Author Topic: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)  (Read 175300 times)

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)
« Reply #1125 on: June 16, 2014, 07:46:40 AM »

No way am I getting a gas one.
why?

Gonna win 'em all!

Loud, smelly, vibration, possibility of having to mix oil and gas, hands smell like gas, etc. I'm actually surprised I bought a gas mower.

i think you are severely overestimating the amount of day to day gasoline maintenence involved in the upkeep of a gasoline powered weedeater.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: June 16, 2014, 07:49:58 AM »
yeah, maybe. however, it is too late and I already bought that electric one. it was cheap though so if I hate it I can just throw it in the street next year and get a gas one. you gas'ers really came into this thing late. where were you when I initially asked?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 16, 2014, 07:51:38 AM »
I HAVEN'T OPENED THE BOX YET SO MAYBE JUST TAKE IT BACK?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: June 16, 2014, 07:58:18 AM »
I have had a coal fired weedeater for several years.  Talk about power.

Electric?  whats next, solar?  LOL, hippies

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: June 16, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »

No way am I getting a gas one.
why?

Gonna win 'em all!

Loud, smelly, vibration, possibility of having to mix oil and gas, hands smell like gas, etc. I'm actually surprised I bought a gas mower.

i think you are severely overestimating the amount of day to day gasoline maintenence involved in the upkeep of a gasoline powered weedeater.

I've got a gas weedeater.  I fill it with the same gas mix I used for my blower and snowblower, and do nothing else.   Has run fine for 6 years now.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #1130 on: June 16, 2014, 09:30:49 AM »
thoughts on this? you guys seem to like your B&D ones. this one is 40v and comes with a blower deal that I'll prolly never use.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-LCC140-40-volt-Trimmer/dp/B00JGUAP8W/ref=zg_bsnr_553954_1

Sorry for not seeing this earlier, sd.

I have a B&D Grasshog trimmer, but not quite as expensive as that model.  My yard really isn't big enough to necessitate it (~9k sq. feet), and even the cheap B&D electric trimmers are amazing.  If you buy the $90 models, they usually last about five years or so, and then you just buy the same model all over again.  I had one that I used an extension cord with, and then about a year ago, I replaced it with one that has a battery on the back.

You need to usually keep two batteries charged up before you trim because, at least with my yard, you need about 1.5 charges to get the job done.  I trim all around my house, trees, flower beds, and fence, so I probably trim a lot, but it does the job.

I'd recommend any B&D electric trimmer.  They're awesome.  I had a Stihl gas trimmer for a summer and ended up giving it to my dad because the cheap B&D one actually did a way better job.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: June 16, 2014, 09:48:26 AM »
thoughts on this? you guys seem to like your B&D ones. this one is 40v and comes with a blower deal that I'll prolly never use.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-LCC140-40-volt-Trimmer/dp/B00JGUAP8W/ref=zg_bsnr_553954_1

I have a B&D Grasshog trimmer, but not quite as expensive as that model.  My yard really isn't big enough to necessitate it (~9k sq. feet), and even the cheap B&D electric trimmers are amazing.  If you buy the $90 models, they usually last about five years or so, and then you just buy the same model all over again.  I had one that I used an extension cord with, and then about a year ago, I replaced it with one that has a battery on the back.

You need to usually keep two batteries charged up before you trim because, at least with my yard, you need about 1.5 charges to get the job done.  I trim all around my house, trees, flower beds, and fence, so I probably trim a lot, but it does the job.

I'd recommend any B&D electric trimmer.  They're awesome.  I had a Stihl gas trimmer for a summer and ended up giving it to my dad because the cheap B&D one actually did a way better job.

yeah, we don't even have a fence yet so hopefully this thing will be enough to tackle it on one charge.

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: June 16, 2014, 09:50:47 AM »

yeah, we don't even have a fence yet so hopefully this thing will be enough to tackle it on one charge.

Probably will.  My last house didn't have one, and it did it in one charge.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: June 16, 2014, 09:59:55 AM »
sd there are probably two batteries in there.  At least my crappier version had two batteries.

