Author Topic: Manu handled; Baylor ADV  (Read 2416 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Manu handled; Baylor ADV
« on: January 14, 2017, 07:35:38 PM »

There has been plenty about the timeout, but simply put Baylor's guards, specifically Lemonte, simply outplayed ours down the stretch. Really you can say that for the majority of the game. The 2nd half defense was pathetic and Baylor destroyed us on the oboards.

DJamer and Sneed had nice games, but that's about it. In fact, in addition to the silly TO, oscar took out Sneed when Baylor started their 8-0 run to take control of the game. He was the spark on defense and offense that got us into the lead and his absence contributed to losing it.

Our guards simply aren't good enough right now. 1st, our SR swing was awful, and Brown/Stokes were only marginally better. Its sad to see so many stretches every year where Baylor's zone and length bother us so much that any offense movement and flow becomes nonexistent. Our only hope on offense at times was throwing up a 3 and hoping and that's no way to win basketball games. Drew now has won 6 of the last 7 over oscar.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
Re: Manu handled; Baylor ADV
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 07:38:51 PM »
Its not the guards, it defense. 1.15 points at home is awful.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 07:46:23 PM »

I counted Wes as a guard. Wes' 1-9/1-4 was bad enough, but Brown/Stokes combined for 5-15/4-13. That's 6-24/5-17 from our guards. Ervin had the amazing feet of playing 6 minutes and not recording one stat in the box score.

Meanwhile, Baylor's top 3 guards went 18-29/9-16.

I don't know how that is anything but bad guard play on both ends of the floor.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 07:49:59 PM »
1) We allowed 56.3 eFG% and gave up 20 2nd chance pts on 16 ORs.
2) We committed 12 TOs our first 29 Poss of the 2nd half.

That should tell you enough. Baylor 65% eFG and got 8 of the possible 14 boards in the 2nd half. Pathetic Defensive effort. 

In 29 Poss, our ave is 5 TOs. So 7 more TOs than normal the first 17 min of 2nd half.  Hell, on the 17 Poss we didn't have a TO, we scored pretty good (27 pts 17 Poss)

3) Wes was pathetic. His sucky D and TOs were as bad as his 1-9FG 3-6FT performance

4) The slow start on offense happened again. We were 4-18 FG, 3-6 FT at one point. We looked awful vs Zone first 12 minutes.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 07:53:04 PM »
baylor's defense is really good.  their offense isn't.  scoring 1.01 on their defense is much, much better than giving up 1.15 to their offense.  but their offensive explosion in the second half was just fts and oboarding, really.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 07:55:19 PM »
baylor's defense is really good.  their offense isn't.  scoring 1.01 on their defense is much, much better than giving up 1.15 to their offense.  but their offensive explosion in the second half was just fts and oboarding, really.

And hitting some 3s.

Agree that their defense is really good.

I was also very impressed with the Belgian PG.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 07:57:38 PM »

i don't think he's good, but i also hate him, so maybe i'm biased.

if baylor had a good pg, like the kind they've had in the past, they could be really, really good instead of just a pretty good team that plays great d.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 08:00:08 PM »

i don't think he's good, but i also hate him, so maybe i'm biased.

if baylor had a good pg, like the kind they've had in the past, they could be really, really good instead of just a pretty good team that plays great d.

I'm curious to why you don't think he's good. His numbers are good, but he looked really good in person too. I'd love to have him or someone even close. He's kind of like Drew's Belgian Clemente.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 08:03:14 PM »
he's fine for a miniature scoring combo, but i don't like him as the point.  also don't like his defense, he just lets those bigs bail him out.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 08:06:10 PM »
maybe it's just a bad fit at baylor because freeman can't pass for crap.  if he was with another combo maybe that'd work better.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 08:10:00 PM »

They had 9 2nd chance pts the 2nd half. I don't want to see that.....but 10-17 2 pt & 5-10 3pt is good shooting/poor Defense.

There is no question our 12 TOs in 29 Poss gave Baylor some better Offensive sets and looks tho.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:20:42 PM by Powercat Posse »

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 09:48:53 PM »
This is how bad we were 2nd half D...
BU had 36 Poss. They had 9 TOs.
They were 11-15 on FTs in 8 Poss
So they had 15 FGs(35pts) on other 19 Poss.

