Author Topic: capitol riot  (Read 132899 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Re: capitol riot
« Reply #1850 on: January 06, 2022, 05:12:22 PM »
The corporatist scumbags clutching their pearls about a so called threat to democracy isn't hypocrisy but it sure is something.

it does kinda make sense that the far left on this board don't want to be overly hasty in throwing violent rejection of democratic outcomes as a legitimate expression of political power out with the bathwater.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1851 on: January 06, 2022, 05:29:48 PM »
The corporatist scumbags clutching their pearls about a so called threat to democracy isn't hypocrisy but it sure is something.

it does kinda make sense that the far left on this board don't want to be overly hasty in throwing violent rejection of democratic outcomes as a legitimate expression of political power out with the bathwater.
Anyone that thinks January 6 was some sort of “crisis for democracy” assumes our country’s politics were somehow not already in shambles.

And Mitt Romney and Chris Coons having to cower while an 80 IQ football coach tries to strategize with Trump is funny, you can’t make me be sad or mad about it sorry.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1852 on: January 06, 2022, 06:20:20 PM »
Blue lives don't matter to me, but I'm sure going to point out the hilarious hypocrisy of using a flag pole with a blue lives matter flag on it to beat the crap out of a cop.

The "blue lives matter" thing is going to get pretty convoluted once magas area all filled to their blue gills with colloidal silver.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1853 on: January 06, 2022, 06:22:01 PM »
You know why a coup could never succeed here? American Exceptionalism. We're just built different. Coups are for countries full of savages. We're far too smart and sophisticated for any of that nonsense. It could never, ever happen here.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #1854 on: January 06, 2022, 06:40:40 PM »
Blue lives don't matter to me, but I'm sure going to point out the hilarious hypocrisy of using a flag pole with a blue lives matter flag on it to beat the crap out of a cop.

The "blue lives matter" thing is going to get pretty convoluted once magas area all filled to their blue gills with colloidal silver.
Going to get confused with blueanon.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1855 on: January 06, 2022, 06:47:02 PM »
You know why a coup could never succeed here? American Exceptionalism. We're just built different. Coups are for countries full of savages. We're far too smart and sophisticated for any of that nonsense. It could never, ever happen here.
The CIA already killed Kennedy.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1856 on: January 06, 2022, 07:10:21 PM »

Going to get confused with blueanon.

:lol: Need the spiderman meme but with Tackleberry, a Na’vi, and a pak head all pointing at each other.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1857 on: January 06, 2022, 08:17:06 PM »
Anyone that thinks January 6 was some sort of “crisis for democracy” assumes our country’s politics were somehow not already in shambles.

And Mitt Romney and Chris Coons having to cower while an 80 IQ football coach tries to strategize with Trump is funny, you can’t make me be sad or mad about it sorry.

i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on if democracy still has any value if it can't be used to force people to pay for your kids.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1858 on: January 06, 2022, 08:54:08 PM »

And it makes sense that corporatist centrists would view what happened on January 6, 2021 more damaging to the democracy than the democracy being bastardized by things like gerrymandering, the electoral college, stripped voting rights, and our elections being up for the highest bidder with a virtual unlimited flood of corporate dollars allowed to influence elections.

I noticed when you talked about what should be the congressional priorities you didn't mention getting a voting rights bill passed. eff that building, it's a symbol for all that has gone wrong with our democracy, it's nothing more than a soulless office building with very little productivity.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1859 on: January 06, 2022, 08:58:27 PM »

i guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on if democracy still has any value if it can't be used to force people to pay for your kids.

Does democracy have value when the people within it don't have equal opportunity to participate in it, nor have equal representation in said democracy?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: January 06, 2022, 09:07:01 PM »
I don't understand, "well, things aren't the greatest now, so I don't really care if they get worse." Trying not to move backward is important to moving forward.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: January 06, 2022, 09:14:25 PM »
I don't understand, "well, things aren't the greatest now, so I don't really care if they get worse." Trying not to move backward is important to moving forward.

