Author Topic: moving  (Read 40536 times)

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
Re: moving
« Reply #425 on: January 05, 2022, 12:34:37 PM »
Just booked an AirBnB in San Antonio for 6 weeks starting the end of January!  :billdance:

Either lots of stuff was already booked or something because it was trashy super cheap or mega expensive. I ended up getting a 3 bedroom house for $3k for the 6 weeks.

Soooo jealous.  Once I kick this farming habit, Mrs.Slack and I will head south for the winter and mountains for the summer.  Spring and fall are the only really good times in SEK.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 05, 2022, 04:36:34 PM »
I like living in a place that has all 4 seasons.  Just when you're getting tired of one season the next comes and it's a perfect change of pace. IMhO.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #427 on: January 05, 2022, 05:03:16 PM »
I like living in a place that has all 4 seasons.  Just when you're getting tired of one season the next comes and it's a perfect change of pace. IMhO.
Bring reason I stay in Kentucky.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: January 05, 2022, 05:12:17 PM »
Just booked an AirBnB in San Antonio for 6 weeks starting the end of January!  :billdance:

Either lots of stuff was already booked or something because it was trashy super cheap or mega expensive. I ended up getting a 3 bedroom house for $3k for the 6 weeks.

Soooo jealous.  Once I kick this farming habit, Mrs.Slack and I will head south for the winter and mountains for the summer.  Spring and fall are the only really good times in SEK.

Just ditch the livestock and be a suitcase farmer growing corn/beans/corn. Plant in the spring, head out to the mountains until September, harvest and catch a couple cat games, Head south after Christmas/new years then come back in the spring to do it all over again.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: January 05, 2022, 07:30:25 PM »
IT"S NOT THAT EASY!
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: January 06, 2022, 08:39:18 AM »

Just ditch the livestock and be a suitcase farmer growing corn/beans/corn. Plant in the spring, head out to the mountains until September, harvest and catch a couple cat games, Head south after Christmas/new years then come back in the spring to do it all over again.

KATPAPPY's right, it's not that easy.  I finished beans in Dec. then turned around and started sourcing herbicide, fixing terraces, pulling soil samples, buying fert., etc.  Will start fertilizing this month and spraying in Feb.  It's really year round work.  Oh, and my older brother/partner has developed bad ankles and knees so something will change in the near future. 

I've run some numbers lately and found that Mrs. Slack and I can retire early and live very good lives, which I'm thankful for.  Hard part will be unwinding the business.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: January 21, 2022, 09:36:52 PM »
Leaving in a week!  :eek:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 28, 2023, 11:57:08 PM »
KSO is in absolute meltdown about this article. A bunch of people who made the choice to move from Manhattan are furious that a woman who spent 30 years of her life in Boston finds life in Manhattan not as easy.

https://www.businessinsider.com/moving-regrets-i-moved-from-boston-to-kansas-2023-8?amp

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 29, 2023, 12:14:46 AM »
I don't drink or buy milk but I find it hard to believe that mhk grocery stores are constantly out of milk.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 29, 2023, 12:40:19 AM »
KSO is in absolute meltdown about this article. A bunch of people who made the choice to move from Manhattan are furious that a woman who spent 30 years of her life in Boston finds life in Manhattan not as easy.

https://www.businessinsider.com/moving-regrets-i-moved-from-boston-to-kansas-2023-8?amp
no lies detected

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 29, 2023, 01:27:19 AM »
Sounds like they picked a bad place within manhattan to live given their wants.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: August 29, 2023, 02:02:42 AM »

I don't think there are too many places in Manhattan that she can function without a car, work around an office full of writers and editors, and have a couple of dozen of world class hospitals within a 30 minute drive. Husband's needs were never mentioned, I'm guessing he's fine given I'm sure he barely leaves campus.

I'm sure that most of her issue is that she's in a town smaller than the neighborhood she lined in with no friends and her husband is on a college campus damn near all day. I couldn't imagine living in Manhattan in my 30s and I went to college there. It must be awful living there essentially alone. I wonder if she would have left earlier if ol boy didn't have the gall bladder issue.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: August 29, 2023, 06:08:21 AM »
I found the staffing shortage and running out of staples commentary to be disingenuous.  I do think the discussion around healthcare is an accurate view unfortunately of living in rural America.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 29, 2023, 06:10:07 AM »
Does MHK still not have public transit?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: August 29, 2023, 06:39:14 AM »
I found the staffing shortage and running out of staples commentary to be disingenuous.  I do think the discussion around healthcare is an accurate view unfortunately of living in rural America.

