Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 378598 times)

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #6100 on: December 21, 2023, 03:08:17 PM »
incredible work by western KS farmers

I want to give a shout out to a couple of true heroes! An incident happened on I-70 yesterday (Dec. 19, 2023) that led a NW Kansas farmer and his son to do extraordinary things to keep people safe in our county. A semi-truck driver traveling west on I-70, had a medical incident where he blacked out. His semi went into the median at highway speeds! Traveling in the median, it stayed between the traffic lanes for about a quarter of mile where it jumped over a crossover. This slowed the semi-truck down. The farmer and his son traveling in the same direction noticed the driver needing help, so they went into action. The semi-truck slowed down enough so they could jump onto the passenger’s side, but they found the door locked. The son riding on the semi-truck asked his dad to throw him a hammer. He then broke the window out, crawled into the semi-truck and stopped the semi-truck before it got to the overpass at exit 17. This action more than likely saved the life of the truck driver along with protecting all the other travelers on I-70 and Highway 27. It is amazing what people will do to help others they do not know. Thank you to Brent Ginther and his son Brady for your heroic actions. Our community is incredibly grateful!
Sheriff Burton Pianalto
Sherman County Sheriff’s Office

https://www.facebook.com/ShermanCountySheriffsOffice

:Carl:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #6101 on: December 21, 2023, 03:51:40 PM »
my one and only time in western kansas was spent pheasant hunting in a town between quinter and park, kansas, with some locals.

the locals shot at every single living animal that we came across including a hedgehog, an owl, and multiple other species.  they were very careful, however, to only shoot male pheasants

annually hunt up by Cuba/Munden and the locals go into a blood lust frenzy when they get onto a coyote.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6102 on: December 21, 2023, 03:54:57 PM »
incredible work by western KS farmers

I want to give a shout out to a couple of true heroes! An incident happened on I-70 yesterday (Dec. 19, 2023) that led a NW Kansas farmer and his son to do extraordinary things to keep people safe in our county. A semi-truck driver traveling west on I-70, had a medical incident where he blacked out. His semi went into the median at highway speeds! Traveling in the median, it stayed between the traffic lanes for about a quarter of mile where it jumped over a crossover. This slowed the semi-truck down. The farmer and his son traveling in the same direction noticed the driver needing help, so they went into action. The semi-truck slowed down enough so they could jump onto the passenger’s side, but they found the door locked. The son riding on the semi-truck asked his dad to throw him a hammer. He then broke the window out, crawled into the semi-truck and stopped the semi-truck before it got to the overpass at exit 17. This action more than likely saved the life of the truck driver along with protecting all the other travelers on I-70 and Highway 27. It is amazing what people will do to help others they do not know. Thank you to Brent Ginther and his son Brady for your heroic actions. Our community is incredibly grateful!
Sheriff Burton Pianalto
Sherman County Sheriff’s Office

https://www.facebook.com/ShermanCountySheriffsOffice

:Carl:
Speaking of Pianalto's... Does anyone remember the story of the art teacher in Lincoln, KS who killed his wife, two children and then himself with a deer rifle back in 1990?  A relative was a student of Mr Pianalto, loved art class and was pretty shaken up by the situation.

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-salina-journal/127507157/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6103 on: December 21, 2023, 05:44:21 PM »
NOT COW FARM RELATED

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6104 on: December 21, 2023, 05:52:20 PM »
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6105 on: December 21, 2023, 05:54:28 PM »
How embarrassing for sd
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: December 21, 2023, 06:16:17 PM »
NOT COW FARM RELATED
sorry to derail your very good farm thread, SD.
I may start a Kansas True Crime thread.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #6107 on: December 21, 2023, 06:21:07 PM »
NOT COW FARM RELATED
SD just jealous he didn't get to rodeo a runaway truck

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: December 21, 2023, 06:27:42 PM »
NOT COW FARM RELATED
Not sure what speed the truck was doing but, I don't think I would have the cajones to do what this guy did. probably would have called the Highway Patrol and hoped for the best.