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: June 16, 2014, 10:06:29 AM »
yeah, maybe. however, it is too late and I already bought that electric one. it was cheap though so if I hate it I can just throw it in the street next year and get a gas one. you gas'ers really came into this thing late. where were you when I initially asked?
They were out in the yard trying to get their gas trimmers started

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: June 16, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »

This made me chuckle.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: June 16, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »

This made me chuckle.

yeah

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: June 18, 2014, 12:40:33 PM »
my sod is getting really long and the ground is mushy because I'm watering it 4 times a day. how long do I let it go before cutting it? it's been a week now. do I let it go two weeks or should I go ahead and shut off the water and let it dry a couple days and cut it friday or something?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: June 18, 2014, 12:48:37 PM »
I don't think if you are supposed to let it get mushy.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: June 18, 2014, 12:52:22 PM »

how wet then? it's mushy in parts. the sod guy set the sprinklers how he wanted them going so I just didn't touch them.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: June 18, 2014, 01:30:02 PM »

the sod guy set the sprinklers how he wanted them going so I just didn't touch them.

I am sure you are fine, then.  I had just always heard that you don't want sod mushy but to deep water every few days so that the sod isn't mushy but the ground beneath the sod is moist.  Supposedly that makes the roots bridge the gap from the sod to the ground below.

Dobbs is probably the right guy for this question, though.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 18, 2014, 01:36:50 PM »

how wet then? it's mushy in parts. the sod guy set the sprinklers how he wanted them going so I just didn't touch them.

Maybe your sod guy is a sot.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 18, 2014, 04:54:53 PM »
Early Sod Care
1. First day watering - Check your new sod a few hours after it has been laid by walking on it. If you make deep footprints, it has enough water. If the soil is firm, lift a corner of the sod to inspect. The soil on the back of the sod should be damp to wet. If it is not damp, water at least 30 minutes.

2. Second through fifth day watering - Check your lawn at least one time per day or more than once if it is hot or windy. Walk on the new lawn and inspect it. If the soil is soft and you make deep footprints, or water has puddled in areas, it is too wet and you should stop watering for awhile and reduce the amount of future watering. If the soil is firm, lift a corner of several pieces of sod. The soil should be damp, not dripping wet or dusty dry. Areas where the grass has wilted or turned straw color have not received enough water. If cracks appear between the rolls, this indicates not enough water has been applied. Water more often to correct this. Under watered sod usually will turn green again in seven days or so if corrective measures were taken soon enough. Temperatures above 80 generally mean more water is needed, and below 60 mean less water is needed. In the cooler months of March, April, October and November, sod needs much less water.

3. Further watering - After five days or so, the soil has soaked up water like a sponge and you must reduce your watering habits. Grass plant roots will not grow into waterlogged soils! Begin stretching out the time between watering. When fully rooted, most lawns need to be watered only one time per week.

4. Mowing - Mow your new grass when it needs it. Follow Long Term recommendations for the month you are in. Arrange it so you do not water just before mowing to prevent the making of footprints.

5. Fertilization - Do not apply any fertilizer for at least three weeks after installation. Then, fertilize by the program you have selected.

6. Herbicides - Do not apply any crabgrass herbicides for at least one year after installation.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 18, 2014, 04:58:44 PM »
you really mumped this up, steve dave.  applecare for lawns?

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 18, 2014, 05:00:48 PM »
If you think it's ready to mow let it dry up enough so you don't get it all rutty and footprinted up then mow it late in the day and water it good the next morning  :dunno: but pretty sure it's a good approach

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 18, 2014, 05:00:59 PM »
TLDNR? You are watering it too much. Turn down the zones that are too wet. Back them off a couple of minutes and then check again.
Also, within a week, you should have some fine root hairs growing into the soil. Pull back a corner and notice this whole sipping a miller lite.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 18, 2014, 05:02:21 PM »
Also, it's hot, keep if wet and pray for a cool week where you can water less to promote some deeper root growth.

Gonna win 'em all!

Offline Frankenklein

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 18, 2014, 05:14:13 PM »
I bet Dobbers yard is glorious 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: June 18, 2014, 05:16:33 PM »
Builder's house, mechanic's car, etc.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 18, 2014, 07:24:31 PM »
Can I mow this thing yet tho?