Do you live in Manhattan and can vouch for the staffing shortage not being an issue? I live in Ames which is significantly more urban than Manhattan and post pandemic the staffing level has not recovered. Staffing levels remain so bad that most fast food places don't open their lobbies and retail places have had to reduce their hours, still. Ames has also lost restaurants partly due to an inability to properly staff the restaurant, I'm certain that is also happening in Manhattan.

I work in an industry that is incumbent upon hiring 18-23 year olds and I can tell you that it's very much a struggle, industrywide.

Does MHK still not have public transit?

Just that crappy ATA bus that most people think are for handicapped people. There were calls for a Manhattan bus system when I moved there in 1996.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 29, 2023, 06:41:32 AM »
I think staffing is an issue nationwide and not really unique to rural America. 

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: August 29, 2023, 06:43:34 AM »
i don't believe i've ever seen a grocery store out of milk or butter

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 29, 2023, 07:05:44 AM »

Yea, it is everywhere.  That's why her writing about it as if it was unique to that community rang hollow for me.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: August 29, 2023, 08:11:58 AM »
meh, the majority of her problems would have been solved with a 2nd car

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 29, 2023, 08:31:56 AM »
Can tell she does not live downtown.. so yes, that would suck crap without a vehicle.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: August 29, 2023, 08:34:03 AM »

I don't think there are too many places in Manhattan that she can function without a car, work around an office full of writers and editors, and have a couple of dozen of world class hospitals within a 30 minute drive. Husband's needs were never mentioned, I'm guessing he's fine given I'm sure he barely leaves campus.

I'm sure that most of her issue is that she's in a town smaller than the neighborhood she lined in with no friends and her husband is on a college campus damn near all day. I couldn't imagine living in Manhattan in my 30s and I went to college there. It must be awful living there essentially alone. I wonder if she would have left earlier if ol boy didn't have the gall bladder issue.

If they’d have elected to live closer to campus, he’d have walked to campus and she’d have the car.

She could go to campus too and work there for a change of vibe or other places where the people are for different work scenes or socializing. I’m thinking they maybe lived in ogden or something.

Nothing to be done about medical options, but that’s why I said wants instead of needs.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: August 29, 2023, 10:34:31 AM »

Yea, it is everywhere.  That's why her writing about it as if it was unique to that community rang hollow for me.

Correct, that was my issue too with it. Like, it's not a MHK problem, or small town problem, it's an everywhere problem
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 29, 2023, 11:19:23 AM »
Prob picked a luxury apartment way out west.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 29, 2023, 11:49:15 AM »
Prob picked a luxury apartment way out west.

She says apartment but sounds more like a rental house or duplex. Pic looks house/duplex too.

In Boston, our $1,700 rent got us an apartment with two rooms: a bedroom, and living area, connected by a galley kitchen. It was tiny, rundown, and had no amenities whatsoever.

Here, for the same price, we live in a three-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment. We have stainless steel appliances, central air, a dishwasher, a garbage disposal, in-unit laundry, a garage, a porch, and a yard. I don't think I would ever be able to afford a place in the city that has those amenities.

Either way, yeah, I think it was a matter of "look how much space in and out we get for $1750 here!" when for even less they could've got something still bigger than their boston spot but better suited for distance, social, etc.

The majority of her grievances aren't MHK/KS/Brownbackistan things, but self-inflicted and/or 2023 things. And the rest is like, yeah, your husband wanted to go back to a college and you moved to a college town, it's different, and it'll be different when he finishes classes and you move.

She's on her way to giving a really boring graduation speech.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 29, 2023, 12:00:02 PM »
Hate to pile on but she's probably gonna need a second car in westchester (unless one of them can walk to a commuter train, but that would be a choice like living closer to campus in MHK). just about any suburb will be as bad or worse than Manhattan