The problem with this is in the following year there has been literally zero changes to the way things are done, the way we govern, three language used by those who do govern. It's hard for me to take this seriously when the people directly effected by what happened didn't use the event to make even the smallest changes to what led to the event.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
capitol riot
« Reply #1862 on: January 06, 2022, 09:35:17 PM »

Does democracy have value when the people within it don't have equal opportunity to participate in it, nor have equal representation in said democracy?
I think the answer has to be yes. Starting with 100% true representative democracy and maintaining that for hundreds of years is some real fan fiction crap.

Our system has always allowed for incremental changes to push the scales off balance one way or the other. The thought of an American mob potentially murdering a decent chunk of elected officials is quite out of bounds IMHO.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: January 06, 2022, 09:38:35 PM »

I think the answer has to be yes. Starting with 100% true representative democracy and maintaining that for hundreds of years is some real fan fiction crap.

I started to type a version of this response but was like "meh, no one cares about me making this pedantic point, and it will add nothing to the conversation." But it's been top-of-mind after two days of Dems squawking about "our democracy." That said, a true democracy enables tyrants and populist charlatans.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: January 06, 2022, 09:45:23 PM »

The problem with this is in the following year there has been literally zero changes to the way things are done, the way we govern, three language used by those who do govern. It's hard for me to take this seriously when the people directly effected by what happened didn't use the event to make even the smallest changes to what led to the event.

I don't think it's accurate to say that there is no difference. Trump admin was doing its best to MAGAfy every policy. That effort would have continued had he still been in office.

I think the verdict is out on punishment for officials. Nixon's people got in trouble.

But what would really haved sucked is if we went down a path like Russia where Trump just didn't leave, kept kicking the can down the road, and after a while elections stopped mattering altogether.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: January 06, 2022, 09:52:35 PM »
#blueanon has to double and triple down on 1/6 to deflect from the total crap show occupying the Oval Office now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/04/biden-disapproval-rating-high-voters-blame-him-on-economy-cnbc-poll.html

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: January 06, 2022, 10:16:37 PM »
"Blame him on the economy" is interesting to me because never in my life has it been easier to get a job.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: January 06, 2022, 10:20:33 PM »
"Blame him on the economy" is interesting to me because never in my life has it been easier to get a job.

Yep, being able to get a job in one of the lowest labor participation rate if not the lowest labor participation rate eras since they started measuring that statistic is certainly the entire economy.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: January 06, 2022, 10:32:57 PM »
Lol. What a take by, Rage.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: January 06, 2022, 10:34:29 PM »
Rage, what do you do for work?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: January 06, 2022, 10:47:53 PM »
Turnover is pretty crazy right now all around. The inflation is causing people to chase other jobs for an increase in pay, while the companies are hurting due to the pandemic. crap will burst very soon. When I got my promo a few weeks ago, I was so proud of myself, but I also knew half of it was retaining talent during this crazy ass storm. I give it 1-2 years for this inflation to really kill a lot of companies and their bottom dollar, when companies are still trying to catch up through previous shutdowns, etc.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: January 06, 2022, 10:54:54 PM »
420seriouscat69, genuine question, you've had several posts in the last few months indicating that you think the recent job hopping and increased employee leverage is a bad thing. Why do you think it's bad?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: January 06, 2022, 11:01:12 PM »
I don’t think it’s a bad thing for employees. I’m happy for them, but it definitely effects the bottom line for companies overall. Paying more to retain talent, while profits are down. I want a job I can go to which I love and continue growing in said company, but covid is killing company projections overall. I honestly care about our shareholders not freaking out during this time.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: January 06, 2022, 11:11:20 PM »
We lost two employees in my department recently in the last two weeks and I’m covering so many job openings right now. I like the work, but I’m definitely split in what I can do right now for all of these openings. I just feel turnover is going to be a constant thing for the next couple of years and that effects a company a lot. Not sure how we can secure these new wages for individuals, when the bottom line is hurting. It’s a short term fix for sure.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 11:20:19 PM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: January 06, 2022, 11:18:20 PM »
Companies being desperate for talent and workers having more leverage than ever seems like it could be a bit of a positive also.