Author Topic: Why I hate losing to Butler  (Read 6855 times)

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Why I hate losing to Butler
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2010, 09:26:23 PM »
Please tell me the "lots of teams" with 2 draft picks in their starting 5 who are as defensively imposing as Butler.

I'll do that as soon as you tell me specifically what constitutes an imposing defense like Butler's, dumbass. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2010, 09:37:42 PM »
Please tell me the "lots of teams" with 2 draft picks in their starting 5 who are as defensively imposing as Butler.

I'll do that as soon as you tell me specifically what constitutes an imposing defense like Butler's, dumbass.  

What an intuitive question!  Thanks for spurring me to do some research.  Here, specifically, is evidence of Butler's imposing defense:

They have only given up 70 points one time all season, and it was in November!    :surprised:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2010, 09:47:44 PM »

Will do, try to follow.  Butler does four things very well. They limit possessions by slowing the game down, their perimeter defenders are good, they are sound defensive rebounders, and they are fantastic in transitional defense.

It is like a puzzle really, we'll start when they have the ball.  They run the shot clock way down, here's where the 2 NBAers are important, after they run it down they can still score because Hayward can be isoed, a matchup nightmare, and Mack can break down a defense and get in the middle of the defense.  Remember the 2 threes that driveway shooter hit against us?  Look at what set them up.

Okay so they have just scored, or they didn't, doesn't matter.  You want to get the ball up the court, well, they don't send more than 2 to the glass so there are already 3 or 4 defenders back, you have to now run a half court set.  As mentioned the guards led by Nored, conference defensive POY, are good.  The post defenders are either small, or dumb (Howard) so there is an advantage there, see Kelly, Curtis first half.  The issue is the on ball pressure does not allow you to enter the ball as much as you like.  So you get a shot up, they are very good at keeping their opponents off of the boards, they'll send everyone, not worried about getting the ball up the court quick.

So there it is Butler's formula, of course with any tourney run they have had luck, but there is a reason why they have held tourney opponents to 55 PPG.  Next year they won't have the shot maker/mismatch in Hayward so their puzzle will need to be reworked.  Pretty hard for a mid major to recover from losing a lottery pick, see Davidson without Steph Curry.

That lesson was free, I'll charge you from now on.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2010, 09:51:56 PM »
What a bunch of bullshit.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2010, 10:31:15 PM »
As I watch these games I keep expecting to see Tee Martin.  Tonight is making how we missed out on a chance at a NC only like I felt in 1998.  Granted, we would've had to win 2, but I can't help but watch and think we are better than any of the teams in Indy.

I think Duke or WVU would have beaten us.  Let's not forget that we started two players who not only are no help offensively, but actually are liabilities.

Yeah, Duke would destroy us.  Ken Pomeroy gets the last laugh this year.

WVU was better than us, too.