Offline passranch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: December 22, 2023, 10:44:34 AM »
NOT COW FARM RELATED

I have to suspend a WHOLE LOT of disbelief to think that events went down anywhere close to as described.  Too many holes in this story for me.  Sorry.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: December 22, 2023, 08:26:10 PM »
cowboys rounding up crashed truck cattle is a daily event in KS irl.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: December 23, 2023, 03:39:03 PM »
cowboys rounding up crashed truck cattle is a daily event in KS irl.

have seen IRL.

also, the cowboys I saw doing looked about as happy and excited as you can see a grown human being.  like just won the Super Bowl thrilled.  There was a news truck there and they sure knew it

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: December 23, 2023, 05:51:45 PM »
Years back when I was a roughneck digging oil wells in western Kansas we were on K-4 close to Ransom and the HWP had the road blocked on our way to work.  Somebody in an HD pickup truck pulling a large horse trailer rolled it.  The guy was okay, but one of the cops had to shoot two horses that broke legs.  The other four were ok and a guy with a trailer loaded up the other four horses. 

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: December 26, 2023, 10:05:19 PM »
Serious question.  We have dogs getting ACL surgery, but if you're a horse and break your leg, well, the treatment is still the same as it was since guns were invented?

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: December 27, 2023, 12:55:58 AM »
apparently the big difference is that dogs can get around on three legs and horses can't.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: December 27, 2023, 08:39:00 AM »
Serious question.  We have dogs getting ACL surgery, but if you're a horse and break your leg, well, the treatment is still the same as it was since guns were invented?

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Your comment reminded me of this classic Far Side cartoon:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: December 27, 2023, 08:52:41 AM »
yeah, horses are big and heavy and incapable of limping around on three legs so they just shatter that broken one to bits and it's dogfood and glue factoryville USA population that horse in almost all circumstances

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: December 27, 2023, 09:28:27 AM »
Horses are just a notch above cattle.  Nobody wants to spend the time and effort to heal a horse, and as Steve said they will just eff up the healing process.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6120 on: December 29, 2023, 01:42:00 PM »
New wheat harvest video from KS Farm Imagery just dropped. Lots of cool drone footage. This is from Osborne Co, KS, IIRC. Very dry there over the past year.

https://youtu.be/WCjTTPIr83c?si=g3jxSAtZBHYECHzC

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: December 29, 2023, 01:51:49 PM »
very cool

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: December 29, 2023, 08:12:41 PM »
I recently learned a new ben ji's dad/farm story. In the early 80's my dad had a great idea to plant 200 walnut tree's on the cat ranch windbreak. The plan was to cut them down and sell them when he retired like 40 years later. (For reference the cat ranch is in NW KS where there are very few trees).

He took a week off work to hand dig holes and plant 200 walnut tree's one summer.....they all died within 10 years except for like 2 of them that ended up where the snow drifted. This conversation ensue'd

ben ji "so did you ask grandpa if you could do it? what did he say?"
dad "Yeah, I asked to make sure it was okay and he just snickered and said "sure go ahead""
ben ji "so he didn't think they would survive but you went ahead and bought 200 walnut seedling and hand planted them"
dad "Sometimes you have to do something to learn it won't work"

That walnut windbreak was replaced with a cedar windbreak a couple of years later which is still there. I'm out here bird hunting and my dad is coming out tomorrow so hopefully he can show me the few remaining walnut trees that were part of his retirement plan.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: December 29, 2023, 09:05:28 PM »
I recently learned a new ben ji's dad/farm story. In the early 80's my dad had a great idea to plant 200 walnut tree's on the cat ranch windbreak. The plan was to cut them down and sell them when he retired like 40 years later. (For reference the cat ranch is in NW KS where there are very few trees).

He took a week off work to hand dig holes and plant 200 walnut tree's one summer.....they all died within 10 years except for like 2 of them that ended up where the snow drifted. This conversation ensue'd

ben ji "so did you ask grandpa if you could do it? what did he say?"
dad "Yeah, I asked to make sure it was okay and he just snickered and said "sure go ahead""
ben ji "so he didn't think they would survive but you went ahead and bought 200 walnut seedling and hand planted them"
dad "Sometimes you have to do something to learn it won't work"

That walnut windbreak was replaced with a cedar windbreak a couple of years later which is still there. I'm out here bird hunting and my dad is coming out tomorrow so hopefully he can show me the few remaining walnut trees that were part of his retirement plan.

Were they black walnut trees?  I see a lot of black walnut trees in NE Kansas.  I don't remember seeing very many walnut trees, except a few around rivers and city parks in Western Kansas.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: December 29, 2023, 09:26:28 PM »
friend is killing it selling live edge walnut trees from his shitty windbreak.  sold me a few nice pieces.  He pretends I win them in a raffle so i can deduct for charity and that is my tax fraud story of the day