4 of 36 Poss we got the DR off a missed FG. Ouch

That.Is.Piss.Poor!!!!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 10:02:47 PM by Powercat Posse »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 12:38:43 AM »
Even when we led, it never ever ever felt like we were going to win that game.

The Flush, whew, he was baaaaaaddddd.

Offline 114Hickory

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 09:53:03 AM »
Wade was tentative against a good D.

Baylor had a free bucket out of every timeout.

Rebounding on both ends.

No urgency at any time during the game.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 09:54:14 AM »

Yeah, nearly every time it was just ISO a guard and drive it. We had no answer, our perimeter defense was just bad all around.

Offline 114Hickory

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 10:00:17 AM »

Yeah, nearly every time it was just ISO a guard and drive it. We had no answer, our perimeter defense was just bad all around.

Yes, this was particularly infuriating.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 01:17:10 PM »

Which is kind of crazy because I feel like the team is pretty good at playing team defense against a structured offense. But iso a guy and it's like they don't know what to do.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 01:23:14 PM »

Which is kind of crazy because I feel like the team is pretty good at playing team defense against a structured offense. But iso a guy and it's like they don't know what to do.

This is where I think our coaches do a good job. Part of defending is having a good scout and we seem to do a good job at both having a plan for the best parts of our opponents offense and having our players execute the plan. But at some point it comes down to making plays and I suppose this is what happens when you mainly have 3 star kids, especially when Brown and Stokes are smaller guards. Of course late in the game we finally put Wes on Lemonte and Baylor iso-ed again and scored anyway.

While there is some technique to rebounding, I think much of the time its an effort thing. Baylor definitely outplayed us there and on 50-50 balls in general much of the game.

Very frustrating to watch a game where that happens. Especially when many of our fans still think Drew is a bad coach.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 02:26:01 PM »

This is where I think our coaches do a good job. Part of defending is having a good scout and we seem to do a good job at both having a plan for the best parts of our opponents offense and having our players execute the plan. But at some point it comes down to making plays and I suppose this is what happens when you mainly have 3 star kids, especially when Brown and Stokes are smaller guards. Of course late in the game we finally put Wes on Lemonte and Baylor iso-ed again and scored anyway.

While there is some technique to rebounding, I think much of the time its an effort thing. Baylor definitely outplayed us there and on 50-50 balls in general much of the game.

Very frustrating to watch a game where that happens. Especially when many of our fans still think Drew is a bad coach.
I think in short, oscar just isn't good at teaching players how to play basketball, but he's pretty good with structure. His constantly yelling at players telling them where to stand and throw the ball is a reflection of this IMO.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 02:27:17 PM »
Pretty much.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 02:36:52 PM »

I think in short, oscar just isn't good at teaching players how to play basketball, but he's pretty good with structure. His constantly yelling at players telling them where to stand and throw the ball is a reflection of this IMO.

Dead on

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2017, 02:47:36 PM »
I can't stand how he yells every single trip on defense. You can't see him but sure can hear him

I can't stand how every trip on offense he is practically on the court pointing where his players should be.

I can't stand Weber I guess
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2017, 04:26:52 PM »
I can't stand how he yells every single trip on defense. You can't see him but sure can hear him

I can't stand how every trip on offense he is practically on the court pointing where his players should be.

I can't stand Weber I guess
I think he's a decent recruiter.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2017, 10:30:05 PM »

I counted Wes as a guard. Wes' 1-9/1-4 was bad enough, but Brown/Stokes combined for 5-15/4-13. That's 6-24/5-17 from our guards. Ervin had the amazing feet of playing 6 minutes and not recording one stat in the box score.

Meanwhile, Baylor's top 3 guards went 18-29/9-16.

I don't know how that is anything but bad guard play on both ends of the floor.

Our offense against the zone consisted of passing the ball laterally in 8' increments back and forth across the top of the key like the goddamn national guard hurling sandbags to make a flood wall. I would have been livid if it wasn't a rough ridin' replay of all our games against Baylor.

On the few occasions we got the ball inside the three point arc the ball appeared to excrete some kind of grease causing our forwards to fumble the ball to baylor.

It was so bad
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 10:34:15 PM by Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) »
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 10:39:16 PM »
We were constantly out of position on defense in the second half which contributed to the insane number of oboards given up. If DJamer has to leave his guy so Kamau can pick up his jock after some guy named Jake Lindsey blows by him, a 7'4" wingspan somali is going to get that weakside board over a The Flush dashing in the other direction for an outlet pass.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd