Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 378622 times)

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
tiger, like sd said.  pretty cool, i only ever found a couple in kansas.

i think you can find the larvae pretty easily if you look for them, but i never did that.  the adults are underground most of the time.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
tiger, like sd said.  pretty cool, i only ever found a couple in kansas.

i think you can find the larvae pretty easily if you look for them, but i never did that.  the adults are underground most of the time.
We’d find them all the time in Meade and keep them as pets until we grew bored of them and let them go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
i lived in minnesota for a year and they were everywhere. 

pro tip- boil them with a heavy dusting of your favorite cajun seasoning and enjoy a simple yet flavorful meal that rivals anything you will find at the fanciest seafood restaurants in paris

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
pretty sure that's the yellow spotted lizard. Got Kissin Kate Barlow so you might watch out

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Did some more research this morning and apparently the barred tiger salamander is the state amphibian of Kansas and also the only salamander that lives west of the flint hills.

Such fun!

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
The intense heat during the last half of July "burned up" a lot of the dryland corn in my part of central KS. Farmers are chopping it like crazy for silage. Irrigated corn and most soybeans still look good.

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
The intense heat during the last half of July "burned up" a lot of the dryland corn in my part of central KS. Farmers are chopping it like crazy for silage. Irrigated corn and most soybeans still look good.

I didn't realize it got that bad. Seemed like it was humid enough to keep it going.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
another data point on the corn thing- i noticed that costco didn’t have any corn on the cob yesterday, pretty disappointing

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I didn't realize it got that bad. Seemed like it was humid enough to keep it going.
The corn in my immediate vicinity had been "living hand to mouth" in terms of rainfall for most of the growing season. It looked strong early in July but a couple of dry weeks combined with high temps (the corn plants like to be able to cool off at night, I'm told) zapped it.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Western KS is a lush wonderland with giant sunflower patches growing all over.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also my favorite silver cow is still alive

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Helping my cousin fill silo the rest of this week.  Excited/nervous.  Silo prepared today, and wagons ready to go.

Tom

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
That red paint makes my heart go thump, thump, thump.  :love:
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline WallyOhearn

• Fan
    • View Profile
My farming experience has been quite rewarding. I've been tending to crops and livestock for years, and it's a whole lot of hard work but equally satisfying. I got my first tractor from machinerydealer.co.uk a few months ago. It made plowing and planting so much more efficient.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2023, 05:58:55 AM by WallyOhearn »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My farming experience has been quite rewarding. I've been tending to crops and livestock for years, and it's a whole lot of hard work but equally satisfying.
Go back and read the thread Wally, we already know all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
28 loads, day one.  One flat, one shear pin broke, one chain came off.  Other wise a decent day.  I didn't directly break anything, and I kept up.

Tom

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I say this with the utmost respect and admiration but why are you doing it like that? is something going on that my age 0-18 farming life is missing (I was not paying attention most of those years so this is a VERY high probability)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
28 loads, day one.  One flat, one shear pin broke, one chain came off.  Other wise a decent day.  I didn't directly break anything, and I kept up.

Tom

You need to slow down with that frequency of loads. Refractory periods are real.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
I wouldn't be able to do this, coming from a non-farming background. I have computer hands, they weren't made for this stuff. I appreciate you, Tom.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
I say this with the utmost respect and admiration but why are you doing it like that? is something going on that my age 0-18 farming life is missing (I was not paying attention most of those years so this is a VERY high probability)
You're probably used to a big self propelled cutter, trucks, and a pit?  This is a small part of the operation to winter cows for a neighbor. Still very much old school, old machinery to fill an upright silo in 3-4 days.

I realized this week too my cousin has like a crap load of tractors for the acres farmed. I am not sure he knows what trade in means.  LoL.

Tom

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
You're probably used to a big self propelled cutter, trucks, and a pit?  This is a small part of the operation to winter cows for a neighbor. Still very much old school, old machinery to fill an upright silo in 3-4 days.

I realized this week too my cousin has like a crap load of tractors for the acres farmed. I am not sure he knows what trade in means.  LoL.

Tom

Neat to see the old-school silage production. Dad talks about when the neighbors would get together to put silage into an actual silo. Nowadays, there is a guy with a massive chopper who puts it in a pile on the ground or a trench (probably wastes a lot of silage compared to this setup).

Offline WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile

Tom

Neat to see the old-school silage production. Dad talks about when the neighbors would get together to put silage into an actual silo. Nowadays, there is a guy with a massive chopper who puts it in a pile on the ground or a trench (probably wastes a lot of silage compared to this setup).

This is what we did. Had the old-school setup and put it all in a big trench built into a hill. Used to plant sorghum silage too.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Tom

yeah, that's accurate and basically what I assumed

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Tillie keeping an eye on the coolers.  Ready to play between loads of course.

Tom

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Keep kicking ass Tom