Author Topic: Fourth Quarter  (Read 2815 times)

Offline Steffy08

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Fourth Quarter
« on: November 06, 2016, 06:38:23 AM »
In six conference games, we have been outscored 27-66 in the fourth quarter.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Fourth Quarter
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 07:38:19 AM »
Why play to win when you can play not to lose?

Offline slackcat

• Katpak'r
  • worst ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 07:40:12 AM »
More proof games should be 3 periods.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 08:59:44 AM »
How are we doing in the other 3 quarters?
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 09:24:15 AM »
What did you think of that pass play with 10 seconds left and no TOs 1/2 yard short of the end zone?

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 09:39:51 AM »
What did you think of that pass play with 10 seconds left and no TOs 1/2 yard short of the end zone?

Horrible, but I can't remember if the receiver broke before getting into the endzone (which would be moronic) or if the receiver had to leave the endzone to catch the ball due to a crap throw.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2016, 09:42:46 AM »
It was a rub route that simply took too long to develop which contributed to the catch outside the endzone and the interference penalty.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2016, 10:36:31 AM »
Just a minor correction, that pass was incomplete, it was a bad pass btw. If we completed that the game would have ended on a 10 second runoff. Gundy called that last time out to get clarification on whether or not the pass was completed.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2016, 10:39:57 AM »
I'm not sure that's correct, in post game gundy said had the flag not been thrown then the clock would have ran out and was annoyed it worked out in our favor
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2016, 10:57:24 AM »
I'm not sure that's correct, in post game gundy said had the flag not been thrown then the clock would have ran out and was annoyed it worked out in our favor

If that's the case he's a dumbass that for the second time this year didn't know the rules at the end of the game. If they ruled that ball caught and we committed offensive pass interference that would be a live ball penalty with the clock running, by rule that is a 10 second runoff the last two minutes of each half. The only way to prevent that runoff is to call a time out.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 11:04:43 AM »
The play-by-play has this as a completed pass. I'm going to read the rule book to see in this is a really glaring hole in the rule, it was made to prevent exactly this, a team benefiting from committing a penalty in end game situations, or if the officials misapplied the rule.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 11:16:36 AM »
So the rule is ambiguous and leaves room for interpretation which makes it a poorly written rule

10-Second Runoff from Game Clock--Foul
ARTICLE 4. a. With the game clock running and less than one minute
remaining in either half, before a change of team possession if either team
commits a foul that causes the clock to stop immediately, the officials may
subtract 10 seconds from the game clock at the option of the offended
team. The fouls that fall in this category include but are not limited to:
1. Any foul that prevents the snap (e.g., false start, encroachment,
defensive offside by contact in the neutral zone, etc.) (A.R. 3-4-4-
III);
2. Intentional grounding to stop the clock;
3. Incomplete illegal forward pass;
4. Backward pass thrown out of bounds to stop the clock;
5. Any other foul committed with the intent of stopping the clock.
The offended team may accept the yardage penalty and decline the
10-second runoff. If the yardage penalty is declined the 10-second runoff
is declined by rule.
b. The 10-second rule does not apply if the game clock is not running
when the foul occurs or if the foul does not cause the game clock to
stop immediately (e.g., illegal formation).
c. After the penalty is administered, if there is a 10-second runoff, the
game clock starts on the referee’s signal. If there is no 10-second runoff,
the game clock starts on the snap.
d. If the fouling team has a timeout remaining they may avoid the
10-second runoff by using a timeout. In this case the game clock starts
on the snap after the timeout.
e. The 10-second runoff does not apply when there are offsetting fouls.

The offense benefited from the call so I'm not sure how #4 cannot be applied here.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »
Yeah, the reason for no runoff that the TV gave didn't really make sense either
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2016, 11:50:30 AM »
The opening seems pretty clear to me.  The rule applies in situations where the penalty causes the clock to stop immediately.  All examples are dead ball fouls or actions that cause the play to be whistled dead and the clock to stop.  A pass interference penalty doesn't stop the clock when the penalty is committed, so no 10 second run off.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 11:55:28 AM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2016, 12:01:19 PM »
The ref made an announcement as to why there would be no run off, but the reason he gave stated that there should have been a run off. The refs were pretty bad overall, but not as bad as the announcers, and the announcers were not nearly as bad as Ertz's throws.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2016, 12:22:41 PM »
The fact that they threw a flag at all there was ridiculous, but it benefited us so yay.

In the big xii there's serial offensive pass interference, and it's almost never called.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 01:35:19 PM »
The opening seems pretty clear to me.  The rule applies in situations where the penalty causes the clock to stop immediately.  All examples are dead ball fouls or actions that cause the play to be whistled dead and the clock to stop.  A pass interference penalty doesn't stop the clock when the penalty is committed, so no 10 second run off.

Pretty sure it does, otherwise they wouldn't have added 3 seconds to the clock like they did.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 02:14:37 PM »

Pretty sure it does, otherwise they wouldn't have added 3 seconds to the clock like they did.

The play was completed with 4 seconds left.  The penalty was committed with 7ish seconds left, but they don't whistle the play dead when PI is committed.  Gundy called a timeout to the side judge as the ref wound the clock.  The clock operator was watching the ref to watch for the signal to start the clock and starred it even though the side judge was signaling the timeout.  That's why they reset it to 4 seconds.

The runoff is for penalties that cause the clock to stop, not those where the clock is stopped just to administer it.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:18:08 PM by TheHamburglar »

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2016, 02:22:43 PM »
That makes sense.  The fairest thing to do would be to spot the ball where it needs to be and no run-off, but make all the players stand in spots relative to where they were at the end of the prior play and start the clock and make them scramble to try and get a play off.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2016, 04:31:39 PM »

The play was completed with 4 seconds left.  The penalty was committed with 7ish seconds left, but they don't whistle the play dead when PI is committed.  Gundy called a timeout to the side judge as the ref wound the clock.  The clock operator was watching the ref to watch for the signal to start the clock and starred it even though the side judge was signaling the timeout.  That's why they reset it to 4 seconds.

The runoff is for penalties that cause the clock to stop, not those where the clock is stopped just to administer it.

Right, if they would have picked the flag up in shame for how absurd it was, they'd have wound the clock upon placing the ball and we could have qb sneaked for a win.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2016, 06:39:22 PM »

Thanks Hamburglar, that makes sense. I contend that its still a hole in rule, committing that penalty allowed us to benefit from it whether OSU accepted it or not.

Offline hemmy

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RIP The After Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2016, 07:37:03 PM »
i think we could have spiked it and still had like 1 second left, had there been no penalty. i dunno

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2016, 08:16:20 PM »
i think we could have spiked it and still had like 1 second left, had there been no penalty. i dunno

They changed the rule on spikes to something stupid where a few seconds still have to be on the clock at the snap.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2016, 08:25:13 PM »

No way they would have even had it spotted within 3 seconds.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2016, 08:38:15 PM »

Thanks Hamburglar, that makes sense. I contend that its still a hole in rule, committing that penalty allowed us to benefit from it whether OSU accepted it or not.

I lean towards agreeing with you.  This is probably semantics, but the rule is to prevent players from committing intentional penalties, not to prevent the offense from gaining an advantage from a normal penalty.  I also understand the view point of why should a normal penalty be treated any different at different times of the game if committed for the same reason.  The different timing rules bother me some too, but I'll also take any attempt to keep the game at 3 hours.