Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 381094 times)

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #6000 on: October 20, 2023, 01:42:01 PM »
Do cowboys take their hats off for the national anthem?

If one of my KC friends showed up with a cowboy hat at any type of event whatsoever, I would immediately knock it off his head without saying a word. Your friends are going to do that Benji so be prepared.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Re: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #6001 on: October 20, 2023, 01:53:32 PM »
Do cowboys take their hats off for the national anthem?

If one of my KC friends showed up with a cowboy hat at any type of event whatsoever, I would immediately knock it off his head without saying a word. Your friends are going to do that Benji so be prepared.
Stand for the flag, kneel for the cross (with hat removed)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #6002 on: November 10, 2023, 08:09:17 AM »
This thread never disappoints.

I need some advice. What is the bottom entry level amount of farming/ranching crap I should do in order to call myself at least a hobby farmer and be able appropriate farm/ranch culture (e.g. wear hats such as those featured recently in this thread, etc.)?

Those of you who follow this thread closely may recall that I once contemplated a crazy farm land scheme in northern MN, but I put that plan on hold. HOWEVER, I have a new crazy land scheme in the works and have about a 27% chance of buying a parcel of land outside of Lawrence (Paradise Club side of town) with some pals from HS. 

We would have control of 50+ acres. Most of it wooded with a really deep creek gully winding  through it.  Of the wooded amount, on corner (about 25% of the total wooded amount) is thickest cedar grove you could imagine.

One pal already has 10 acres of this area purchased and has started putting enough apple trees on it to claim it for Ag use on taxes. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #6003 on: November 10, 2023, 08:38:16 AM »
WEAR THE HAT PETE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6004 on: November 10, 2023, 08:54:54 AM »
WEAR THE HAT PETE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I get this land, I will purchase a Charlie Daniels style hat with pheasant plumage, and put that rough rider on as soon as I sign the closing documents.   

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6005 on: November 10, 2023, 08:56:36 AM »
Saw milling seems cool. That’s up there on my list of ridiculously unnecessary things to do on the land.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6006 on: November 10, 2023, 12:03:14 PM »
Saw milling seems cool. That’s up there on my list of ridiculously unnecessary things to do on the land.
I could watch videos of people using their home saw mills to make beautiful boards for hours.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: November 10, 2023, 12:06:08 PM »

I need some advice. What is the bottom entry level amount of farming/ranching crap I should do in order to call myself at least a hobby farmer and be able appropriate farm/ranch culture (e.g. wear hats such as those featured recently in this thread, etc.)?

Those of you who follow this thread closely may recall that I once contemplated a crazy farm land scheme in northern MN, but I put that plan on hold. HOWEVER, I have a new crazy land scheme in the works and have about a 27% chance of buying a parcel of land outside of Lawrence (Paradise Club side of town) with some pals from HS. 

We would have control of 50+ acres. Most of it wooded with a really deep creek gully winding  through it.  Of the wooded amount, on corner (about 25% of the total wooded amount) is thickest cedar grove you could imagine.

One pal already has 10 acres of this area purchased and has started putting enough apple trees on it to claim it for Ag use on taxes. 

Need a side by side
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #6008 on: November 10, 2023, 01:55:28 PM »
I could watch videos of people using their home saw mills to make beautiful boards for hours.
Same here!  And vids of simplistic rustic cabin builds with rough cut lumber.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2023, 02:03:44 PM by Pete »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6009 on: November 10, 2023, 01:57:05 PM »

Need a side by side
HAVE YOU SEEN THOSE PRICES?!?!

I’m probably more of a 2 or 3 golf cart guy.  Need a couple electrics for the silent traversing of custom paths around the property, and maybe, MAYBE, a gas Cushman.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions
« Reply #6010 on: November 10, 2023, 01:59:35 PM »
Mini bikes might be good tho. My youngest graduates HS in a couple years and technically the moratorium on two wheeled motorized devices is up at that time. I do have an electric Specialized fat tire mountain bike that I inherited, but that is just pedal assist and legal under my current rules.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6011 on: November 10, 2023, 02:02:41 PM »
I’d really love a skid loader with a forestry drum mulcher, but a skid that big with high flow hydraulics is like $30K for an old one, and another $15K - $20K for a used drum mulcher attachment.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: November 10, 2023, 02:04:30 PM »
order of vehicles purchased by my legit hobby farm dad over the last 20ish years (none have been sold)

-golf cart
-dodge ram 1500 farm truck (purchased his work truck when he got a new work expedition)
-john deere tractor
-777 bobcat
-4 wheeler #1
-4 wheeler #2
-ex mark mower
-john deere gator
-dodge ram 2500 diesel farm truck
-razor side by side
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #6013 on: November 10, 2023, 02:18:39 PM »
order of vehicles purchased by my legit hobby farm dad over the last 20ish years (none have been sold)

-golf cart
-dodge ram 1500 farm truck (purchased his work truck when he got a new work expedition)
-john deere tractor
-777 bobcat
-4 wheeler #1
-4 wheeler #2
-ex mark mower
-john deere gator
-dodge ram 2500 diesel farm truck
-razor side by side
So he currently has 2 4 wheelers, a gator and a side by side? Has there ever been a time when they have all been in use at the same time or it a situation where half are broken down at any point in time?

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6014 on: November 10, 2023, 02:39:09 PM »
you have to move the tractor and bobcat to get the 4 wheelers and golf cart out of the shed so no they are never used after the purchase of the gator.  i think they all work or could work with minimal effort though.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6015 on: November 10, 2023, 02:40:02 PM »
That's quite a collection
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6016 on: November 10, 2023, 02:41:12 PM »
oh, one of the 4-wheelers IS used during burn season because it has a water tank and sprayer attached to it, i forgot about that.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6017 on: November 10, 2023, 03:25:02 PM »
God damn, your Dad sounds awesome.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6018 on: November 10, 2023, 06:44:45 PM »
one of the things that gives me pause about diving full on into the hobby farming lifestyle is that i hate fixing stuff.  don't really like machines in general.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6019 on: November 10, 2023, 06:58:20 PM »
one of the things that gives me pause about diving full on into the hobby farming lifestyle is that i hate fixing stuff.  don't really like machines in general.

I think the sweet spot for me is being good friends with someone who has a hobby farm, because I'm lazy (and like to keep my money).

For example, a very good friend down here has a ranch that's been in the family since, like, slavery times. I don't have to deal with the upkeep or anything. I can just go there for fun.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6020 on: November 10, 2023, 07:23:58 PM »
Be sure and buy brands that have a local dealer then.

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6021 on: November 10, 2023, 08:14:38 PM »
Looking forward to possibly being farm neighbors, Pete.

Happy to demo skid steer, turbo saw on your "home place."

I got a 855D Gator I might part with for the right buyer.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6022 on: November 10, 2023, 10:43:38 PM »
Looking forward to possibly being farm neighbors, Pete.

Happy to demo skid steer, turbo saw on your "home place."

I got a 855D Gator I might part with for the right buyer.

Tom

I hope this land scheme works out so I can take you up on all of that!

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: November 13, 2023, 06:42:52 AM »
Sunday was a perfect day for plowing terraces.  IH 1066 turbo with straight chrome pipe and 5 bottom plow.

Tom

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: November 13, 2023, 08:44:58 AM »
is that IH loud?
That looks like a lovely piece of property.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles