Author Topic: PORTAL KOMBAT  (Read 82468 times)

Stevesie60 and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
Re: PORTAL KOMBAT
« Reply #925 on: April 29, 2024, 08:44:52 AM »
what is the point in following high school recruiting at this moment in time? Any recruit who is so so will probably be gone and any recruit who whips ass most likely will transfer out.
I was trying to keep an open mind about the NIL era but Dai Dai's departure confirms that we are now following a low-level pro team with players and coaches that have at most a one-year commitment to the program.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: April 29, 2024, 09:29:28 AM »
The only way to fix it is to put a minimum and maximum on NIL. If you get caught going over the maximum, you get a 2 year ban on post season play.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: April 29, 2024, 10:27:14 AM »
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: April 29, 2024, 10:31:43 AM »
I think the only way to even remotely "fix" this is to limit it on the school side...limit how many transfers a school can take in a give year.  A "demand" reduction.

The only way to fix it is to put a minimum and maximum on NIL. If you get caught going over the maximum, you get a 2 year ban on post season play.

I think a combo of this needs to happen. Like a school can only get like 3 (or w/e) transfers per year. A transfer can only enter the portal once. You can only spend up to $2 mill or w/e you want on it.

The only loop hole is for if you are on a team and the HC leaves. Then you can transfer out in the portal w/o using that one transfer, and that school with a new HC is not limited to transfer amounts for that first season.

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: April 29, 2024, 10:46:15 AM »
So we getting Battle or what?  Seems like twitter thought it was a done deal.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #930 on: April 29, 2024, 11:12:00 AM »
Yes you can consider that one done
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kstate4life

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: April 29, 2024, 11:26:50 AM »
Yes you can consider that one done

:ksu:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: April 29, 2024, 12:10:34 PM »
what is the point in following high school recruiting at this moment in time? Any recruit who is so so will probably be gone and any recruit who whips ass most likely will transfer out.
I was trying to keep an open mind about the NIL era but Dai Dai's departure confirms that we are now following a low-level pro team with players and coaches that have at most a one-year commitment to the program.
Yeah I’m a little worried this could ruin the sport if left unchecked. Right now it’s the worst of both worlds because at least in the pros you have contracts and (in the NFL at least) franchise tagging.

Potentially starting every year with a completely new roster takes 90% of the fun out of being any kind of fan but especially a college fan.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: April 29, 2024, 12:12:01 PM »
Should we just designate Arkansas, North Texas, and another one or two schools as our farm teams and transfer kids down and up as they need? 

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: April 29, 2024, 12:13:35 PM »
Yeah I’m a little worried this could ruin the sport if left unchecked. Right now it’s the worst of both worlds because at least in the pros you have contracts and (in the NFL at least) franchise tagging.

Potentially starting every year with a completely new roster takes 90% of the fun out of being any kind of fan but especially a college fan.

Agreed, it went from "oh boy I look forward to seeing this kid play for 4 years, will be sad when he leaves" to "I'll be happy if we actually stays." Like I'm glad they have more choice and are getting paid, but it's such a free for all.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: April 29, 2024, 12:31:59 PM »
I remember having a hard time rooting for the 22-23 kstate team because they were all new.  Even harder time for the 07-08 cats.

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: April 29, 2024, 12:48:16 PM »

why do you hate free markets

Offline Houstoncat93

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: April 29, 2024, 12:59:40 PM »
This transfer\NIL era only works long term if you make the players employees and then collectively bargain in the rules suggested above. College football and basketball have to transition to a pro-model.  It is the only way to maintain a fair balance of compensation and freedom for the players and a product that fans want to watch.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: April 29, 2024, 01:04:04 PM »
This transfer\NIL era only works long term if you make the players employees and then collectively bargain in the rules suggested above. College football and basketball have to transition to a pro-model.  It is the only way to maintain a fair balance of compensation and freedom for the players and a product that fans want to watch.

No one is going to stop watching college sports because the players don't stay all 4 years.

Online Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: April 29, 2024, 01:05:45 PM »
I remember having a hard time rooting for the 22-23 kstate team because they were all new.  Even harder time for the 07-08 cats.
Both of those were very easy to get behind right off the bat, imHo
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: April 29, 2024, 01:08:16 PM »
In all seriousness, when you really boil down to it, what's even the point of college sports if they do that? It's essentially just minor leagues with an option to draft AFTER (as opposed to before) seeing them play amongst a more competitive and thinned herd.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: April 29, 2024, 01:42:23 PM »
Both of those were very easy to get behind right off the bat, imHo

Oh that's right, I loved the crap out of them both and I hadn't a damn clue who basically any of them were in October.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: April 29, 2024, 07:09:03 PM »
they probably should just cancel college athletics, it's incredibly stupid the way things have gone.

but as the tweet says, i'll still keep watching that garbage.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: April 29, 2024, 07:41:12 PM »
Everyone should just go find themselves a nice D2 or Ivy to root for.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 29, 2024, 08:21:08 PM »

No one is going to stop watching college sports because the players don't stay all 4 years.
but that’s not what houstoncat93 said. there will undoubtedly be fewer fans because of this level of player churn, which is the point

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: April 29, 2024, 09:12:18 PM »
I think the contracts idea is the only way to satisfy both sides of the equation. Your freshman contract could be written comparable to a rookie contract. And you lose NIL if you agree to play 2 years but leave beforehand (unless the coach leaves) or something like that. Otherwise every kid not starting is going to transfer, and 2-3 starters are going to transfer every year.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 29, 2024, 09:50:49 PM »
Turn on tnt.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 30, 2024, 09:43:53 AM »
This is the best things will ever be for us moving forward. We can put a nice run together with the current staff and rules. If schools start signing contracts and paying players, the Big 12 will stop being competitive.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 30, 2024, 11:06:19 AM »
Should we just designate Arkansas, North Texas, and another one or two schools as our farm teams and transfer kids down and up as they need?

Don't forget NDSU

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 30, 2024, 03:25:14 PM »