Author Topic: Help Steve Dave Build A House (NOW HELP HIM TAKE CARE OF IT)  (Read 175365 times)

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Re: Help Steve Dave Build A House
« Reply #825 on: April 16, 2014, 08:46:24 AM »
i don't like that rock facing at all.  rock that looks fake looks fake.

I agree.  We were going to do a wall/fireplace with that sort of facade but knew we'd end up walking into someone's house and seeing the exact same product from Home Depot or some crap.  As such we're biting the bullet and hiring to have done a real limestone version.  Sucks, but feels awesome.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 16, 2014, 08:50:54 AM »
DNR whole thread so sorry if this has been covered but are you doing the slam-proof drawers?  Those are the tits.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: April 16, 2014, 08:53:02 AM »
DNR whole thread so sorry if this has been covered but are you doing the slam-proof drawers?  Those are the tits.

No, we did full extensions but not the slow closers. It was $50 per drawer at about a million drawers for the slow close ones. the full extendsions were only $30. We also looked at the slow close cabinet doors but they were annoyingly slow to close.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: April 16, 2014, 08:59:25 AM »
What kind of water features we talking?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 16, 2014, 09:02:10 AM »

there's a stream behind our house next to the walking trail but nothing in the yard. kinda OT but the neighborhood facebook page is lit up almost daily with coyote and mountain lion sightings and people losing their crap about their pets being in danger.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 16, 2014, 09:04:40 AM »

there's a stream behind our house next to the walking trail but nothing in the yard. kinda OT but the neighborhood facebook page is lit up almost daily with coyote and mountain lion sightings and people losing their crap about their pets being in danger.

Pool?

Judge the eff out of those critters sd

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 16, 2014, 09:05:43 AM »

Pool?

no pool in my yard but the neighborhood pool is about 50 yards from the house. I'm going to put out dog food nightly for the wild animals.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 16, 2014, 09:16:43 AM »

Pool?

no pool in my yard but the neighborhood pool is about 50 yards from the house. I'm going to put out dog food nightly for the wild animals.

Get a game camera.  Seriously.  That's how my Dad is attempting to enjoy pseudo retirement.  He's not even a hunter.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 16, 2014, 09:21:06 AM »
We also decided to just do Sonos throughout the house for audio. Getting the sound bar and sub for the living room, play5 for the deck and anywhere else we want to drag it and a play1 for the master/bath. Will add from there as needed. The Sonos stuff apparently never goes on sale. But, they are participating in the Berkshire Hathaway shareholder meeting stuff at Nebraska Furniture Mart so we pre-ordered it all at cost. Got ~$150 off each of the sub and soundbar, ~$80 off the 5 and ~$30 off the 1. I don't know if the KC NFM participates in the shareholder stuff but if they do it's a pretty great deal on everything they sell (if the manufacturer participates).

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 16, 2014, 09:21:29 AM »

Pool?

Get a game camera.  Seriously.  That's how my Dad is attempting to enjoy pseudo retirement.  He's not even a hunter.

It would take pictures of people walking and jogging all day

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 16, 2014, 09:25:26 AM »

Pool?

It would take pictures of people walking and jogging all day

Hmmm, maybe some good shots of buns and cute puppies?  Set up an IFTTT recipe to auto upload to Dropbox, then crosspost to the Chive.  Profit!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: April 16, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »
Set up an IFTTT recipe to auto upload to Dropbox, then crosspost to the Chive. 

I'm sorry, I don't speak Japanese.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: April 16, 2014, 09:46:10 AM »
We also decided to just do Sonos throughout the house for audio. Getting the sound bar and sub for the living room, play5 for the deck and anywhere else we want to drag it and a play1 for the master/bath. Will add from there as needed. The Sonos stuff apparently never goes on sale. But, they are participating in the Berkshire Hathaway shareholder meeting stuff at Nebraska Furniture Mart so we pre-ordered it all at cost. Got ~$150 off each of the sub and soundbar, ~$80 off the 5 and ~$30 off the 1. I don't know if the KC NFM participates in the shareholder stuff but if they do it's a pretty great deal on everything they sell (if the manufacturer participates).
you'll really like the sonos stuff.  i want to find out more about the BH NFM sale thing.  hopefully you got a free bridge w/ the order. that's about the best deal i've seen sonos offer.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: April 16, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »
yeah steve dave set up a "game camera" but actually just use it to look at pics of soccer moms butts. :flush:
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: April 16, 2014, 10:09:01 AM »
is your HOA gonna be cool with your friday night DJamer.fm sonos sesh'n on the deck at midnight?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: April 16, 2014, 10:21:51 AM »
is your HOA gonna be cool with your friday night DJamer.fm sonos sesh'n on the deck at midnight?

:cry:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: April 16, 2014, 10:27:09 AM »
Any word on garage door opener?????? 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: April 16, 2014, 10:27:52 AM »
you'll really like the sonos stuff.  i want to find out more about the BH NFM sale thing.  hopefully you got a free bridge w/ the order. that's about the best deal i've seen sonos offer.

Just checked
http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/meet01/VisGuide2014.pdf

NEBRASKA FURNITURE MART
Shareholder Discount Tuesday, April 29
through Monday, May 5
(Available at the Omaha store only)

I'm not planning to get a bridge because the soundbar will be wired with Cat6 and the sales guy said if I had one piece wired I wouldn't need the bridge.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: April 16, 2014, 10:28:15 AM »
Any word on garage door opener??????

STILL NOPE!!!!!

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: April 16, 2014, 03:20:23 PM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: April 16, 2014, 03:30:33 PM »
yes, I am very reserved in my use of color. but this is def. not my dream house.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: April 23, 2014, 07:52:05 AM »
getting ready to order the thermostat/humidifier controls. do both the nest and the honeywell one do humidifier controls as well? of all the honeywells which one is best? they have a million.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: April 23, 2014, 09:19:59 AM »
I was going to get a Nest a while ago and ended up not getting it.  Bunch of super bad reviews on Amazon and other places. Basically they said that the Nest would not remember settings if it lost power and can cause freezing issues in the winter if it occurs at the right time, some ppl saying it trips out often and just runs super hot heat uncontrollably, some ppl saying it trips out and runs AC and Heat simultaneously.  Nest actually responded to some of these reviews and said that they recognize the problem and were working on it for the next Gen.

Also, some of the reviews were by service tech types saying they love the Nest because it keeps them busy and getting paid.

I don't have one, but just seems like a lot of neg response.   :dunno:

They sound awesome if none of the above is true.

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: April 23, 2014, 09:25:24 AM »
evil google nest /p1k3

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: April 23, 2014, 09:25:37 AM »
yeah, the guy putting in the HVAC system at my house said he wouldn't recomend them but would put the nest up if I wanted. he is having me buy whatever type I want and he will mount it so I don't think it's him trying to sell me something buy maybe :dunno:. right now he's just got the spec crappy thermostat and humidifier control boxes up. I don't want to buy a fancy thermostat and have that crappy looking humidifier control right next to it so I'd like an all in one thing if possible. nest doesn't have humidifier controls from what I can tell.