, but that doesn't mean she still didn't want revenge.

yep that's why I said it made sense that she left him.

And yet, she cleaned up the wound on his neck instead of letting it fester. It's not consistent. Would have been GoT-esque for her to befriend her enemy, which is where things appeared to be going. The way it ended was just muddled.

jesus christ. this is not what i'm talking about. the grey-ness of GOT is one of the best things about it.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Arya: I'm not going to help you die. Screw you.

Hound: WTF? Just a couple of episodes ago you showed compassion by cleaning my wound that would have killed me just as painfully if it had festered!

Arya: I know, but now I hate you again. Maybe you did something off screen to make me change my mind. Whatever. Bye.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Simpleton confirmed
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
Arya was in total control of the Hound and was able to let him die on her terms. Quit over thinking it.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
Arya: I'm not going to help you die. Screw you.

Hound: WTF? Just a couple of episodes ago you showed compassion by cleaning my wound that would have killed me just as painfully if it had festered!

Arya: I know, but now I hate you again. Maybe you did something off screen to make me change my mind. Whatever. Bye.

What don't you understand about the fact that she was using him, you rough ridin' dunce?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Remember, K-S-U is the guy that made a list of life lessons and every one of them involved money. It's not surprising he only understands black and white.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Benja, I'm going to need you to take a minute to reflect on what you've done.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Benja, I'm going to need you to take a minute to reflect on what you've done.

instigated bbs conversation at all costs?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
I don't think Arya is yet to the point where she can kill out of anything but blind hate or true self-defense, therefore she didn't have the guts to kill the Hound.   :th_twocents:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don't think Arya is yet to the point where she can kill out of anything but blind hate or true self-defense, therefore she didn't have the guts to kill the Hound.   :th_twocents:

Wrong.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Wrong.

Compelling argument.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Wrong.

Compelling argument.

She's right though.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Wrong.

Compelling argument.

Did they do the thing in the show where she realizes she's wasting Jaqen's three deaths on insignificant people and that she needs to use them to improve her situation?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Wrong.

Compelling argument.

Arya specifically chose not to kill the Hound; it wasn't because she couldn't do it.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Wrong.

Compelling argument.

Did they do the thing in the show where she realizes she's wasting Jaqen's three deaths on insignificant people and that she needs to use them to improve her situation?

yeah but she didn't seem too bummed about it.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Wrong.

Compelling argument.

Arya specifically chose not to kill the Hound; it wasn't because she couldn't do it.

I'm just going off the books. Even with the benefit of a character's inner monologue, her motivations are far from clear, so it's certainly not a black/white issue, especially since Arya isn't very consistent with her actions as it is.  Later, she realizes she has no monies and regrets not killing him and robbing him.

This is the show thread and in the show she took his money and specifically did not kill him.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don't really understand your harping on the point of "specifically" not killing him.  It is a point of fact that she chose not to kill him, no one is arguing that.  What does it mean to "specifically" not kill him? Are you alluding to a specific motivation and, if so, what?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don't really understand your harping on the point of "specifically" not killing him.  It is a point of fact that she chose not to kill him, no one is arguing that.  What does it mean to "specifically" not kill him? Are you alluding to a specific motivation and, if so, what?

She specifically chose not to kill him, as in she made the distinct choice to not kill him. It wasn't just that she happened to not get the opportunity to kill him or that she couldn't make herself kill him. It was that she made the distinct, explicit, precise decision to leave him alive to suffer.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think she liked the Hound and I'm not sure if she had it in her to stick needle through his cold hound heart.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

She specifically chose not to kill him, as in she made the distinct choice to not kill him. It wasn't just that she happened to not get the opportunity to kill him or that she couldn't make herself kill him. It was that she made the distinct, explicit, precise decision to leave him alive to suffer.

Ok, so you're saying that it is clear that she chose to let him die more slowly and painfully out of spite?

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Arya is basically a sociopath focused solely on revenge at this point. She's like a 10 year old 'nam vet. She definitely left him to die.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i get why she didn't kill him.  I didn't get why she mended his neck (aka) showed compassion a few miles earlier in their journey. 

I think somebody explained that she was just using him?  meaning that she was just keeping him alive, using him as protection on her journey, self gain?  this makes sense to me.  if this is not the case, then the story was not executed properly. 

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
good rough ridin' grief.

Offline Benja

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
i get why she didn't kill him.  I didn't get why she mended his neck (aka) showed compassion a few miles earlier in their journey. 

I think somebody explained that she was just using him?  meaning that she was just keeping him alive, using him as protection on her journey, self gain?  this makes sense to me.  if this is not the case, then the story was not executed properly. 

they were both using each other. they recognized similar things in each other on their journey, but they were still using each other.