Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 378581 times)

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #6025 on: November 13, 2023, 09:23:31 AM »
My cousin is infamous for having straight pipes on everything. He wears ear plugs running that thing.  You hear him before you see him coming around the hill.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #6026 on: November 13, 2023, 09:49:01 AM »
Sunday was a perfect day for plowing terraces.  IH 1066 turbo with straight chrome pipe and 5 bottom plow.

Tom

There is never a perfect day for plowing anything, especially terraces.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6027 on: November 13, 2023, 11:40:16 AM »
LoL, Schreds.  Trivia... I have never plowed.  Just watched Dad on an open station 4430 plowing and injecting NH3.

Plowing fell out of favor for V rippers, which was still a dad thing, so it was all discing and field cultivating (aka sweeping?) for me.

Now the farmer cousin likes to maintain terraces which is a good practice.

Tom

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6028 on: November 13, 2023, 09:01:29 PM »
Growing up on a farm, my Dad hired a guy to do terraces about every 6 to 8 years.  The guy has the right equipment to do this for farmers.  I don't know what he charged, but was very busy and Dad had to call him way ahead of when he needed them done.

Tom, is that IH 1066 an early '70s model?
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6029 on: November 13, 2023, 10:21:47 PM »
I would say yes, it's early 70s.

CRP buffer coming along nicely as it nears one year anniversary. I need a plaque noting its DRP as we seeded this the day of our 2022 Big 12 Championship (before and after the game).

Polished steel mold boards after a day in the field.  Just think back in 1837 John Deere figured out polished steel self scoured the sticky Midwest soils, made a killing selling them, and built a global company.

Tom

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6030 on: November 14, 2023, 07:47:33 AM »
My Dad had an 856 IH that could pull a four-shear plow that you could flip for plowing straight rows.  I wish I had a picture because it was unique with a set above the set that plowed the field.  I remember pulling the plow at about 3 mph, so it took a long time to finish a field.   Needless to say the bigger the plow the bigger the tractor it took to plow.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: November 14, 2023, 07:52:34 AM »
maybe it's the angle but it looks like the terrace maintenance was long overdue

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: November 14, 2023, 08:15:30 AM »

CRP buffer coming along nicely as it nears one year anniversary. I need a plaque noting its DRP as we seeded this the day of our 2022 Big 12 Championship (before and after the game).

Polished steel mold boards after a day in the field.  Just think back in 1837 John Deere figured out polished steel self scoured the sticky Midwest soils, made a killing selling them, and built a global company.

Tom

Do you officially get govt funds for that crp border or are you just referring to it as crp due to the purpose of it?

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: November 14, 2023, 10:18:40 AM »

Tom

Do you officially get govt funds for that crp border or are you just referring to it as crp due to the purpose of it?
Cost share to prep and seed plus annual payment per acre.  They use GPS to calculate acres, and we have roughly 7 acres enrolled on that 80 acres.

It's a 15 year program. Splitting the payment 50/50 with my renter. 

That money isn't getting me in the Shamrock Zone, but erosion mitigation is a feel good to preserve what we have.

https://www.fsa.usda.gov/state-offices/Kansas/news-releases/2023/-usda-announces-conservation-reserve-program-signup-for-2023

Tom

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: November 14, 2023, 12:33:43 PM »
maybe it's the angle but it looks like the terrace maintenance was long overdue
Don't make me beat a plowshare into a sword, Mich.

That is funky area in the field where 3 terraces come to a point. I think he dropped the plow in a bit  before one terrace, hoping to extend it a bit.

This place has been a 15 year work in progress since my dad passed away.  New tile drains replaced grass water ways, some heavy dirt work, annual maintenance with box scraper, plow, skid steer.

Tom

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: November 14, 2023, 05:53:47 PM »
Quote from: KST8FAN

That money isn't getting me in the Shamrock Zone, but erosion mitigation is a feel good to preserve what we have.

[url
https://www.fsa.usda.gov/state-offices/Kansas/news-releases/2023/-usda-announces-conservation-reserve-program-signup-for-2023[/url]

Tom

This also provides good habitat for birds and animals.  Great conservation practice all the way around Tom!

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: November 14, 2023, 06:16:18 PM »
Just good people doing good things.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: November 14, 2023, 06:24:24 PM »
One of the first fields a young Schreds ever plowed was a quarter section.  It took over an hour to get around that field when first starting.  I was pulling a John Deere plow with an on land hitch and 5 18's.  Imagine the feeling of hopelessness when after an hour of plowing I got back to the beginning and saw a strip of plowed ground only 90 inches wide.  I was convinced I would spend the rest of my life in that field.  Thus began a deep hatred of plowing.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: November 14, 2023, 06:43:09 PM »

Tom

Cost share to prep and seed plus annual payment per acre.  They use GPS to calculate acres, and we have roughly 7 acres enrolled on that 80 acres.

It's a 15 year program. Splitting the payment 50/50 with my renter. 

https://www.fsa.usda.gov/state-offices/Kansas/news-releases/2023/-usda-announces-conservation-reserve-program-signup-for-2023

Tom

Hopefully it gets some birds in there. It's weird seeing CRP that short but maybe it takes a couple of years to get established and tall as hell? I was out in NW KS last weekend chasing birds in my aunt's CRP and its all at least knee high and there are patches where I am in shoulder tall grass.

I would figure that since you are in the flint hills it would be tall grass prairie and all 5ft tall.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: November 14, 2023, 08:46:04 PM »
This farm is in Douglas County.  Grass should get progressively better.

Tom

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: November 14, 2023, 08:55:39 PM »
This farm is in Douglas County.  Grass should get progressively better.

Tom

Some lovely land there.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: November 15, 2023, 07:46:11 AM »
I had western Kansas wheat farmers on the floor in Marlatt.  Brothers used to talk about plowing marathons and taking 8 hour rotations plowing their vast acreage 24/7.

Tom

« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 09:55:07 AM by KST8FAN »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: November 15, 2023, 12:11:54 PM »
You sure they were talking about wheat?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: November 15, 2023, 12:13:31 PM »
You sure they were talking about wheat?
No.

Tom

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: November 15, 2023, 12:14:10 PM »
Small me was always fascinated by how impossibly shiny the plowshares would become after a bit of plowing.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6045 on: November 15, 2023, 02:39:17 PM »
Small me was always fascinated by how impossibly shiny the plowshares would become after a bit of plowing.
You should have seen them when they were swords!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6046 on: November 15, 2023, 07:00:11 PM »
One of the first fields a young Schreds ever plowed was a quarter section.  It took over an hour to get around that field when first starting.  I was pulling a John Deere plow with an on land hitch and 5 18's.  Imagine the feeling of hopelessness when after an hour of plowing I got back to the beginning and saw a strip of plowed ground only 90 inches wide.  I was convinced I would spend the rest of my life in that field.  Thus began a deep hatred of plowing.
[/b]

:thumbs:

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: November 15, 2023, 07:37:20 PM »
My uncle's western KS cows grazing a harvested wheat field last weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6048 on: November 15, 2023, 08:00:09 PM »
Lots of good grazing there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6049 on: November 15, 2023, 09:31:57 PM »
those baby cows don't look happy.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."