Author Topic: Ask Steve Dave Farm And Cow And Ranch And Tractor And Truck Related Questions  (Read 378628 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Yep, that cow was thinking to itself, just hurry up and slaughter me so you can enjoy my dumbass meat.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Back at the cat ranch for tonight after vision questing out west and it has been 100+ for the past couple of days, 109 a couple days ago and 104 when I pulled in around 4:30 today.

This pasture has not been grazed in 1.5 years and there is basically no green in it and all the tall grass/weeds are from last year.

I still don't understand how the crops all around can be green but the grass is like "um nope, we will chill"

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Mountain cows probably live the best life out of any cows that will eventually be eaten.

Look at these hot POA just munching on some succulent grass in 75 degree weather. I would much rather be a mountain cow than a high plains cow.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
MOAR mountain cows just hanging out with their kids enjoying the beautiful weather and shitting wherever they please.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I wonder how well cows can talk, like say a mountain cow meets a high plains cow in the feedlot this October. The high plains cow is like "Hey bro where ya from?" And the mountain cow starts explaining it's glorious summer eating fresh grass in the mountain before it was taken to some hell hole feedlot in garden city.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
They can barely find the food in their own trough. They are dumb as crap. No talking.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
SD, let those city kids dream.  :cool:

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Adventures of Benji.  Cool pix.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
If I had to be a cow, I would want to be a mountain cow.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
The cattle you refer to as "mountain cows" are actually called range cattle.  They are grass-fed calves on government open range, which is mostly in foothills or bases of mountains.  We would rent about 1800 acres to cattle producers that hauled them in on tractor=trailers in mid-spring and load them up in mid-September.  They were like deer since that was the first time they were ever fenced in.  We installed posts every eight feet and tied five wire barbed wire with stays every 2'10".  Because those wild son of bitches would go thru a fence that they could get their head in between the wire.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The cattle you refer to as "mountain cows" are actually called range cattle.  They are grass-fed calves on government open range, which is mostly in foothills or bases of mountains.  We would rent about 1800 acres to cattle producers that hauled them in on tractor=trailers in mid-spring and load them up in mid-September.  They were like deer since that was the first time they were ever fenced in.  We installed posts every eight feet and tied five wire barbed wire with stays every 2'10".  Because those wild son of bitches would go thru a fence that they could get their head in between the wire.
Look at all this farming knowledge here. I have so many questions.

1. Where was the land you would lease out to the producers.

2. How often do the owners go out and check their cows over the summer?

3. Do they take horses to find/check on them or just leave them up there and count them in the fall? Like it would be easy if they are right by the road but I doubt they stay there all the time.

4. Do they have a good ole fashioned cattle drive to get them down the mountain or do they just bring the cattle haulers up the mountain and load them right there in an area like my photo?

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Where'd you find these mountain cows, benji?

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Where'd you find these mountain cows, benji?

Medicine Bow-Routt national forest in SE WY.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
Look at all this farming knowledge here. I have so many questions.

1. Where was the land you would lease out to the producers.

2. How often do the owners go out and check their cows over the summer?

3. Do they take horses to find/check on them or just leave them up there and count them in the fall? Like it would be easy if they are right by the road but I doubt they stay there all the time.

4. Do they have a good ole fashioned cattle drive to get them down the mountain or do they just bring the cattle haulers up the mountain and load them right there in an area like my photo?

if i understood kp correctly, his family was leasing ks summer pasture to yearlings produced by cow-calf public land grazing permitees.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Finally settled back in the city after vision questing last week and have some L O L farm stories to share about my dad.

As ardent followers of this thread know my dad has a 2004 2wd chevy S10 (lil red) as his farm truck. When I pulled in friday evening he asked me if I wanted to go check on the cows in the back pasture with him (not ours, leased out to a cow farmer). I declined to go watch sunsets.

When I came back in that night around 930/10 my dad informed me that lil red died about 100 yards from the house by the barn...just up and died, no power and wouldnt start. I told him I would help him push it up to the house in the morning.

Early the next morning I found lil red while I went to walk the mutts.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
When I came back from walking the mutts lil red was back at the house so I asked my dad how he fixed it.

Conversation went something like this

ben ji "So lil red is fixed"
dad "Yup figured it out last night"
ben ji "What was wrong with it?"
dad "Well the gas gauge is broken and I thought I had plenty of gas in it but I guess not"
ben ji "So it ran out of gas..."
dad "Yeah...."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Here is the junk pile outside (my dad claims he is going to get a dumpster dropped off from the city but I have a sneaking suspicion that some of this crap will make it back inside)

So I cleaned all of this junk out of the garage/workshop may of 21 (omg, look at how green it was just a year ago) and it sat there until a couple of weeks ago when my dad realized he could get MONEY for selling scrap metal to the local junkyard. We loaded up lil red with enough coffee cans of nuts/bolts and random metal parts until the back of the truck was hanging dangerously low...total amount made?

$19.20...but my dad was hooked
« Last Edit: July 21, 2022, 09:58:28 PM by ben ji »

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
There were also all sorts of small engines and random metal things that enabled another load to be taken to the scrap yard while I was off vision questioning in WY but that was the last of the easy metal.

When I got back to the cat ranch last friday my dad had me help him load all of these random large metal pieces from the junkyard. Think pieces of those large circular metal things you drop hay in the middle of then the cows stick their heads in to eat the hay along with some random hog paneling.

It looked like pig aggie jalopoly heading west but apparently he tied it down enough to make it into town without it flying off.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
His last load was on Monday. I'm guessing these are old hayrakes he found in the junkyard?

"520 lbs worth $20.80 at Langer."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"Langer - metal scrap yard.  They like me.....(cookies)."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My dad was out there the whole week (its his 1 week of the month he gets water on his pivot so he claims he needs to be out there) I was vision questing so I dropped lady off on the way and she got to live her farm dog dream. My dad would send me random pic's of him and lady, its adorable.

"Starting another day on the farm.  Just finished checking the pivot"

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"An exhausting day on the farm."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
"Lady getting ready to check the pivot with me this am."

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Also @sys please identify this snake my dad found in the pasture (he let it live).

I said checkered garter snake but will defer to the snake king.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
i get absolutely horned up for anything involving lil' red